M1886 and M71 lever assemblies

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

M1886 and M71 lever assemblies

Post by Naphtali »

Okay, I've successfully avoided buying yet another lever action platform. I have a Browning M71 and a USRAC/Winchester M1886 with semipistol grip, and one of the finger lever assemblies must be changed.

Discussing only the metal involved, what Midwest parts will I need to acquire to alter the lever to be identical with the other rifle? The M1886's semipistol grip has a longer, slightly larger lever. Right now, I'm thinking that the M71's lever must be changed, but I'm going to shoot several more times with gloves to be sure.

As I look at them, it appears the lever, lower tang, plus one or two screws are all that need changing, but I'm uncertain. Regardless which way I go, the buttstock will be either altered or replaced to suit.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Hobie

Re: M1886 and M71 lever assemblies

Post by Hobie »

As I see you've not gotten any responses, I'm betting the collective just couldn't wrap their minds around the concept of making the two guns duplicates. They are what they are and they are different guns.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson