OT- kinda: closet reloading station

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT- kinda: closet reloading station

Post by Andrew »

I remember back when ScottT moved and showed a pic of his closet-sized reloading setup and was thinking today about putting something like that in my little casa.

Do any of you have set ups that may even be tailored for standing up while working? I was thinking of making a place to keep my Lee shotshell press and my future cartridge press along with the reloading paraphernalia and boxes upon boxes of ammo. Something like a pantry cabinet that opens up with a table-top in the middle and shelves and drawers and what-not.

That way I could open it up for business, take care of business and then shut it up away from the Wife and chubby little baby's tiny clepto' hands.

I also am on the idea to get one of those Lee hand presses for doing some stuff while watching a movie on the couch. Yeah.

Any ideas would be great, cause, I don't invision any shop space in the near future, but the need to reload is already upon me. :D

P.S. Feel free to post plenty of pics
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Andrew -

I made a bench for myself about a decade ago when the only room I had for one was out in the garage. It is 4 feet wide, and has a bottom cabinet as well as a top one, both connected with the back panel. A light is mounted under the top cabinet to illuminate the bench top itself. I put pegboard on the panel between the top and bottom cabinets to hang often-used reloading tools and such. This was made from 2x4's and OSB - pretty inexpensive.

I liked it so much that I still use it, even though in the house I am in now I have a ton of room in the basement. As you can see, it is tall enough to work at comfortably either standing or using a bar (high) stool.

What I like most about it is the top I designed, which is extremely flexible. Here it is with one of my presses mounted on it.

If I want to switch to a different press, I just unscrew the two butterfly bolts, and take out the press, mounted on an insert.

I then can put a different press in the "slot". I have mounted all of my presses on their own inserts, along with a couple other reloading tools...

...such as my case trimmer...

... or my vibratory cleaner...

I even have just a flat blank in case I want to put my Tipton gun holder on the bench while cleaning a gun. The system is very flexible, easy to build, and takes all of 30 seconds - if you're taking your time - to switch out presses and what not.

I really like it. It can be tailor-fit to almost any size space to boot! :D

Good luck - let us know what you make!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I don't have pictures showing the whole setup, but hopefully you can see that it all (just reloading, not casting and gunsmithing) stuff is in one closet.

It's in an otherwise unused room for now, but the closet has it's own lock and works pretty well.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

20Cows, you do, indeed, have a very nice little closet reloading room! Nice.

I don't really have a closet to reload in, but my reloading bench does fit in a closet. Here's a photo ...
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Some very nice bench ideas there. I can't add much to them (since I still need to build one), but I can second the idea of a Lee handloader. Very convenient to size and de-prime while you're watching TV (or the little fella/gal). Takes up no space, and it's always nice to have as a backup when you get your bench built, or to take on the road with you or to the range for those on-the-spot tweaks to your loads.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Hey Kid,
Nicely tought out set up. I bet Mrs. Winters is still looking for her flashlight :D

When I moved from my last house where I had a nice big room for my stuff in the basement space wasn't a problem.

Fast forward 10 years. New house, new wife, two steps-sons and a WHOLE lot of STUFF!!

The only place left for my stuff was the old coal bin under the old part of the house. It's about 5' x 8' x 6'3" high. I have just enough room to stand up. I ran a bench down either side with a swivel stool in the middle. One side is for cleaning and repairs the other for reloading. Just outside the door is metal shelving for loaded ammo and cans and an old couch cushion for when the dog comes down to hang :)
Not Ideal but it works.

I like the closet idea and I've been meaning to order one of those hand presses.
8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Andrew:

Back in the 70s there was a one-page article in the American Rifleman for a "closet" loading bench that was constructed of 3/4" plywood into a hollow rectangular box about 24" x 24" x 30" high. The "front" wall, 24" x 30", had slots cut in it for access, and it was intended to put magazines, books, bullets, etc in there to weight the thing down. There was a "midwall" in the center inside of the box, running from front to back, dividing the box interior into two sections and providing support to the top, to which was bolted the reloading press.

I built such a box for use in my apartment during the last couple years of college and the first few years of working until I bought a house. It was compact and handy, and worked just fine. It literally resided in a closet.

I saved the article and can send you a photocopy if you PM me your mailing address. It had plans and cutting dimension details.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

my setup is pretty simple, as I am only loading three calibers: .38/357, 45lc, 45-70. I have a dillon press on the end of my huge navy work table, and the other items fit under the table until needed. My scale, tumbler, and powder/brass/primers resider (in ammo cans) and loading book take up very little room under the table. My molds and melting furnace and lead reside in garage. Loaded ammo in plastic boxes are sorted by caliber and stored near the gun rack.

I keep my blackpowder items in another large carry box which has powder, primers, balls, caps and cleaning gear for my 2 1851's, 2 ROA's, and my .54 flintlock. Molds for the balls and bullets for these guns are in the garage.

YK, another well thought out design. thanks for sharing
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Mine is way to dirty right now to show a pic of. I really need to get it set back up where it is more efficient.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

I have not made this yet, but I have heard of a design where a small table is built/bought. Screw a section of plywood to it that has a square cut out of it at the front edge of the table. (Think of a “Uâ€
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My stuff is a little more spread out, but by in large I could keep it all in the wardrobe & the Hospital Table...

Between the 2 presses and the Vice/Anvil I can load about anything and adjust the height at will.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

rjohns94 wrote:I keep my blackpowder items in another large carry box which has powder, primers, balls, caps and cleaning gear for my 2 1851's, 2 ROA's, and my .54 flintlock.
Me too. 8)

This is all good stuff guys, keep it coming! :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

This fits a little cubbyhole, in our laundry room. I found an old bedside table that works just fine. I rotate the table, for charging, then back.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote:Hey Kid,
Nicely tought out set up. I bet Mrs. Winters is still looking for her flashlight :D
that and other things she hasn't tied down! :wink:

I also use a Lee hand press for de-priming. In fact, it is always my first (and anymore my only) choice for that chore!!! :D