Hobo knives?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Hobo knives?

Post by Old Savage »

Experience, recommendations?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hobo knives?

Post by GunnyMack »

Not really any experience here but I haven't left the house without my Swiss Army knife in 40 years.
I always have it, always will. Just too handy to have.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I habitually carry a Kershaw lockback on a pocket clip. Never leave home without one.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've had/used two different brands for the last 25-30 years, that mostly ride in the glove compartment of my two vehicles - but come together when I attend game dinners.

A Boker set (w/integral salt/pepper shakers) that's more of a utility set than a hobo knife, and which un-sheaths for use

And a Ka-Bar, which slides apart for separation into knife/fork/spoon

(I was too lazy to retrieve the sets from my vehicles & photograph them, so I stole pics of them online)

The Ka-Bar feels more robust of the two sets, as the utensils have no plastic handles like the Boker.

The Boker utensils are solid-feeling, but much lighter than the Ka-Bar's.

Both knives cut fine, but I prefer the Ka-Bar knife's sharp point to the Boker.

In actual use, however, the the Ka-Bar's fork is very awkward to use, since it's straight (and not curved like the Boker or a household fork) because it has to fold into it's handle by design - which allows any food pierced with it to slide right off as it's mover mouthward.

If I attend a game dinner alone, I usually use the Ka-Bar set with the Boker fork, for my most comfortable use - since the Boker fork is curved to allow the plastic spoon the nestle between the fork/knife when sheathed.

If I could find a folding hobo knife that has the spoon outside one side & the fork outside the opposite side (so both would be curved), I'd most likely buy it.

In any case, I would firmly suggest NOT buying any hobo set w/o first actually handling, opening/closing the set, and think deeply about the actual use of each of the three (usually) utensils.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Liking the idea of that Boker set!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

AG Russell has all kinds of knife stuff, be a good place to start lookin.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If it doesn't come completely apart for washing, I shudder at all the food poisoning that can hide in the dang thing..... :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I remember using the old style hobo as a kid and definitely like the Ka bar or Boker above much better. It was not very practical switching between utensils when they are all on the same knife. I also recall thinking it was really cool and fun. I have a really cool spork in my lightweight mountaineering kit and I always have several knives so one in the kit is redundant.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

sore shoulder Agreed PITA

BlaineG After soap & water, Wash with white gas – All germs dead
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ben_Rumson wrote:sore shoulder Agreed PITA

You're pulling my leg, right? :?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

BlaineG wrote:
Ben_Rumson wrote:sore shoulder Agreed PITA

You're pulling my leg, right? :?
I used Coleman fuel to wash a deer tick bite out that left its head in me, scraped it out and held a soaked paper towel over it for a few minutes.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/NXKT50 ... -combo-set

Here is a choice but I otdered the Case Amber Bone.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

For real Blaine.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ben_Rumson wrote:For real Blaine.
I stand corrected. :lol: You rinse it off real good? Dang stuff tastes like...ummm....GAS...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ordered the KaBar and the Nextorch above. We shall see.

mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

We sometimes get what we call, "Chinese Takeaway" when we are out travelling in the car.

Chinese, Thai, Indian.....

They usually provide the cheapest plastic utensils. Straight into the bin.

No substitute for a s/s knife, fork and spoon, $--.

A rubber band around them and into a plastic bag before and after they are used.

Unless I am missing the point, why bother with a flash "hobo" gizmo?.

In my experience, you can scrounge a perfectly serviceable k, f and s without much effort.

Bon appetite, Mark.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well of course Mark we could always just carry utensils but what fun would that be.

BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

Somewhere in my house there is one of those Boker sets but I can't find it. I bought myself one of the Case Hobos with the amber bone handle but I've not tried to eat with it yet.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

OK, everyone needs a "hobo" knife of sorts.

It would go well with my case, victorinox, puma, schrade, opinel ....., pocket knives.

Opinel are currently my point of interest.

Let alone the butcher's and other fixed blade knives.

It's always a pleasure interacting on this site.

Cheers Mark
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Maybe I will also get the $3 Walmart version to compare.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Well spoken my good DR. I reckon that I need to get out a couple of sets that I have from the late 1940's and early 1950's from my scouting days. If I can come up with them I will email you pictures, can't do picture here anymore.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

My daughter gave me this one a year or so ago. She gave them to her brothers as well and one or both fell apart while they were unfolding them. I have not been able to find country of origin and the only word on the knife is stainless.

The concept is OK. I mostly eat with a spoon and I forged one for travel and camping. For anything not spoonable I eat with my knife blade much as my ancestors did before the Earl of Fork started the fad. The problem with this item is that you have to decide between knife and spoon or fork and spoon. Inconvenient Al.

I think that the corkscrew has uses beyond the libation one and plan to forge a couple because I can. I've used my pocket knife as a can opener, so that's covered.

I'm not enamoured with the all-in-one stuff, but this one seems to be a reasonable template.
5234c.JPG
5228c.JPG
and, a shot of my forged camp spoon. it allows me to empty a peanut butter container or milkshake without getting sticky fingers. the one in the works now is being formed from O1 tool steel. Heh.
5235c.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I received the Case Hobo and some things like the Model 94 Winchester are cool because they are cool and this is one of them. Strong elegance I would call it. I would note that the hinge pin on the knife appears to be much more robust than their standard pocket knives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

totally agree, the Case is elegant and a good example of U.S. superiority
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Still coming, the KaBar version and the one from NexTorch.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Well, DOH !

Grizz's picture reminded me of two that I had completely forgotten about....... :roll:

The straight (not curved) folding fork (only) is marked "Edwin Jay" (model), " Coricama" (maker), & "Made in Italy".

The full hobo is a "jigged bone" handled item, marked "Colonial" ( Knife Co), "Prov. R.I." and "stainless", and does not separate the fork/spoon for separate use. :(

I guess I already had what I said earlier that I'd like to find (a curved folding fork hobo).

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Old Savage wrote:I received the Case Hobo and some things like the Model 94 Winchester are cool because they are cool and this is one of them. Strong elegance I would call it. I would note that the hinge pin on the knife appears to be much more robust than their standard pocket knives.
Thats a nice one, I like the way it separates.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Received the KaBar today as pictured above by Pete, very utilitarian with all the charm of brushed stainless from China. As some else mentioned you might proudly take the Case to a game night dinner. The KaBar might be more at home with Vienna Sausages and a a can of beans on a tail gate. May be like a Sharps compared to a Handi Rifle.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is the NexTool solution from NexTorch. The fork is curved and the knife is sharp and locks. Sells for about $15.

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I like the Case. They make really nice equipment.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Old Savage wrote:Here is the NexTool solution from NexTorch. The fork is curved and the knife is sharp and locks. Sells for about $15.

I'm likin' that, Fred........... so much, that I just ordered one from knifecenter.com !

Thanks for finding & posting the pics/etc !

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Pete, glad to be of help. Thanks for taking that tang sight off my hands. Hate those things. :) ... Hobo knives: They all have their advantages but that one is the best for just eating. Probably put one in the glove compartment. The Case comes apart for use. The KaBar lets you take it apart or leave it together.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Acquired the $4 Walmart version for my daughter so she would have a set and use what tools she wants in combo with the take apart or leave it togther option. I will be on the lookout for other options. It too has the curved fork.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

After a few days with these I would have to say the KaBar has it for convient utility. Comes apart to three sections or you can use it with the knife together with either section while the other is separate. You can of course use any single tool with it all together and the knife locks. You can throw it in the dishwasher. But alas, it only has the straight fork. But perfect for martini olives.