Here is a role model!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Here is a role model!

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Unlike the smucks in the NFL I just posted about... (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66774)

Accountability, Canadian Style
By Charles Paige
Aug. 29, 2016

So that’s what accountability and integrity look like, eh… The Commanding General of Canadian Special Forces recently demonstrated “what right looks like.” During a trip to visit his troops fighting the Islamic State in Iraq, Major General Mike Rouleau inadvertently discharged his weapon while preparing to depart friendly lines. In the military this is a serious violation referred to as a negligent discharge — even though he didn’t intend to fire the weapon, he is a professional and is expected to handle the tools of his trade accordingly. In his own words, “As a soldier and as a special operations assaulter, the only acceptable standard of care with a weapon is error-free.” As the senior officer present he could easily have shrugged it off and rationalized not reporting the incident based on his position, his long record of service, the importance of the mission — or any number of other excuses. He could have even argued that no “reasonable” convening authority (a rough military equivalent of a district attorney) would deem it a punishable offense. Instead, he self-reported the violation to his boss (the Chief of Canadian Defense Forces) and will likely now face a court martial. Not only did he not try to hide his mistake, he admitted it openly in a message to all Canadian Special Operations troops:

I made a mistake, I reported the mistake and I own my mistake 100 per cent. Accountability is the bedrock of our discipline. … As the commanding general, I am every bit as accountable as the youngest private in the force. Accountability underpins our actions … especially as leaders (emphasis added).

While the potential penalties for a negligent discharge are relatively minor and the court martial panel may elect not to impose any punishment (and may not even find him guilty), the general chose to put his career at risk rather compromise his integrity — service before self. This stands in sharp contrast to the actions and subsequent justifications taken by other senior officials south of the border who deliberately and repeatedly put their own self-interest and convenience ahead of all other considerations.

Seems to me that when one earns "membership" in the elite forces of volunteer military of any of the major countries, certain traits rise to the surface regardless of the country. Honor is at the top of that list.

Now, this is a true role model!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Here is a role model!

Post by gamekeeper »

I can respect a man who makes a mistake and owns up to it , rather than a man who says he has "never ever" made a mistake.
I hope the General gets sentenced to several days at the range.... :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I respect that he has the ethical standard to do the right thing, however, I seriously doubt that his career is in any danger.

High ranking officers stroke each other like teenagers on Prom night.

:roll:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote:I can respect a man who makes a mistake and owns up to it , rather than a man who says he has "never ever" made a mistake.
Now that is a punishment I wish someone would give me! :mrgreen:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I made an error or two during my military service. I found that fessing up usually resulted in a slap on the wrist instead of a full on flogging. So, it's not just restricted to the officer corps when it comes to mild punishment when one breaks the rules.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Too bad Hillary is from a different planet when it comes to such integrity.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:Too bad Hillary is from a different planet when it comes to such integrity.
Planet? You meant 'galaxy'!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I was around the Special Forces a couple of times in my 3 years in the good ol' boy network known as the U S Army. The Special Forces were the best of the bunch as far as integrity went. I had only 1 Sergeant and 1 officer whom I would accuse of having integrity. Both former Green Berets. Worst liar and worst officer I had was a West Point ring knocker. It seems to me that the Special units cared more about doing it right than getting promoted. I salute that Canadian General for his integrity.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'm proud of this guy and I'm not even Canadian. Doing the right thing is no respecter of something as silly as national boundaries.
Montana_Jon
Levergunner

Post by Montana_Jon »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
gamekeeper wrote:I can respect a man who makes a mistake and owns up to it , rather than a man who says he has "never ever" made a mistake.
Now that is a punishment I wish someone would give me! :mrgreen:
My hat is off to this Canadian General.
"I own but one levergun, a Winchester 94, 30-30 circa 1976"