Seriously - the 'meltdown' scenario...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Seriously - the 'meltdown' scenario...

Post by AJMD429 »

I may read too many 'apocalypse' books, but the real 'weak-link' if there ever IS a bad times scenario seems NOT to be "what gun(s)" but "what network(s)".

Realistically, NONE of us is likely to have enough ammo or firearms to hold off the "hordes" if society ever melted down totally.

I would think the 'ideal' situation would be to live in a remote, hard-to-access, area, and with a like-minded community of individuals, whether you want to label them 'survivalists' or 'realists' or whatever.

The novel 'One Second After' illustrates this concept, although what eventually destabilizes our society may be not an EMP, but an epidemic, famine, nuclear war, or economic collapse.

It occurs to me that if all the 'leverguns' folks were in one county, we'd do pretty well, but of course we're not.

As freedom-loving, morally-Christian individuals, what do you think the best odds are of 'surviving' the stuff our political 'establishment' seems bent on loosing on the nation....?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Seriously - the 'meltdown' scenario...

Post by Blaine »

Sadly, I believe FEMA, LEOs, and Military would swoop in for the rescue, and people would be forced into camps. The camps would be devoid of weapons. Those that get away from the camps would be treated as hostiles, and dealt with harshly.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'll take the harsh.

Because I'm already hostile.

:evil:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

check out the book "Lights Out". Sorta like One Second After, but set in Texas with the main character being more-or-less ready.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:The novel 'One Second After' illustrates this concept, although what eventually destabilizes our society may be not an EMP, but an epidemic, famine, nuclear war, or economic collapse.
As freedom-loving, morally-Christian individuals, what do you think the best odds are of 'surviving' the stuff our political 'establishment' seems bent on loosing on the nation....?
50/50.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Novels are fun, and entertaining...but, that's it. I'm on the edge of the Cascades, and I can hide for awhile.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I could ramble on and fill the page but The average American could just kiss their *** Goodbye. not enough food, fresh water, ammo, medical supply's, or in the north when the power supply is trashed how to stay warm when you have a winter like last year? much less trying to keep roving bands of thieves at bay .
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I live in a tiny town. The corner of No & Where was here, but then they moved it. Good, Christian people. Ninety-five percent are neighbors in the 1930's sense of the word.

I think I could ride out the storm, my largest issue could be heat in the winter.

I'll take my chances right here. I really hope to never move again.

Cat
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

There's a small town 15 miles from here that has a sign on the restaurant billboard that says, (and I may not get this 100% word for word)
Welcome to Hedrick
We have 842 fine residents and
most have concealed carry.
We have 0 jails and
2 cemeteries
Enjoy your stay!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ya gotta like that!! :wink:
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Doc you kinda covered increasing your odds by networking. Make friends with your neighbors. Not to mention you have probably the most valuable skill set there is. I wish I had a doctor or a nurse for a neighbor. Combat care and first aid is woefully deficient when you have no long term care to get someone to. Food and ammo are useless if you can't survive a deep cut or bullet wound because you don't have skills or supplies. I'm sure there's a good book on this somewhere.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD429 wrote:I may read too many 'apocalypse' books, but the real 'weak-link' if there ever IS a bad times scenario seems NOT to be "what gun(s)" but "what network(s)".

Realistically, NONE of us is likely to have enough ammo or firearms to hold off the "hordes" if society ever melted down totally.

I would think the 'ideal' situation would be to live in a remote, hard-to-access, area, and with a like-minded community of individuals, whether you want to label them 'survivalists' or 'realists' or whatever.

The novel 'One Second After' illustrates this concept, although what eventually destabilizes our society may be not an EMP, but an epidemic, famine, nuclear war, or economic collapse.

It occurs to me that if all the 'leverguns' folks were in one county, we'd do pretty well, but of course we're not.

Have your read Lucifer's Hammer? Best EOTWAWKI book written. The author does a pretty good job explaining away why the hordes are somewhat limited. Although those that are left are pretty nasty folks.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

1894cfan wrote:check out the book "Lights Out". Sorta like One Second After, but set in Texas with the main character being more-or-less ready.
Yep.
That's why I stayed in the community that I'm in. Safety in numbers.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

You could live in a big city and try to bail.....
And fail....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... Rzr4xeCW_w
Kind regards,
Tycer
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Tycer wrote:You could live in a big city and try to bail.....
And fail....

That link contains an executable program that wants to download to my computer, and my Avira does not like it one little bit.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Tom Gresham has a saying, INTOT. I Never Thought Of That. I think that might be the good side of reading the fictional books, to make you think of possibilities.

One Second After, Alas Babylon, The World Ends in Hickory Hollow, will all make you think. One conclusion I think you'll draw from them all is that you can't go it alone.

My wife is an RN so that would help a lot. There are also some good books if you look up DITCH MEDICINE. "Where there is No Doctor" and "Where there is no Dentist" might help.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

When it comes right down to it, the REAL things in life are
  • 1. Faith
    2. Family
    3. Friends
    4. Firearms
    5. Food/Water/Shelter
Sadly, #4 wouldn't have to be on the list as other than a hobby, were it not for the inherent nature of humans to prey on one another, and governments to be destructive of life and liberty.

Pretty much the further down on the list, the more likely the ones above it will enable you to get it...

I think the biggest weakness for those of us who don't live in a 'close-knit, remote rural community' would be the lack of a defensible place to be gathered. Most of us live on our own someplace, and even if it is 'rural', and you have a dozen like-minded friends within a twenty mile radius, who would want to relocate to someone else's place and abandon everything they worked for or accumulated/laid out strategically...?

For that matter, if the disaster were an EMP, how many people would be able to communicate with anyone more than 1000 yards away...???
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

BlaineG wrote:
Tycer wrote:You could live in a big city and try to bail.....
And fail....

That link contains an executable program that wants to download to my computer, and my Avira does not like it one little bit.....
Google The Bug Out by David Crawford
Kind regards,
Tycer
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Funny business. I read Revelation last night, most of it. That's the real up-and-coming actual apocalypse scenario.

the little bits we see here-and-now are the premonitions.

the guns and jeeps and outback hideouts are the placebos, and regardless cannot put off the enevitable face-to-face with Christ. if we aren't ready for that, we aren't prepared for anything.

unless I am IN CHRIST, the rest of the preps are pointless. because what is revealed in Revelation is really going to happen, the history told ahead of time. for us. to. prepare. for that appointment.

Revelation is the real deal, the fiction is just ..., fiction.

Sincerely, Etc.,
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:Funny business. I read Revelation last night, most of it. That's the real up-and-coming actual apocalypse scenario.

the guns and jeeps and outback hideouts are the placebos, and regardless cannot put off the enevitable face-to-face with Christ. if we aren't ready for that, we aren't prepared for anything.

unless I am IN CHRIST, the rest of the preps are pointless. because what is revealed in Revelation is really going to happen, the history told ahead of time. for us. to. prepare. for that appointment.

Sincerely, Etc.,
Where does it say you can't do/be both? I'm not going to let a "premonition" ruin what little safety I can provide for myself until judgement day comes.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I didn't say that it said that. I said something else that it did say, as a coincidental convergance with the original post, somewhat pointing out . . . . oh well.
BlaineG wrote:
Grizz wrote:Funny business. I read Revelation last night, most of it. That's the real up-and-coming actual apocalypse scenario.

Sincerely, Etc.,
Where does it say you can't do/be both? I'm not going to let a "premonition" ruin what little safety I can provide for myself until judgement day comes.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:I didn't say that it said that. I said something else that it did say, as a coincidental convergance with the original post, somewhat pointing out . . . . oh well.
BlaineG wrote:

Sincerely, Etc.,
My bad.... 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:
Grizz wrote:I didn't say that it said that. I said something else that it did say, as a coincidental convergance with the original post, somewhat pointing out . . . . oh well.
BlaineG wrote:

Sincerely, Etc.,
My bad.... 8)
Nah, I haven't found anything bad in you that isn't common to all of us. Plus you are a good shot so that's a useful thing too. :lol:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Some of us are rather looking forward to being on the pointy end of Armageddon/Ragnarok....

Like I like t say...

Ragnarok & Roll baby... (Armageddon & Dead'em?... naah doesn't scan...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Interesting topic.....

Being 63 years old, I've been through three or four periods in my life where folks started to be greatly concerned about bad times.

I remember neighbors building bomb shelters in the 60s

The race riots that followed burned down lots of inner cities. This was a WILD time in many states.

The 1970 oil embargo caused one of my friends to sell everything, including a very successful business, and "go underground" with wife and three kids.......I haven't heard from him since. Have no idea where he ended up. Lots of folks thought this was the end of civilization

Remember Yk2000.....Folks burying food and firearms in the back yard. One of the best years for generator sales in US history!....Three months later the want ads were full of generators for sale.

Go back through history and look at all the amazing economic downturns this country and the world weathered. The human spirit is quite amazing.....(see: Dark Ages / Plague)

Anyways.....I recently read some interesting tidbits on the subject.

There is less than 30 days food in the supply chain here in USA......Once power is out and trucks stop rolling, the food situation gets dire VERY quickly

So...We go hunting. With 330,000,000 folks and roughly 40,000,000 hunters or hunter "wannabes", the eatable supply of wild animals would be wiped out in 30 days or less. Pets would soon be on the menu

Heat would be one of if not the biggest issue. Europe depleted its forests in the dark ages with much fewer folks. And most homes in the USA have no way of heating without electricity and fossil fuel.

If you live WAY out in the country, and have a vegitarian diet, and a root cellar, and a coal mine......you might just make it. But like the bomb shelter folks.....what would the next phase look like......do you really want to be a part of it....Good questions!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

I believe the reality will be if there is any break down, therewill be a laxck of potable water before anything else becomes a major problem. That will almost immediately result in pandemic explosions of disease, typhoid, salmonella, amebiasis, nematodiasis(?), any almost any other form of communicatable disease. There will be a quick decrease in population numbers, and the decaya nd such resulting will cause more disease. Rural areas may have some degree of protection by isolation, but not indefinetly. Lack of electricity will and the lack of water pumping etc will still result in water shortage in areas where surface water is not safe. Lack of refrigeration is self explanatory.
Ive always been amused by the "prepper" movement. Down on the farm thats always been a normal day. A gentleman that once worked for me had "homesteaded" in NM in the 60s and 70s. He said many of the old timers living there when asked about the great depression said they had heard about it but never understood what it was since it didnt affect them at all.
The whole scenario might do wonders in re-establishing values in this country.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Back when half or more of the nation lived on farms and was 'self-sufficient', the other half of the population could be helped (or shot), but nowdays, there are maybe one in a thousand people with a truly 'self-sufficient' lifestyle, and 999 others who will be surrounding their place and using violence to take whatever they want.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Rbertalotto said it pretty well. I agree.
I consider myself done if the Pelosi hits the fan...I'm well known as are my buds who think the same way. Safety for yourself and your family is in your home and you need to be prepared but that don't mean nothing if your one in a hundred who the cops know about.

The only thing you can do is fight for yourself the best you can until it's lights out.

The government can EASILY control most of us by our stomachs.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

So...We go hunting. With 330,000,000 folks and roughly 40,000,000 hunters or hunter "wannabes", the eatable supply of wild animals would be wiped out in 30 days or less. Pets would soon be on the menu
In my opinion that is a huge, huge overestimation. More than half are women, and children, and they will allow themselves to be swept up into FEMA-controlled care. The majority of the remainder are in urban areas and have no clue how to forage for wild food, or the hood rats of all colors will feed on each other's supplies until they are all thinned out. Clearly, a city is not the place to be. Marauding Mulattos that will kill you for your wallet would not hesitate to kill you for your supplies. Incidents of cannibalism will no doubt occur. It will be necessary to find a band of like-minded trustworthy people, like the forumites here, to survive.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Wait here....this is America. Did you ever notice that in countries like Iraq, areas of China, Russia, Japan...after the bomb....,even the extremely heavily damaged countries of war torn areas of WW2...most all of Europe.....whatever....I am no history expert........that......at least I never read about...........there were not times of every-man-for-himself. I never read of times where roving bands of bad guys systematically murdered large amounts of people to get food...whatever. I'm sure it happened but there was always some kind of control.

The only time I could see anything of those proportions happening would be like some kind of a huge bomb or plague. Like I said, I'm only a peon factory worker but can someone enlighten me on a dooms day senerio?.....----6

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:Wait here....this is America. Did you ever notice that in countries like Iraq, areas of China, Russia, Japan...after the bomb....,even the extremely heavily damaged countries of war torn areas of WW2...most all of Europe.....whatever....I am no history expert........that......at least I never read about...........there were not times of every-man-for-himself. I never read of times where roving bands of bad guys systematically murdered large amounts of people to get food...whatever. I'm sure it happened but there was always some kind of control.

The only time I could see anything of those proportions happening would be like some kind of a huge bomb or plague. Like I said, I'm only a peon factory worker but can someone enlighten me on a dooms day senerio?.....----6
I think we see it every time there is an emergency, flood, hurricane etc in a large urban area with lot's of hood rats of every color.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Blaine,
I hear ya and I will agree that things that happened in New Orleans were a reality...but a small reality. If things got real bad during Katrina the Feds would have sent in someone...don't know who...maybe the Black Panthers :D

I just can't see a total or a near total meltdown happening....maybe I'm wrong. You get my point? Like those TV movies where people band together and form their own little armies..etc

At this stage of my life, I'd probably welcome it. Bring out the BAR!!!! :D ----6

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Years ago I had a close friend that was a army ranger in Nam, was a NEW christian and was a survivalist to the max. One day I said, Ski, you believe in God and are a survivalist. I said isn't a christian suppose to believe God will protect them in the last days? He thought for a second and said, "I guess I am just hedging my bet."
I had another close friend that was a old bachelor. He was a right winger to the max. He was a regular on a talk show about it etc. He even wrote a book or pamphlet sort of trying to get a group together to buy some land in the middle of nowhere, outfitting it "for the day" and wanted all kinds of specialist`s like a doctor, farmers, etc. As aside, he was also a tv bit actor that some of you would remember. Probably was the biggest right winger in Hollywood. Dead now. He also didn't believe there was a Holocaust. I wont name him.
At 75, a christian, I have pretty much lived my life and really don't worry about it. HOWEVER, I do worry for my grand kids and the new young generation coming up because I believe they will see bad times and/or possibly Armageddon.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

can someone enlighten me on a dooms day senerio?.....
sure, there are a few . . .

EMP strike. everything electric stops working. the sun can do it, iran can do it, and probably the norcos can too. no electricity. no cars or buses. no beer or pizza deliveries. anywhere. doesn't take much above a fourth grade pay level to figure out what happens next when the mobs do the locust thing.

Azores island landslide puts a 200 meter tsunami aboard the east coast. The lowlanders drown like rats. doesn't take much imagination to see what's next. See item 1.

The Yellowstone supervolcano erupts. The immediate effect starts at the 500 mile radius and extends to much of the midwest. The ash cloud blocks out the sun. Almost all American agriculture is stopped, and the weather effects on the rest of the earth can last years. drought, famine, disease, disorder, etc. See item 1.

The Cascadia subduction zone lets loose the big way. The entire west coast is affected. Wa and Or are wiped clean about to I5. Power is out. Transportation is for los ricos only. Unless you can row a boat. No groceries. No electricity. No city sewer. It would be like the Indonesian tsunami with many times the casualties, and loss of most infrastructure. Most Americans cannot cope with this. See No. 1.

The traitorship decides to forgo elections and remain in power. For every one of their kind, a dozen straight people are at risk. See the rehearsal in Dallas 2 nights ago. People are disarmed and herded into the FEMA concentration camps.

The Shofar sounds and the Voice that sounds like an archangel is heard around the world saying "Come up here!"

Lots of possibilities.