Shot load for black powder revolver...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Shot load for black powder revolver...?

Post by AJMD429 »

Still working on a Carpenter Bee Safari load....
  • 22 LR shot not enough range

22 WMR shot significantly better, but very pricey

410 out of a Contender should work, but isn't cheap either, and pellets are too big/few
The side-blast from a 338 Lapua does work [ :twisted: ], but you can't exactly fire that round skyward safely, and it ain't cheap either.

So.......I do have this 1858 Navy revolver.....???

Anyone who has used shot loads in a cap & ball revolver...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Shot load for black powder revolver...?

Post by Daisyman »

How about a load with NO shot. The blast of the powder should be enough to take them out. :wink:
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Doc, you can load shot shells for .38, .44, and .45 Colt by using gas checks instead of buying the Speer shotshell capsules. Seat the gas check cup up over the powder, dip case full of shot place the gas check over the shot cup down and crimp it a little. I have loaded a lot of these for my old Colt .45 before Speer started making the .45 Colt capsules.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

+1 on a blank load for a BP Pistol. I have used 20 grains of P- pyrodex or FFFG BP and then top off the cylinder with cream of wheat and packed tight. This is a Blank Load used by reenactors.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

The problem with Black Powder is the after effect of the wad and unburned powder. You can start a fire.

For a 44 cal. C&B revolver measure out about 150 gr. of shot. And substitute for the ball. vary your powder charge according to the distance you are covering. You should be able to get 30 gr. of 3F in the chambers.
Powder first in the chamber, then a card wad over the powder, then the shot, covered by another card wad.
Then I would cover the shot card with some Crisco or other type of Lube of your choice.
Use some #9 shot if you can get it.

Good luck, don't burn what ever down.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lefty Dude wrote:The problem with Black Powder is the after effect of the wad and unburned powder. You can start a fire. . . . Good luck, don't burn what ever down.
Thanks...good point. Will try to limit safari hours to damp times of day and won't shoot inside.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Mounted Cowboy Action shooters use a straight load of Holy Black in a .45 LC to bust their balloons.g

I know it ain't gunnin, but did you ever thing of a trap instead?

A wooden plug with a hole in it atop a grass bottle. Look on the web for plans.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

First thing that springs to mind is multi chambers loaded with shot may come loose and spill shot everywhere!.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I recall reading some tests that Sam Fadala (an excellent writer, tester and hunter for BP) did with using shot loads in BP Revolvers; if I recall correctly, the twist of the rifling opened up holes in the middle of the patterns, and some looked like "donuts" with a big hole in the middle.

But then again, you'd probably get all the bees on the edges! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I've shot a few but its been years ago and don't remember the results. You should get the same kind of patterns a modern revolver with rifling gives. I used the lubed felt wads and they don't need any more lube added. I've never had any problems with the black powder causing a fire hazard. The fire hazards have always been the patch and wad material I've used.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I found the "donut effect" increased as the shot size increased when I was experimenting with the .327 Federal Magnum making shot loads a couple months ago. Finally got in some #12 shot from Ballistic Products, and need to load it up. The smallest shot I had on hand before was #9. I'm expecting good things from the #12 shot based on what the #9 did. I used 3 grains of Unique, card wad, filled the case with shot (about 60 grains), then over-shot card. I just punched the cards out of coasters from restaurants using a 5/16" wad punch. It worked very well, is really economical, and not overly load (my intent is to use this on venomous snakes in my yard, and I live in a fairly tight neighborhood [yards average about 1/3-1/2 acre]).
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have to agree with the "blank" percussion load also. If I can pop balloons from about 15' with nothing but a 45Colt case almost full of 2F and a bit of that stuff florists use to hold flower arrangements, (yes, I competed in mounting shooting, winning a few buckles), I strongly suspect killing a bumble bee ain't gonna prove impossible.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

My bro and I found that badmitten rackets are extremely effective and almost as much fun as shooting. But returning the serve takes a definite skill that can only be learned by doing. We had a big 'ole pile of bees when we were done.
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:
Lefty Dude wrote:The problem with Black Powder is the after effect of the wad and unburned powder. You can start a fire. . . . Good luck, don't burn what ever down.
Thanks...good point. Will try to limit safari hours to damp times of day and won't shoot inside.
If you're worried about fire/unburnt powder etc, use Trail Boss instead of Black in your blanks.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!