Need help Marlin 32 SPL ???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Need help Marlin 32 SPL ???

Post by mohavesam »

Any recent experience/pricing advice on a Marlin LA in 32 Special?

No I don't know if its a 336, or what the model is - it is s/n E817xx and it looks older than the 1963 cutoff.
Smooth Walnut, no checkering, no spacers or grip cap.
Not D&T but has the wavy topped receiver.
Sheet metal buckhorn rear.
Pistol grip and pot-bellied forearm.

Its in an auction nearby on Sat. Any help in date of birth and/or price range for a 90%+ gun, wood and metal. I've cycled it and it is nice and tight and bolt snaps closed. Just don't know if it's a $400 gun or a $900 gun (range accepted of course).
thx in advance...
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need help Marlin 32 SPL ???

Post by jdad »

1st year of production 336......1948. You don't say if it's a Carbine, Sporting Carbine, or Rifle? $400-$500 depending......and don't forget to add your "buyers premium" into the picture. 90% is "shooter" grade so don't over pay.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Excellent, thanks!
I think it may be a CS? 20" barrel, 3/4 magazine.? If it is the first or second year, did they offer all three options?
I think I need it. ;)
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

SC is the 20" 3/4 mag carbine. Sold mine a couple years ago for $450 @ 85% gun. If you can get for $400 it would be a very good deal.

Byron
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If it's a "A" or "SC" and it's 90% or better and I wanted it I wouldn't be afraid to go $600+ . The "RC" guns do not hold as much weight with me but I have seen them in very nice shape go above $600 as well .

Actually if I ever got the desire for a 30-30 class lever again a 336SC or 336A that was Pre 1955 in 32 Special would be my choice . Nothing against the 30-30 or 35 REM I just like the 32 Special cartridge more . That cartridge with the RD 323-170GC , RCBS 32-170 GC and the Lyman 321297 are great on deer as far as I can shoot well with peep sights .

Any of the three cast bullets I mentioned cast from wheelweights and pushed with 21-23 grains of XMP5744 is a very good silhouette load as well as a very nice deer load . No recoil and plenty velocity and energy to get the job done .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

I ran into a goodly supply of 165 gr. Leverevolution bullets and a couple hundred factory rounds, so no need to shoot lead for me.
While the wood has a few dents but no scratches, and the metal is probably better than 90%, no edge shine or wear. I'm pretty conservative with grading, but then I own shooting rifles and have no need for non-shooter guns.

I'm thinking all it needs is a good peep sight (top strap is not D&T'd), and I prefer compact receiver sights - any recommendations there?
-A. Einstein
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

mohavesam wrote:I ran into a goodly supply of 165 gr. Leverevolution bullets and a couple hundred factory rounds, so no need to shoot lead for me.
Without sounding to condescending I don't shoot lead because I have to , I shoot lead because I want to .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

mohavesam wrote: I'm thinking all it needs is a good peep sight (top strap is not D&T'd), and I prefer compact receiver sights - any recommendations there?
I have used new Lyman peeps , period Lyman peeps , period Redfield peeps and both the cheap and more expensive Williams peeps . I personally like the period Lyman and Redfield peeps the best .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The boys above said it all....very well. Don't concern yourself with a few bumps......I believe we all have them after 65 years or so.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:The boys above said it all....very well. Don't concern yourself with a few bumps......I believe we all have them after 65 years or so.----6
Gosh yeah!
6pt-sika wrote:
mohavesam wrote:I ran into a goodly supply of 165 gr. Leverevolution bullets and a couple hundred factory rounds, so no need to shoot lead for me.
...I don't shoot lead because I have to , I shoot lead because I want to .
There, fixed that for ya... if ya mention it, it's condescending, degrees don't matter... but on your main point; I agree!

I haven't ever decided if shooting lead is MORE or LESS challenging... but when it's working right... a LOT more satisfying!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Please keep in mind that a waffle-top's value will sink faster than my hopes, if it gets drilled/tapped outside the factory.

I disremember if the 1948 336's had the 2 factory prepped (drilled, tapped & plugged) holes in the upper/rear LH receiver sidewall, but if it's not, then my first statement stands.

mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Not going to drill the top strap. The side mount peep will do just fine.

Strange i offended by saying I don't need to shoot lead? Huh?
I just prefer to shoot what I have (about 450 FTX bullets), and that is all high-quality computer-designed copper jacketed bullets that will easily get me 2300 fps performance, then I have no need to scrounge for .322 lead pills. Too old to start casting lead/alloys.

Good advice so far!
-A. Einstein
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Keep in my that the 32SP is the least desirable caliber....value wise.

1950 336-ADL Lyman 56 30-30

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

mohavesam wrote:Not going to drill the top strap. The side mount peep will do just fine.

I just prefer to shoot what I have (about 450 FTX bullets), and that is all high-quality computer-designed copper jacketed bullets that will easily get me 2300 fps performance, then I have no need to scrounge for .322 lead pills. Too old to start casting lead/alloys.

Good advice so far!
Some people are easily offended...nothing on you.

I just bought a 1949 version of your rifle.(it was factory D&T'd for receiver sight) I shot it a few times and realized I needed a peep on it. Haven't sighted it in since putting the Redfield on it.
The only brass I could find was Hornady, but Hornady FTX loaded ammo was also on sale, so I bought several boxes of it for not much more than the brass. It's full length. A popular misconception is that all the FTX brass is short, but the only caliber I have found that to be true is .45-70. All my .32 Special brass is full length.
I cast and shoot a lot of lead bullets, but it will be a while before I buy moulds for this 336. I bought so much Leverevolution ammo and found 200 rounds of Speer .321 bullets ....it will be a while before I use all of those. A lot of guys shoot competitions and metal targets are common, so lead is a must for safety and to prevent damage to the targets.

Where are the pictures? :D

What jdad says is exactly why I bought one. But, I think I'm gonna like the 32 for what it is, not just because it's cheap.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

mohavesam wrote:Strange i offended by saying I don't need to shoot lead?!
You didn't offend me at all .
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

SO if I pick it up... and have it Cerakoted in say OD green or Gunmetal grey would that offend anyone?
:cry:
-A. Einstein
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

mohavesam wrote:SO if I pick it up... and have it Cerakoted in say OD green or Gunmetal grey would that offend anyone?
Hey if you pay for it , that's your option !
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

mohavesam wrote:SO if I pick it up... and have it Cerakoted in say OD green or Gunmetal grey would that offend anyone?
Your money, your gun, but don't expect to ever get more than $200 if you ever decide to sell it. Nothing personal, but once it becomes "bubba'd" it will stay "bubba'd".
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

jdad wrote:
Your money, your gun, but don't expect to ever get more than $200 if you ever decide to sell it. Nothing personal, but once it becomes "bubba'd" it will stay "bubba'd".

Well said Jdad-------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

what is this concept of "selling" a gun as you say?
-A. Einstein
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I almost bought a 1963 version of a 336 in .35 Rem from my LGS a few months ago. The finish was just rough enough I considered having a 2-tone cerakote job done on it, as I didn't believe it could hurt the value of that particular gun at all....but I just couldn't bring myself to do it....
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 457121 »

jdad wrote:Keep in my that the 32SP is the least desirable caliber....value wise.

1950 336-ADL Lyman 56 30-30

amazing wood. Nothing, but nothing makes me want a gun faster than great wood.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

mohavesam wrote:Not going to drill the top strap. The side mount peep will do just fine.

Good advice so far!
Im with ya on the FTX bullets -- i like em too :D So much so that i have one Winchester 94 and one Guid Gun 45-70 sighted in specifically to use those
That said, i wouldnt use them on anything truly large, as i have heard mixed reviews on the 45/70 on elk size critters- but they are accurate and handy on smaller, thin skinned game
What jdad said on value of a 32 is correct, but i just look at it as a way to get great rifles cheaper than i can a comparable 30/30 -- and ballistics are so close, nothing you shoot will know the difference
----- Doug