Hey guys, Remember the instant freeze of the soda bottles?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Hey guys, Remember the instant freeze of the soda bottles?

Post by jeepnik »

Well, danged, I just did it my self. Went to get some tonic water, uncapped the bottle, part of the contents spewed out, and the rest froze solid. Darned good thing I read about this here, or I'd have been calling Ripley's.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Hey guys, Remember the instant freeze of the soda bottle

Post by williamranks »

Sounds like a trip to the store. I gotta see that.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

So, how does that work?

I thought water would just freeze and break the bottle when it got cold enough. Does the pressure lower the freezing point?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

(P1xV1)/T1=(P2xV2)/T2. By removing the top, pressure drops, lowering temperature and instantly freezing the contents. Other things going on there to with partial pressures of gases and such, but that is the basic physics
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The reason it didn't break the bottle is that there was plenty of CO2 gas in the liquid and as the liquid froze and expanded, the CO2 gave it room so that it didn't expand beyond the limits of the glass.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

rjohns94 wrote:(P1xV1)/T1=(P2xV2)/T2. By removing the top, pressure drops, lowering temperature and instantly freezing the contents. Other things going on there to with partial pressures of gases and such, but that is the basic physics
Thanks for saving me having to explain this one, again. I should have found the thread and put in a link.

Oh, and it was a plastic bottle. It was only partly filled, and as I said, a bit of the contents (a cup or so) spewed out. Just for the heck of it, I waited to see how long it would take to melt. Sitting on the counter, room in the mid 70's, and it took over three hours. If you think about it, that was quite a bit of energy being vented when the bottle was opened. Now, if I can just figure out a use for this bit of physics, I might get rich. :mrgreen:
Last edited by jeepnik on Sat May 11, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Super cooling guys. I've seen it many times (beers and sodas) right out of the fridge (that's how you know your fridge is a bit too cool) and sometimes from an ice chest if there's any salt in the water/on the ice.

Video demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fot3m7kyLn4

Technical explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercooling

And speaking of super cool - science in general is super cool!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

piller wrote:The reason it didn't break the bottle is that there was plenty of CO2 gas in the liquid and as the liquid froze and expanded, the CO2 gave it room so that it didn't expand beyond the limits of the glass.
I remember a particular country store where my Dad would stop. I would always get a "Bubble Up" because it was always like drinking a "Slushie" before Slushies existed. Maybe that is what was happening.
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I have seen it with just plain water. I first saw it with a bottle of Windex window cleaner on the front seat of my car. Car was parked outside in Detroit in the winter time overnight and the temps were in the mid 20's. I saw it on the seat and thought it was strange that it wasn't frozen. I picked the bottle up to look at it and it froze immediately just from the movement. I told a fellow at work about that and he didn't believe me. One night we went out to preflight our aircraft for departure in the winter and one of the pilots had left a bottle of water on the seat. When he moved it to do his check it froze instantly just like my Windex had. I had the same experience a couple times after that. Sometimes if the water is undisturbed it can get super cooled and when you move it the water freezes . It doesn't have anything to do with pressure, just movement.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

retmech wrote:I have seen it with just plain water. I first saw it with a bottle of Windex window cleaner on the front seat of my car. Car was parked outside in Detroit in the winter time overnight and the temps were in the mid 20's. I saw it on the seat and thought it was strange that it wasn't frozen. I picked the bottle up to look at it and it froze immediately just from the movement. I told a fellow at work about that and he didn't believe me. One night we went out to preflight our aircraft for departure in the winter and one of the pilots had left a bottle of water on the seat. When he moved it to do his check it froze instantly just like my Windex had. I had the same experience a couple times after that. Sometimes if the water is undisturbed it can get super cooled and when you move it the water freezes . It doesn't have anything to do with pressure, just movement.
Yep!!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

rjohns94 wrote:(P1xV1)/T1=(P2xV2)/T2. By removing the top, pressure drops, lowering temperature and instantly freezing the contents. Other things going on there to with partial pressures of gases and such, but that is the basic physics
The equation you quoted is the ideal gas law, a combination of Boyle's Law (for pressure) and Charles' Law (for temperature). It applies to gases only, and only approximately for real gases. It does not apply to liquids. However, water, and a soda is mostly water, does freeze (and melt) at a lower temperature when under pressure. When the cap is removed the pressure on the liquid drops and the water then freezes at the temperature it already has. It doesn't get colder. (If it were an expanding gas it would get colder.) This is why you can make a snowball by squeezing snow. When you squeeze the snow it melts; when you stop squeezing it refreezes and sticks together. But snow can be too cold to melt by squeezing, so when it's very cold you can't make a snowball. An interesting point to make is that a liquid freezes and melts at the same temperature. So how does it "know" which to do? That's a lesson for another day.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

If you want to see something really nasty. Freeze Diet Mt. Dew, when its half thawed, shake it up and pour it into a glass, you will get a plastic chewey type of product that comes out. Still aint figured it out, but sure some one here will know why it happened and what it is.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!