Buy low, sell high...what say you?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Buy low, sell high...what say you?

Post by sore shoulder »

Its the American way. Been looking at Armslist all morning, listed couple things for stupid high prices, and can't believe how many Want To Buy ads there are with the caveat "I won't pay these ridiculous prices". Well, you should have thought of that 2 months ago when they weren't ridiculous. :lol:

5.56 ball is going for anywhere from .65 to 1.00 a round. I keep telling the wife I'm rich. :lol:

Two weeks ago I sold some wolf primers for $30 per 1K and thought I was overcharging, I should have waited a week. :o :lol:

Seriously though, I have it, you want it, no one else has it, and I think it's worth it's weight in gold. Why am I obligated to sell it to you for less than what I and the market think it's worth?

If it was gold or silver people would be congratulating me. It's not food or water so there's no ethical issue here. I simply made a wise purchase back when it was less expensive, and now I have the opportunity to take advantage of high market values.

There's a guy selling an SKS for $1200. I hope he gets it. I bought some when they were $88 in shotgun news, wish I had bought more. :cry:

Flame away, I can take it, and Happy Holidays. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Buy low, sell high...what say you?

Post by J Miller »

What's to flame about? If the buyer can't or wont pay the prices then he goes elsewhere or does without.

It's called capitalism.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I have heard used car salesmen say about their overpriced stuff, "there's a butt, for every seat."

The market will cool down and so will prices.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

J Miller wrote:What's to flame about? If the buyer can't or wont pay the prices then he goes elsewhere or does without.

It's called capitalism.

Joe
You got that right Joe :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

J Miller wrote:What's to flame about? If the buyer can't or wont pay the prices then he goes elsewhere or does without.

It's called capitalism.

Joe
or really called 'private enterprise '.........goes back way into cave man days..... long before capitalism. :)
cable
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

sore shoulder wrote:Want To Buy ads there are with the caveat "I won't pay these ridiculous prices". Well, you should have thought of that 2 months ago when they weren't ridiculous. :lol:
A wise man digs a well BEFORE he gets thirsty. - Pastor D. Church
Keep working your plans my friends. Our Grandparents got through their troubles with fewer resources, and probably less education.

A wise man looks down the road to see trouble coming. -Somewhere in Proverbs

I guess my flav "assault rifle" would be a "fullcap" 357 lever, though I've not bough it yet. :oops:
-Brian
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

He will if he wants the product, the next guy will pay it.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I think I bought SKS's for cheaper than that $69.00 I think.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It is the market right now.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

This too shall pass.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Nothing to flame. If I didn't actually want all of my EBRs I'd sell some for stupid money too, but I bought them for a reason...'cause I like 'em!

I hope you make a killing, but I also hope no one sells off anything they may want in the future. The prices may come down, or they may do what they did with M1 Carbines and just go up and stay there. :shock:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The M1 carbine thing is the saddest of all things that has come out of this nonsense, and they really are much more useful than folks realise.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I'm still waiting for the frenzy to hit Cali. Gun Show in Colusa on the 19th & 20th should give an indication. Now what to take ???? decisions.
Buy Low sell Hi has always been My Motto. Aint no point in losing money.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Yes, there is nothing like hindsight. I knew I should have been buying up AR's and ammo like it was going out of style, but I am in pretty good shape anyway. I am even tempted to put a few guns on gunbroker and double my money, but I don't know, it ain't over yet, and it might or might not be harder to get later, even more expensive.

This all may die down, and prices fall back but if we get some new legislation that makes these items harder to get, with new restrictions, the price may go even higher. I say if have it and don't want it, then now is the time to sell, but speculating with a buy back cheaper later plan, I would be careful, because you might be the panic buyer later.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, there I was looking over the top 100 character actors of all time when I came upon this site - now at $329 this may be considered price gouging or sell high but apparently Ralph Lauren doesn't think so.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/inde ... mpaign=CSE

It's all relative I guess.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Mescalero wrote:I think I bought SKS's for cheaper than that $69.00 I think.

I got one at a show in Kentucky for $65, should have bought them all.

Ain't nothin' wrong with making a profit. I've been cruzing the local shops for stuff that hasn't
gone up yet. I found in my stash a dozen hi-cap mags for a Ruger P95/94. Thought I'd cash in on them but found a deal on a new stainless P95 and bought it. Going in the safe until the start going up. Anything high cap/ pistol grip/ flash hider/ auto loader , etc is going to go up.

I've been telling guys for a year that it's the time to buy that AR/AKs. The market was flooded with them and you could get some real deals. Not anymore!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Mescalero wrote:I think I bought SKS's for cheaper than that $69.00 I think.
Mine was $69 around '92, with two 440 rd cans of the infamous Chinese "non-corrosive" ball ammo. :D

Still have it, with one remaining can of ammo. It's my backup for the leverguns.

Jack
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Old Savage wrote:Well, there I was looking over the top 100 character actors of all time when I came upon this site - now at $329 this may be considered price gouging or sell high but apparently Ralph Lauren doesn't think so.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/inde ... mpaign=CSE

It's all relative I guess.
UFF DUH!
That's bad for my blood pressure. But it sure gets the heart started! :o - Brian
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

A lot of the griping comes from guys who wished they could have bought low, if they'd only known what was going high and what wasn't :mrgreen:

If cetme's ever get up to $1200 or better I'll sell mine. Just the free market at work, when the demand driven price gets high enough, people will let go of their stuff. If demand drops they get to keep their stuff. Nothing much to it.

I traded my $69 SKS years ago for $120 worth of 9mm ammo. I still say I got a heck of a deal out of that rifle, I shot the heck out of it for a couple years and then traded it away for more than I paid. I could have held on to it for 20 years and gotten more, but I have no regrets there.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

92&94 wrote: If cetme's ever get up to $1200 or better I'll sell mine.
I saw one for that price yesterday somewhere, probably Armslist in Colorado as thats where I've been.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I'm open to trades.
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I have to confess, I had a moment of delirium and considered putting my pre Rem 1895 GS up for sale at some ridiculous price just for fun, but then I thought someone might actually buy it and that cured me. Plus Grizz would probably never forgive me.
11B30
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

sore shoulder wrote:I have to confess, I had a moment of delirium and considered putting my pre Rem 1895 GS up for sale at some ridiculous price just for fun, but then I thought someone might actually buy it and that cured me. Plus Grizz would probably never forgive me.
I ended up with a nib 1895 in 45-70, pre-Remmy, that I have no need of. I'll probably keep it for 10 years then sell it at what I hope to be a great profit. Nib, unfired, all original box included. - Brian
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Nothing go`s up forever. People bought houses and thought they would keep going up. Look what happened. Years ago there were land runs up out of sight and people lost their butts. Lets hope that the gun legislation fizzels in the supream court. You would be wishing you had sold everything you had today. Cabbage patch dolls, beanie babys, tulips, florida swamp etc.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Im feeling pretty rich with the way the market is right now but sure hope they dont make the future transfer of these items illegal and potentially worthless outside of the black market.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Got new Beanie Babies if anyone is interested :)

BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Old Savage wrote:Got new Beanie Babies if anyone is interested :)
Is that the new code word?
-Brian
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Booger Bill wrote:Nothing go`s up forever. People bought houses and thought they would keep going up. Look what happened. Years ago there were land runs up out of sight and people lost their butts. Lets hope that the gun legislation fizzels in the supream court. You would be wishing you had sold everything you had today. Cabbage patch dolls, beanie babys, tulips, florida swamp etc.
if we hold the republicans feet to the fire, in the house of representatives, there will be NO gun legislation passed. maybe we need to remind all of them about the results in 1994!!
cable
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

sore shoulder wrote:
92&94 wrote: If cetme's ever get up to $1200 or better I'll sell mine.
I saw one for that price yesterday somewhere, probably Armslist in Colorado as thats where I've been.
I've seen them listed that high before, doesn't mean anyone buys them. Current bidding on gunbroker is looking like $700-$800 range, way more than I paid but not enough to tempt me to sell it. It hasn't gotten totally crazy yet, but we're getting there.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Marvin S wrote:Im feeling pretty rich with the way the market is right now but sure hope they dont make the future transfer of these items illegal and potentially worthless outside of the black market.
And THAT is the big question!
"One of the problems with the 1994 ban was the grandfathering loophole. If someone owned an assault rifle before tha ban, they were allowed to keep it. We won't make that mistake again." - Diane Feinstein

As of now, we just don't know.

Asto "gouging", think about your 10th grade Economics class - supply vs demand. It isn't "gouging" if the market bears.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It does happen and the prices are being paid. Most Americans are too stupid or lazy to think ahead. They think nothing of spending 3g's on a vacation but balk at buying the necessities of life ahead of time.

I saw it myself last week. My bud knew way in advance that bad things were going to happen this year and stocked up on many AR's and a room full of ammo. It was not too hard figuring out the election outcome, realizing the mentality of our populace. Colt AR 6920's started selling at 12 and the next day were up to 2 g's...........with people waiting in line to buy 'em.

You snooze---you lose----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Six has it right,and he is also right about the election.
I took care of buisiness, for those who did not,
now you pay the price.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I picked this up a few months back for less than $600. Russian VEPR in .308. Wanted one for some time so I'm glad I beat the mob!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Oly, neat pic. :D While taking that pic, with the gun precariously propped up, I bet you were saying to yourself, "Please, no wind" :D

I'm curious, how does that rifle shoot?-------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Sixgun wrote:Hey Oly, neat pic. :D While taking that pic, with the gun precariously propped up, I bet you were saying to yourself, "Please, no wind" :D

I'm curious, how does that rifle shoot?-------------Sixgun
Sadly I've not had the chance to shoot it for groups yet. We moved in December and then I attacked myself so it's been a couple months gone into the black hole of lost time with regards to shooting. :(

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 457121 »

I have zero sympathy for the whiners of high prices. if you buy your ammo one box at a time or your primers 100 at a time you are at the mercy of the market. Last fall/winter i remember Cabela's had CCI small rifle primers on sale for $20 a brick. This was after all that primer hoarding and $60 a 1000 had died away. People never learn.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

457121 wrote:I have zero sympathy for the whiners of high prices. if you buy your ammo one box at a time or your primers 100 at a time you are at the mercy of the market. Last fall/winter i remember Cabela's had CCI small rifle primers on sale for $20 a brick. This was after all that primer hoarding and $60 a 1000 had died away. People never learn.
This past summer I advocated to friends that buying one box at a time, and accumulating over time was a good way to build up a stock of supplies.
Many would complain about not having the money to buy cases of ammo. So I told them on payday, buy one box of ammo and lable it #1. The next payday, buy another box and lable it #2. Do this until you buybox #11. You now have 550 rounds of ammo.
Go out and shoot box #1. You still have 500 rounds. Repeat this every payday. Pay cash so your card does not show "large" ammo purchases, that might attract the attention of big sis.
Remember, you can get throught a riot with just a box of ammo, because you are'nt going to the range anymore for training.
-Brian