Finally -- a range report (.32 Special and TC 45/70)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Finally -- a range report (.32 Special and TC 45/70)

Post by Streetstar »

After a winter filled with too much work (and probably a few too many new firearms, but oh well) --- I finally made it to the range for a chilly, blustery shooting session.

but I was curious what my new Encore 45/70 pistol would do.
I used Trapdoor spec reloads with 405 grain bullets. I expected the worst, but really, its a B-I-G pistol, plus the somewhat mild (for a rifle its mild) loads meant i only got stung on the first shot, then i learned to keep the fingers of my support hand away from T/C's little underlever protrusion.
Only problem was the rear sight, i got cute and replaced the rear sight with a peep from a T/C Katadhin muzzleloader, and found out i hate that rear sight, although it looks good. It just doesn't have enough elevation adjustment to get it low enough
Groups are only at 25 yards, as this was a "getting aquainted" day --was aiming at the lower target -- first 5 shots that are 10 inches high look more like a pattern from Paul Bunyan's shotgun as i figured out the right way to hold this weird beast --- then i paused to lower the rear sight as much as i could and the last 2 shots went into one hole, 2.5" high and slightly to the left.
I'll try it again when i get some more low speed ammo loaded up and the stock pistol sight re-installed , but in summary, i was really pleased with how it shot so far as i was worried beforehand about the recoil

Now on to the Winchester -- 1942 vintage .32 Special loaded with off the shelf 170 grain soft points (Win Super X i think) -- i didn't have any brass so figured i'd buy a couple of boxes to shoot and give a jumpstart on the brass supply

I took the pic with the rifle on the rest, but i shot this one offhand, I figured the most likely hunting shots i take with this would be offhand, so i wanted to see how it shot --- i will try it from the bench some other time.
I was pretty happy to see that the former owner seemingly already sighted it in for me :lol: I fired 6 and called it a day--- it will get a lot more range time before i go hunting with it for sure, and i was starting to run out of daylight. I'd like to say the shot that went way into the 8 ring was my first "getting aquainted" shot, but i have no idea --- hence the need for more range time before using it for a sporting purpose. Aside from the flyer, my goal is to shoot this way at 50 yards offhand with open sights if i can manage it.

the rest of the rather short afternoon/early evening was spent knocking golfballs and shotgun hulls around the range with the Henry .22. No photos taken of this action though :lol: Seen one bullet riddled soup can or golf ball and ya seen em all
----- Doug
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Finally -- a range report (.32 Special and TC 45/70)

Post by Old Savage »

Nice rifle - nice group. Doesn't surprise me that this rifle can shoot that well with that ammo.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks like it would be meat in the freezer to me. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
30hrrtt
Levergunner

Post by 30hrrtt »

I handload Hornady 170 and three different cast bullets, many different powders, cast diameters, etc.... I played with my early 40's quite a bit and the best grouping I ever got was a box of factory Remington 170 cl. GO FIGURE.