Aftermarket sight for Browning/Winchester 1895

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Aftermarket sight for Browning/Winchester 1895

Post by Killer Kanuck »

I just made a deal that will have a Browning made model 1895 arriving on my doorstep in a week or so - 30/06 caliber. It's one of the ones made in 1984, so it doesn't have a tang safety. So I'm just wondering, what are my options for a peep or tang sight? And just to start a fight, :lol: what are the pros and cons of each?

TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Aftermarket sight for Browning/Winchester 1895

Post by TX Gun Runner »

There is a peep sight that Lyman made for it which is special sight because tang don't work well on that gun . I've seen the repro around . If I find one I will post it .

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =122751361
Image..Image
Image......Image
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Find the climbing Lyman!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I just bought a Lyman 21 reproduction for my Browning 1895, but haven't installed it yet. Here's a link;

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,7197.html
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

You can get a climbing lyman repro sight form a Wisconsin company . http://www.peabodyrifles.com

I had my Browning tapped for the Williams foolproof. I tried a Lyman 66WB but it wasn't wide enough. Now I liked the factory semibuckhorn sight that came with it. So give it a try. The later Win 1895's with the tang safty were tapped for a Williams foolproof. The tang sights didn't work so good because the bolt is so long that it pushes the tang sight down when the action is cycled. There was some tang sights made with really weird bases that put the tang sight back farther.

If you reload , be aware that the Browning in 30-06 have short throats. Mine is the most acurate levergun I own.
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

My browning 1895, 30-06 has a Williams FP on it.I like it. I would also like the lyman repro. I believe mine is my most accurate lever.I believe Hobie has a picture of the lyman on 1 of these Good luck with yours
Karl
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I mounted an XS peep atop the rear of the bolt, and at the same time changed the front sight to their (XS's) higher front sight.

The peep was one meant for a Marlin 1894, because I had it on hand - but XS makes a set for your Winchester, IIRC.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I do have some info in my account of my Browning 1895.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Here is my 95 with the Lyman 66 WB. I like it. Photo is not that hot .

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

The Williams Fool Proof makes a nice looking and accurate receiver sight on an 1895. :)

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsigh ... efault.htm
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I have a couple of those early tang sights that were mentioned on my 95's. The base curves to the rear and up at the end of the comb. Actually the curving base just touches the edge of the wood. This allows the bolt to open completely without striking the sight. The downside is that the eyepiece is now very close to your nose/eye and it will bite you if you are not carefull to hold back and not creep up on the stock. They are VERY expensive. I would suggest the Lyman 21 replica. I kind of like the peep mounted on the bolt in the picture above. Once you zero the sights you rarely move them anyway, and it looks like a nice clean installation.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I mounted this Williams FP71 on my Browning produced Winchester 95 made under license by Miroku in 1995 aand added an XS white stripe front sight -

The rear sight required precision drilling and tapping done by my long time gunsmith but I mounted the front sight. I've found this combo to be very good. Here's the result of 100 yard zeroing shooting just from a "fist rest" on a table. The final two holes are visible 2" above the POA -

Works for me -

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The Lyman #21, or #38 Windguage receiver sights were available as options for the Model 1895 Winchester rifle, but originals, especially of the 38, are difficult to come by and are very expensive. There are a couple of companies that manufacture reproductions of the 21, but I have no experience with them and cannot offer a recommendation.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

I like the Lyman 21 because you can change from 100 to 600 yds in the flick of a lever and back again in a second . I don't any other sight that fast .
Image..Image
Image......Image