OT - is there a doctor on the forum?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AmBraCol
Webservant

OT - is there a doctor on the forum?

Post by AmBraCol »

Over the years I've spent in S. America I've been bitten and stung by all kinds of critters. Mosquito bites have no effect on me anymore unless they leave a bug of some sort like the dengue fever I picked up a few years ago. Otherwise, no welts or marks to indicate the lil' blood suckers have been there. This has been so since I spent a night hunting over a waterhole in dry season - and my face and hands were so covered with "asa dura" bites that I looked sunburned. Ever since, nothing seems to affect me.

And then yesterday I was at the butcher shop and I felt something which I automatically brushed off. Then it started to hurt a bit and I looked down and saw the remains of a stinger from a honey bee, probably the africanized version. I didn't think much about it. Then this morning while showering I noticed the spot on my arm - below's a picture of it. There's a red rash around the sting area and the sting site itself is slightly raised and red. I've never had such a reaction to a sting before. Is this something I need to worry about (ie - take precautions due to some late blooming allergy):?::?::?::?:

Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Well, I'm not a doctor, and I've never played one on the internet, but nobody has answered yet so I figured the least I could do is bump this back up to the top. Have you tried taking an antihistamine like Benadryl. This can help with a wide range of allergic reactions. I've been stung by a certain type of wasp that made my entire arm swell up and took 3-4 days to recover from. Other stings I've had didn't have nearly as severe of a reaction. Good luck!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Thanks, nemhed.

It doesn't bother me so haven't taken anything, I just found the rash strange - especially since I've been stung plenty by bees with no similar reaction before. I guess I'm no longer "bullet proof"... :D
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Not a doctor, but if it was me and I wasn't having trouble breathing, I wouldn't worry.

Every get a bot fly larva in you? I've seen some removal vids on YouTube and it makes me glad I live in the land of ice and snow.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

Just keep an eye on it - if it gets worse than this - see the doctor. I'd also make an effort to avoid getting stung by bees and similar insects (wasps, hornets) in the future.

Benadryl, Chlor-Tripolon and other antihistamines will help as will anti-inflammatories such as Aspirin - make sure you're not allergic to these before taking them. Also keep the area clean so it doesn't become infected.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Paul,
Benadryl would be a good first choice. It's over the counter here now.
I imagine your laws there would make it the same. A lot of people here who have bad allergies to certain things carry an "EpiPen" which is a single dose version of epinephrin. That would be in case of respiratory problems. Some people even carry them in their first aid kits if they can get a Doc to write a srcip for it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have had several Wasp and Bee stings that have left the same mark/rash.
I always take Antihistamine tablets, as you can get more allergic as time goes by.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Paul, just as a funny side note: I once swallowed a yellow jacket that was in a can of Coke. He proceeded to get his final revenge by stinging me repeatedly on the way down. This immediately started to feel like the world's worst case of heart burn. Then after about 15 minutes, I started to break out in hives in all the "warm" areas (ie: crotch, arm pits). After about an hour, I was covered in hives and calling my doctor's office. The nurses there wanted me to go to the emergency room because they were worried about airway constriction. I was stuck at home by myself with my two oldest kids who were barely toddlers, and no one within 50 miles who could watch them for me. Long story short, the Doc called in a prescription, I drove to the pharmacy with my kids, walked in with them looking like some kind of pink, roasted, bipedal marshmallow, got my prescription, drove back home and took some kind of oatmeal bath. The swelling was gone in about 5-6 hours, but I itched for a day or so. Ultimately I got my final revenge by digesting the offending insect.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

nemhed wrote:Paul, just as a funny side note: I once swallowed a yellow jacket that was in a can of Coke. He proceeded to get his final revenge by stinging me repeatedly on the way down.
:shock: Ah that sorry ***....that sucks!

Funny looking back, but not at the time.

I was going to work one morning down this country road on my bike wearing a full face helmet. I had the visor up and was wearing sunglasses like I did every morning, when all of a sudden, whack...something hit my sunglasses right were the lens touches my nose. Left powdery residue and some guts on the lens of my glasses, but I'm thinking no big deal, I get hit by bugs all the time. So I'm continuing to work and about 2 miles later down the road, while I'm going 60 MPH, WHAM......something just stung the $%*# out of my chin. Now I don't know how many of you ride motorcycles, but tooling down the road in a full face helmet is not time time to get stung. There is no way to get into the lower portion of the helmet without taking it off. Somehow, I managed to get pulled over on the side of the road without wrecking and as quickly as I could, yanked my helmet off, while doing my own un-happy dance. Those of you who have worn helmets know they are not designed to be expediently removed. When I finally got the helmet off, I grabbed the comb in my back pocket and ran it thru my beard and presto. Gigantic PO'd bumblebee. That sucker stung me right in the middle of my chin. Apparently, he hit my glasses and was deflected down into the lower portion of my helmet, determined to get revenge on whatever had just made him lose his pollen. It took him a few minutes to climb thru my beard to reach something that he could sting, but when he finally found skin he buried it deep. He immediately got to see the bottom side of my boot. And gents, I'll tell you I was scared. My chin started to swell up and I could feel my jaw tightening up in the joints. I got back on my bike (ST1300) and wrapped it up as tight as I could do on a country road, hoping that something bad wouldn't happen before I got to work where there were people that could drive me to hospital. Luckily, nothing much happened after the initial swelling, but that sucker must have loaded me up with venom because I've never had a problem with bee stings.

Haven't had another incident since.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Riding my BSA one day when a Wasp flew into my mouth, he must have let loose his venom on my teeth because I didn't get stung but I had the most foul taste in my mouth after I spat him out on my tank!

They say you can always tell a happy biker by the flies in his teeth! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Deerwhacker444, not to steal Paul's thread but I do ride a motorcycle and I always wear a full face helmet for just such events. I've been hit by all kinds of things and I like to keep the bare, exposed skin to the absolute bare minimum. It's not any fun waiting to see how far the effects of a sting will go. I've since been stung by bees and some types of wasps without much to complain about. I also know from experience that it's not any fun watching someone else go into anaphylactic shock! If I went to visit Paul I'd probably die within a week from something biting/stinging me.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Regarding resistance to bee venom, Africanized bees' venom is no more potent than other stinging bees. These bees are merely more suicidal.

Everyone becomes sensitive to bee venom were they stung enough. I do not mean being stung hundreds of times in a few minutes, rather the sensitivity as a cumulative thing.

Hope this helps.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Aaaahhh.... Bikes and bees and other airborne stuff.... that brings back memories. Like back in college when I invited a sweet young thing I liked out for a nice springtime ride on my CB 500 Four. We were tooling along on a nice, isolated back road when all of a sudden I swerved to the side, stopped and started yanking my shirt off... I'm not sure what crossed her mind, being all alone with this wild man who's suddenly started stripping - and right then I didn't care. The hornets were out to enjoy the springtime as well and I took one right down my shirt. NOT fun at all, but pretty funny now that the effect has worn down :D And then there was the time I was flying along a main avenue in Belém, Brazil about 8 in the evening, probably doing about 60-70 mph on my dad's CB 400 when I took some kind of flying beetle right in the middle of the chest. It almost took me right off the bike, kind of like taking a softball hit right there.

You're right, africanized bees have about the same pay load as the european variety. But they tend to hit you tons of times rather than just once or twice if you get near their hive. I've had my share of them over the years, but never more than a few at a time. I know a couple of guys who survived being swarmed by them - and came near it myself once. They are nasty things - even if you've got a bee suit on. The guys who work them for a living have my admiration. I went out with one one time. We were fully suited up and had multiple layers of clothing to help insulate from stingers, but the combined hum of millions of angry bees was more than I could stand. It really gave me the heebiejeebies.

Yesterday's incident was not a common occurrence. We don't have many bees around here at all. In fact, Coffee Country is one of the most pleasant places to live. Average temp is around 70* and few bugs usually. What surprised me was the rash. I've never had such a reaction before to a "simple" bee sting.
Paul - in Pereira

Greg807
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Greg807 »

Could be cellulitis, If it gets bigger or develops red streaks see a Doc for some antibiotics.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Chavez has, no doubt, released poison bees......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

BlaineG wrote:Chavez has, no doubt, released poison bees......
I wouldn't doubt it. He will, however, claim it was done by Alvaro Uribe in a bid to start a war...
Paul - in Pereira

AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

Isn't cable a doctor?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Any insect sting basically you do the same:

Short of breath or rapid face/neck swelling - 911 or ER and if you have an epi-pen or Benadryl (50-100mg) use them both.

A few hours later it is really red. Benadryl and wait 24 hours.

Redder next 24-48 hrs - Consider doctor evaluation to see if you need steroids or antibiotics. Doctors argue among themselves whether these wounds ever "really" get infected, but in my humble opinion, we don't really know. Personally, I tend to use a high dose of antibiotic EARLY but not for many days, thinking that in a patient with a decent immune system, the germs don't all need killed (the immune system will do that) but they need slowed down so your immune system can "get to the gun safe and load up."

Nothing topical impresses me much, though some folks swear by baking soda, steroid or Benadryl cream, but no good studies I've seen show benefit, and I usually don't bother with topicals.

Remove any stinger or whatever (tip out any stinger with a bladder of venom attacked).

Africanized bees are just meaner and more likely to CHASE you farther from their hive, so are more dangerous. Too many stings can kill even a non-allergic.

Typically the TYPE (breathing, rash, fast, slow) of reaction is the same in the future, so with no shortness of breath, you shouldn't have to worry about a breathing problem with a future sting.

BUT.... There are always exceptions, and no rule says you can't have a different reaction next time to the same bee, or a different species.

If a generalized rash, fever, or breakdown of the skin at the site occurs, you need medical attention - some systemic illnesses can begin with bites, and be dangerous.

Hope that Helps.

Disclaimer :roll: - "Always check with your own personal physician and pharmacist, as your particular medical situation may render general advice not applicable, or even dangerous, in your particular situation."
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
texshooter
Levergunner

Post by texshooter »

That likely is cellulitis. Get your tail to a Doctor, NOW. If the area is enlarging, you need to be on antibiotics as soon as possible, if you wish to not end up in a hospital. Even a mosquito bite can allow staff or strep to get into the broken skin. AJ
Ron Macy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ron Macy »

Could be serious. My daughter took one look at the photo and said it looked exactly like a spider bite she had a couple of years ago.

Went to Redi Med. Put on anti-biotics as a red streak had started up her arm. The Dr. made an ink pen mark accross her arm and told her if either of the streaks crossed the mark to go immediatelly to the emergency room.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Paul -

Good luck with this. Sounds like it smarts! :shock:
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

I guess I'm the only one here who has a terrible reaction to bee stings. Death, if I'm too far from a Doc :shock: Honey bee's are the worst and I have very little time to get to my bee sting kit. As long as it is a single sting other bees don't bother me as bad, though it WILL be an emergency room visit.

Bee venom adds up. A neighbor when I was growing up keeled over dead after a single sting from a bee from one of his honey bee hives he kept and had been a bee keeper for over 50 years with 1000's of stings over that time.

I can tell you from experience if you didn't suddenly swell up inside, you would know it pretty quickly from a general lack of ability to catch your breath, or your throat started to swell closed, you are most likely OK. When stung by a honey bee I will be in severe distress within about 120 to 180 seconds. In 10 minutes I will be comatose and things just generally go downhill from there :lol: :lol:

If you were bitten by something else, such as a spider, then you better get to a doc. And quickly.

Jeff
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Paul - I'm no medico, but it sure looks like you've been bitten hard by the levergun bug ! :wink:

Take some Benadryl, along with two new leverguns - a sure cure !
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

How does it look today.? Any worse.? Inquiring minds want to know..!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

deerwhacker444 wrote:.
How does it look today.? Any worse.? Inquiring minds want to know..!
Thanks for asking. It looks much better today. The rash is gone, the sting site is still visible and it itches like crazy. I must be getting old. These things didn't use to bother me... :(
Paul - in Pereira

Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Paul, I'm allergic to bee stings. Not massively, antihistamines are usually enough for a single honey bee sting. Unless it's a big bumbler in the neck(love them motorcycles), then, it's shot time. I was never bothered by them earlier in life either. I don't swell up on being stung at all now though I used to before my first reaction. If you don't swell up immediately on being stung, it's time to watch your reactions for tightness of the chest and difficulty breathing. Your rash makes it sound like you could be on your way to a reaction next time. That's how it was for me. It all depends on dosage of venom and where you are stung but your next sting is likely to be a bit more serious. Your best bet is to carry antihistamines with you always, now, and give them to yourself after a sting. Crush them to get them in your system sooner. The shots are a beyoch to keep current at the right temperature as they can be ruined by high heat(body heat is enough to trash them in short order) or freezing and are quite expensive. I keep one at home. Not to mention if you have to give yourself that shot, expect to be almost incapacitated for a week. Also if you hit any kind of major blood vessel with that shot, you can expect to die in a couple minutes. I hit the antihistamines, then get to a hospital/doctor/home (wherever the shot is closest) ASAP. I've only had to give myself a shot once as usually the antihistamines are enough, but there have been a couple times at the hospital too. Take Care
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith