Winchester vs. Marlin which side to choose

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Winchester vs. Marlin which side to choose

Post by Bigahh »

Heres a topic that may get the Hatchet's flying. Until today I sat on the Winchester side of the river. Went to the local Mall with the wife today to shop for Mother's day, and the Mall happens to have a Scheel's. Well like most or all of you I simply cannot go there without looking at guns. In fact my wife stated she wanted to get the gun browsing out of the way before we hit the main mall. I was browsing the quite large used rack, and they had a Stainless Marlin 336 xlr in 30-30. It looked to be bran new for 479.00 so I picked it up, and pointed it at a light on the ceiling 40 yards away. Well after walking around for 30 seconds to maybe a minute I picked it up a second time then a 3rd and after a couple minutes a 4th time. God that rifle felt, and pointed perfect! My wife broke out in laughter and said to the sales gal that I was going to buy it. I thought to myself, Do I need it? My answer after 5 seconds was God Yes! I do need a foul weather rifle that can hold a scope, so I put it on Layaway. I now am right in the Middle of that Winchester vs. Marlin River, but only knee deep as I need more of each.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

You'll get no help from me! I can recommend either -- or both! If you want easy scope mounting, and a gun that is simplicity itself to take down for cleaning or repair, pick Marlin. If you want the slimmest, trimmest, easiest totin' rifle around, go Winchester. If you want the most accurate -- well, flip a coin. Either one will outshoot 99.9% of shooters alive today!
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Bigahh, you ought to know that no one on here is going to argue with you!!!!. You better get the Marlin ASAP. Then later, if you think there could have been a mistake, you have reason to get a Winchester, it's just that simple. That's what lay-aways are for. And check out that good woman of yours, she helped you do the right thing by standing by her man through this decision!!! She gave you support, she knows your needs!!.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Leverguns I own are Winchester, Marlin, Mossberg, and Taurus, no brand loyalty I just buy what I like, they all have their good points and I ignore their bad, just like I do with most people I meet. :wink:
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

It depends on what side of 141 your going to hunt on. Since you probably can hunt both, you have to have both. The Marlin w/scope for the field edges and the short Winchester for the wood lots.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Old Time Hunter,

I now hunt strictly the Far West side of 141. My nephew and I bought 200 acres in Price county, a 2 hour drive from the cabin.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They are both great and it is not an either or.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

We have a Scheels connected to the Mall in Eau Claire . My wife tells me that there is other entrances to the mall besides going through Scheels. I think she's pulling my leg. :wink:

I have both Marlin and Winchester. I don't discriminate. I like them both. If you want to scope it , Marlin is the way to go.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I like 'em both. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Bigahh , Like Hobie, I like both. I own more Marlins than Winchesters but that is because when I started collecting levers Marlins were cheeper when in the same condition. It is still that way but the Winchesters are getting a little harder to find in fine condition around here.
Enjoy your new Marlin! :wink:
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Hobie wrote:I like 'em both. :lol:
+1 I agree.The Marlin is for scope'n and the Winnie is for tott'n(open sights). :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I like them both. However, lately I have been taking the Marlins out of the same more often. In fact, I'm looking to trade a Win. 375 for a Marlin 375 if anyone is inclined.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have had a decided preference on Marlin manufacture until 2 years ago when the 1895's and 1886's have been reintroduced in limited runs. Thus have bought 4 winchesters to 1 marlin.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I've got both Winchester and Marlin. All of them are good rifles.
ED
Yer never too old
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I was all set to post about how the folks who like one of these brands are a bunch of "lowlife, scum, losers," but two things stopped me...

1. All this stuff about how now we gotta be "nice" to each other and not name call or anything. Geez :roll:

2. AND the fact that they are both great guns. I agree with the "Totin'" vs. "Scopin'" comments.

Seriously, it would be interesting if Winchester had been able to design a more easily 'scopeable' version earlier on, to see if it wiped out the Marlin's support, or if Marlin had made a "Marlin-jam-less" version with their original slimmer forend if they would have eclipsed the Winnies.

I like scopes and I like the easy cleaning from breech for the Marlins, so that gives me a slight bias towards the Marlins, but My little Puma clones are really nice for 'Totin...' 8)

Bottom line is - get one of each if you can afford to!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Bigahh, thought you are from Oconto way? Price county is way the heck by Phillips isn't it?
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Currently all I have are Marlins but I intend to get me a Winchester. No need to discriminate!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, I've got both and like em both equally well. In fact, its hard to find a gun of any type that I don't like but they're out there - like the Hi Point's for example - yuck. But it's not the price per se as I really like my NEF Handi Rifle in 45-70...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I prefer WINCHESTER over the Marlins for standard rifle caliber carbines. They are much slimmer, trimmer, lighter, and quicker to handle. Like they should be.
The Marlin carbines are clunky and awkward, and have about 2 pounds too much wood on them. I've NEVER liked the FAT, PREGNANT, OBESE, BULBOUS, SWOLLEN, BLOATED forearms, and the stock shape on the pistol grip versions is so badly designed that it bruises my cheek every time I fire one.
Now, if Marlin were to build the 336s like they used to, or like they build the Cowboy versions, then I'd give one a try.

As much as like my 94AE Trapper, I prefer the Marlin 1894 series in pistol calibers. Except: I've NEVER liked the FAT, PREGNANT, OBESE, BULBOUS, SWOLLEN, BLOATED forearms. But at least most of them are straight stock so that makes them comfortable to shoot.

Notice now, I said nothing about quality of manufacture or lack thereof for either of these two. All I stated was MY personal preferences.

That's the way it is ............

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Tuco Tom
Levergunner

Post by Tuco Tom »

I really like old Winchesters. The Model 92 in 25-20 I have shoots like a laser gun out to 100 yards in the local silhouettes matches. The old rifle was made in 1917 and when I handle her I feel like a homesteader in Owyhee County protecting the chickens from coyotes.
But this is 2008 and today Marlin makes the best Levergun in the business and in the greatest variety of calibers and configurations. They shoot real good and are made in the USA.
The trouble with picking up an old Winchester is finding one with enough rifling that it still shoots accurately.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I own at least one each in 22lr / 44mag / 45lc / 30-30.

The only pistol caliber I don't have a Marlin in is the 357mag, due to two of them not feeding properly.

My Winchester outnumber the Marlins 2:1 but, as far as fit-function-accuracy with what I have, all are on par with each other. I carry both makes for field use and have nary a worry.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Bigahh, thought you are from Oconto way? Price county is way the heck by Phillips isn't it?
OTH, No, im not in oconto county, my cabin is not far from you at all, its on Cauldron Falls where C meets Parkway. Our new land is 20 miles west of Phillips. Looks to be a Big Buck Haven, and so far full of Grouse too. We will only use it for deer Hunting, and still go to the cabin all other times.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I have owned one Marlin, a 336. It was ok. I like Winchester all the way though. In the future I will probably buy me a Guide gun in Stainless. I have thought alot about ScottT's posting on this rifle and agree.
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

Both of course there American ClassicsImage
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WyrTwister »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Well, I've got both and like em both equally well. In fact, its hard to find a gun of any type that I don't like but they're out there - like the Hi Point's for example - yuck. But it's not the price per se as I really like my NEF Handi Rifle in 45-70...
I have shied away foro the NEF .45-70 , light weight -> recoil .

God bless
Wyr
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Bigahh, if you take C into Athelstane, then V north towards Amberg, hanging a right on Amberg/Wausaukee Town Line Road back over 141 'bout a mile or so, you'll run into my place. Got a few parcels (between myself, my Pa and buddies I believe that it is a bit over a section) that run from Town Line all the way down to Feller Rd. Besides the regular fare of Whitetail, we seem to have quite a few Bear, and tons of Turkeys.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I have always been a winchester fan through and through. However, yesterday, I went to Roswell, NM to buy some powder and bullets and saw what I believe is the most handsome levergun I have ever seen and it was a Marlin 39. WOW.. The guy wouldn't price it as he was just working for the guy who owned it but I don't believe that I have ever seen one that nice before. Beutiful, old walnut with the finest color-cased hardening of any I own. Wish I had a camera.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I like the Marlins for hunting and carrying and the Winchesters for target shooting. Of course, if you can hit targets you can also hit game.

The Marlins seem more functional, the mechanics are smoother, they come with sling studs already installed. They seem tougher. My Winchesters have longer barrels (when I bought them the Marlin XLRs weren't offered) and I feel more comfortable shooting for accuracy with them.

I suppose if I hunted from a stand or other fixed position where I was going for a long shot or covering a big area, I would be tempted to take the Winchester in 30-30, but if I'm hiking a long way and hunting through brush (quick, short shots), I would be tempted to take the Marlin.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nothing wrong with a little diversity - makes life interesting!!! :D
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

Marlin.
On account of easy take-down.
I mean, it's really a snap. And when they both will shoot equally well, and you like the styling, that's the tie-breaker for me. I also like side eject a lot better.

Gryphon
bang.
bones507
Levergunner

Post by bones507 »

or if Marlin had made a "Marlin-jam-less" version with their original slimmer forend if they would have eclipsed the Winnies. <--AJMD429

I have read about this a little on the Marlin board. Is there anything you can do to fix this before it occurs ? Does anyone do the work on the lever here ? Mine is more or less brand new with about 200 rounds thru it, how long does it take before this condition starts ? If its a condition that can be prevented beforehand i would be willing to pay to have the wok done.
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

bones507
Don't fret about your rifle, chances are you will never have the problem.
Karl
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I never really argue against a Marlin Round Bolt. I actually like them better for long-throw cartridges than the Win 94.

My Marlin issues are with the Square Bolts and that's just Readhead vs Blonde. :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

bones507 wrote:or if Marlin had made a "Marlin-jam-less" version with their original slimmer forend if they would have eclipsed the Winnies. <--AJMD429

I have read about this a little on the Marlin board. Is there anything you can do to fix this before it occurs ? Does anyone do the work on the lever here ? Mine is more or less brand new with about 200 rounds thru it, how long does it take before this condition starts ? If its a condition that can be prevented beforehand i would be willing to pay to have the wok done.
My only real 'jam' was when I cycled a 1894 44 Mag very slowly, pointed up in the air, and it jammed. That's out of maybe ten thousand rounds through six or eight Marlins. I found out later the ejector had probably bent before the problem happened, and was the actual cause I believe.

Some post here, or on the Marlin forum, goes into what to look for, how to prevent it (easy do-it-yourself stuff) and one guy even fit in place a hardened metal piece to prevent it.

I'd be interested to know how often the specific 'Marlin Jam' happens, and if it is a problem, why one couldn't just heat-treat the carrier to prevent it; it isn't like that's a gun barrel or receiver or cylinder - if you heat treated it wrong (to harden it) it would surely just either be too soft (and you could replace it with a factory one yourself for a few bucks) or too hard and crack (and you could STILL just replace it for a few bucks with a factory one) but it isn't like it would explode.

Any of you 'metalsmith' types thought about trying it... :?:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pisgah wrote:You'll get no help from me! I can recommend either -- or both! If you want easy scope mounting, and a gun that is simplicity itself to take down for cleaning or repair, pick Marlin. If you want the slimmest, trimmest, easiest totin' rifle around, go Winchester. If you want the most accurate -- well, flip a coin. Either one will outshoot 99.9% of shooters alive today!
My sentiments, exactly.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:...Some post here, or on the Marlin forum, goes into what to look for, how to prevent it (easy do-it-yourself stuff) and one guy even fit in place a hardened metal piece to prevent it.
That would be me. I fixed a friend's 1894 .44 by modifying the instructions from the link on the Leverguns homepage... Works good. Too bad it was necessary. A properly hardened Carrier would make the fix moot...
I'd be interested to know how often the specific 'Marlin Jam' happens, and if it is a problem,
Can't say how often it happens, but it IS a problem... otherwise it would not have gained the rep as the "Dreaded" Marlin Jam...
why one couldn't just heat-treat the carrier to prevent it; ...
If Marlin would do it at the factory before installing the permenant/captured spring it would work great. Unfortunately, you can't even use Kasenite on the carrier without wrecking the captured spring.

I'm not sure when Marlin went from a hardened/forged carier to a soft cast carrier, but it was a bad idea for a part that has a bearing surface.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Nice refreshing topic after all the political nonsense and recent drama here at Leverguns. The recent events have caused me to shy away from posting at this place. You'd think we were running a drama school around here! :roll:

I think you need to compare the rifles by use or caliber although I agree with Griff and others with the Winchesters being lighter and slimmer. Personally, I don't think you will ever beat the Win '92 for pistol calibers and the '86's for rifle. The Marlin's are nice and the receiver's are good looking but like Joe, I struggle with the fore-arm design on most of them. I guess I'm just a Winchester guy, but every guy deserves one Marlin!

My next rifle purchase will probably be a Pedersoli Colt Lightning slicked up by our own Steve Young just for something different!

-Tutt
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

One of each has its advantages.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I have them both. Great rifles and I would not hesitate to buy either again.

8)
45Jack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45Jack »

J Miller wrote: I've NEVER liked the FAT, PREGNANT, OBESE, BULBOUS, SWOLLEN, BLOATED forearms

Joe
Joe, You bashing Popeye? He's from Chester Illinois you know.... :D

Jack
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I have an "affair" with Winchesters and cheat on them with my Marlins.

The later 336 does not do much for me.... I like Texans and any Marlin with a sqaure bolt. Skinny wood is a deal maker too... I never liked the fat forarmed 336's.... but I respect the Marlin action.

I like a 39A better than the 9422 ...the 39 is a little heavier and swings and holds better for me.

Jeff
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Winchester vs. Marlin which side to choose

Post by Slick13 »

Bigahh wrote:I do need a foul weather rifle that can hold a scope, so I put it on Layaway.
That's right, take the fat ugly Marlin out on dark, dreary, rainy, miserable days, when no one's gonna see you. Save the pretty Winchester for bright sunny days! :P

All kidding aside, other than the fat fore-end the XLR range is growing on me. Not suprising though since with that 24" barrel, short mag, rifle configuration, and pistol grip they're very similiar in style to the Winchester Model 64. It's too bad they don't come in blue and walnut.

~Michael
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

Hey, now!
Y'all quit talkin' trash about rifles that'r a little "broad in the hips" 8)
I think it just makes 'em a little easier to snuggle up to :D
Especially in the heavier calibers' it "smooths out the ride"! :lol:
Well, to each thier own, I reckon. Mine has the slender hips, and she looks just about right for what she is, even if she feels a little "narrow" when I got my hands on her.
If I knew more about how to work this comptometer thing, I'd be postin' more photos :wink:
And still, for sheer freindliness of the hardware, it's a Marlin '94 fer my money, but I wish my friends had more winchesters so I could go "dance with 'em" ! :)

Gryphon
bang.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

45Jack wrote:
J Miller wrote: I've NEVER liked the FAT, PREGNANT, OBESE, BULBOUS, SWOLLEN, BLOATED forearms

Joe
Joe, You bashing Popeye? He's from Chester Illinois you know.... :D

Jack
Well, then if he's from Chester, IL I guess I'll just offer my condolences.
IL is decent place to be from, but I sure don't brag about it.

J :wink: e
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Let's fine tune the query, please

Post by Naphtali »

Among the USRA M1886 with tang safety, Browning M71, and Marlin XLR .45-70 mechanisms which do you prefer? Why?

I appreciate the fact of the XLR's stainless steel for many operating parts, plus strong, warp resistant stock. I also appreciate an inherently smoother M1886 basis mechanism, plus superior trigger, on the other two.

I am a near fanatic about the advantages accruing in the XLR, but I own the other two. Perhaps, with remarkable improvement in corrosion preventing lubricants, some of the XLR's inherent advantage becomes less important??
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson