Subgun McLuvin' [Range Report issue]

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Subgun McLuvin' [Range Report issue]

Post by Panzercat »

Specifically, the Keltec Sub2000.

I've kind of wanted one of these off and on for a while but never had the patience to wait out keltec's production issues. With the forced retirement of the World's Best Gun Salesman, Sub2ks have finally come back into semi-kind-of-regular stock; to the point where even the Sportsman's Warehouse down here on the southwest side of Phoenix had one on display with a CMR30. Forties have always seemed to be in greater supply, but I've always been after the glock nine variant. Turns out, Classic Firearms unexpectedly delivered.

Not only were they stocking the glock 17 version at a reasonable price, they were stocking the much rarer navy blue version. I missed there first run, which seemed to only last an hour before selling out according to the time stamp on my email. I didn't expect another run, but my alert dropped a week later and I threw my cash at them. Honestly, I should have bought two. Having handled and shot one off before, I kind of knew how I wanted to build it and began to purchase peripherals. I recycled the MFT foregrip and torch from my old AR, likewise the single point sling. Two 32 round funsticks were almost mandatory. Lastly, a comp was purchased to tame the nine's wild recoil.

Just kidding, but the Sub's blowback design chunks a lot of mass back into the shoulder. Combined with the light weight, it throws the gun around a bit more than expected. The trigger is about five pounds in dry fire. It's not spectacular, but not horrible either. The weapon feels fairly solid for plastic, but I wouldn't be eager to put any undue stress on the plastic. I'm still looking for a red dot solution that won't interfere with the folding design,but haven't found anything besides either a QD mount or Midwest industries $99 solution. There's got to be something better than either.

In any case, there's fun to be had in the near future. I'll be back with a range report :)
Last edited by Panzercat on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Subgun McLuvin'

Post by JerryB »

Sure glad you got one. My grandson has had one for about three years. We have put a lot of rounds thru it and it just seems like a real pleasure to shoot it. He has carried on a few trips we have made to Little Rock, nice to have it in the truck.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Mine is the older style in .40 S&W using Glock magazines. On the newer ones, the front sight is sturdier and easier to use and adjust. They are a handy tool for travelling. While they are not a full size rifle, they are capable of good accuracy and have the right barrel length to get a lot more out of the cartridge than a 5 inch pistol can. The kick is a little surprising to most on the first time since it is a pistol cartridge.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cute, looks like a cap gun I had as a kid. :D

Sorry, I couldn't help it. :lol:

Anyway, I found these guys looking for Savage model 62 parts and saw they had a pile of Sub stuff. Customer service was top notch, hoping they graduate to Sig MPX accs. eventually.

https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2000 ... ories.aspx

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

2ndovc wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:49 am Cute, looks like a cap gun I had as a kid. :D

Sorry, I couldn't help it. :lol:

Anyway, I found these guys looking for Savage model 62 parts and saw they had a pile of Sub stuff. Customer service was top notch, hoping they graduate to Sig MPX accs. eventually.

https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2000 ... ories.aspx

jb 8)
Thanks for the information. I have bookmarked the site for future purchases. The aluminum trigger guard replacement and the flat replacement trigger with new springs looks good to me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Thanks for the info was thinking about getting one for my wife to carry in her truck.
It is not the critic who counts
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'd like to have one of those. I shot a friends and was impressed with how it worked and shot at distances that would be very difficult with a pistol.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Took it out to shooters world for a function check along with two 32 round fun sticks and the 17 round magpul that was included in the package. Kind of fun how all that fits in your backpack :) The first check was at 10-15 yards on a simple printer target just to see where the sights were.

A bit low and to the left, but not too darn bad for irons. After giving the adjustment several cranks clockwise, we tried again with notably better results. The brake did a serviceable job keeping muzzle rise in check, but the gun still wants to give your shoulder a noticeable love-tap. At 5ish pounds, the trigger was not a hindrance and I appreciated its linear travel to the hammer even if it doesn't break like a 1911. Next we pushed it out to 25 yards.

That's still minute of headshot on the irons. The Sub2k performed flawlessly with two sticks of brass and ball, so I decided to throw something a bit hotter down the pipe-- Grizzly 115gr +p HP rated to 1350fps... Out of a pistol. Lazy math tells me that a 16in barrel is going to add about 300fps to that, so call it out the door at 1650ish. Accuracy improved dramatically and once again the subgun swallowed them all without complaint. It's amazing how fast 80 rounds simply evaporated, but darn if it wasn't fun doing so.

None of the parts I have on hand will accommodate a red dot and allow the gun to remain folded, so I'm looking at the m-lok slots on the side for a solution. If anybody's still here for the gun pr0n, I'll post those when I get it :)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Subgun McLuvin' [Range Report issue]

Post by JerryB »

Those targets look real good, I knew you enjoy it after some shooting.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15