Follow up to the Iron Sight Thread.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger158
Levergunner 1.0

Follow up to the Iron Sight Thread.....

Post by Bridger158 »

I traded the mossberg nearly straight accross for a Remington 740 30-06. A model which I know has it's own issues, but the frame rails appear to be in good shape, so we'll see when I get to shoot it. BUT, it does have open sights at least lol.

And even if the rifle turns out to be a turd, it came with a Weaver K4, which I guess is worth something.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Follow up to the Iron Sight Thread.....

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have no experience with the 740. Don' forget to post range results and photos. :D
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Those Weaver K series,, u can never have enough of them.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

3leggedturtle wrote:Those Weaver K series,, u can never have enough of them.
I've got one of them... and after 34 years I had a problem getting it focused... Extremely frustrated, I was pert near to sending it to get rebuilt, but finally got it figured out. Some of the problem might be in my eye...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bridger158
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bridger158 »

Well, there's another chapter to this story lol

I shot a magazine full through the 740. It functioned fine, but I was in a hurry and just wanted to check function so I don't know about it's accuracy. But on the way home yesterday, I saw a sign advertising a gun show was in town.....so I went today. And I no longer have the 740. I now have a Remington 700 BDL in great shape for the 740 + $50. The 700 is also already setup with iron sights, but it's lacking the rear one because somebody took it off to mount a scope. But I checked on the net before I made the trade and that's a cheap fix.

So, in the end I feel like I got a much better rifle, and it's got iron sights like I initially wanted. Oh, and it is a 30-06 also. From reading on the internet I got the impression that 740 wasn't a super reliable rifle.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Glad that worked out !
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Do your research on the 700 trigger failures. It would be my excuse to upgrade to a Timney.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com