Just bought a new Ruger 77/22 Mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Just bought a new Ruger 77/22 Mag

Post by kaschi »

After the news about Ruger's discontinuing several Model 77 variants, including the 77/22 Mag, I grabbed one NIB. That's one rifle I've been meaning to buy for more than 20 yrs. Now it's scope buying time. What do you recommend? I'm leaning toward a fixed 4x but not as to which manufacturer to go with. There seems to be a large variation in pricing from maker to maker. Not sure about differences in quality though.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Just bought a new Ruger 77/22 Mag

Post by AJMD429 »

I have a Ruger 22 Mag, but it's a Levergun 8) - a 96/22Mag. I actually bought two, and converted one to a 17 HMR.

As far as optics, I just have a Bushnell 'Sportview' 4x on the 22 Mag, and it is a good match as far as the extra 'reach' of the 22 WMR cartridge. I haven't figured out the ideal scope for the 17 HMR-barreled one, because it is a bit more accurate than I can see with only a 4x scope.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

One of the best (cheapest) places to buy quality optics I've found is www.swfa.com - good folks to do business with.

I bought my 1st M-77/22RSM (.22Mag w/iron sights) when they were 1st introduced, because it was the only one I could get my paws on (this was well before the internet & ordering guns online).

I mounted Leupold's M8-4x Rimfire Compact scope on it, and couldn't have been happier.............. until, of course, when I finally ran across an M-77/22RM (mag, no sights) about 15 years ago.

I moved the Leupold 4x to the RM & sold the RSM bareback - and I'm still a happy camper.

(I use my guns 99% of the time for hunting, leaving target shooting for checking zero.)

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Leupold has a $50 rebate on VX-1 scopes through Oct 2. I just bought a 2x7 from Cabelas.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

never been a fan of 22 mag, and around where I find ammo 22 mag is unobtainium...

I'd like to know what the attraction and allure is. seriously. how is it used?

thanks
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Grizz, for me it's the fact that I can carry 100 rounds easily when hiking, and don't have to worry about saving brass and can get usable field accuracy to 150-200 yards for shooting and plinking. To my wayof thinking it adds 100 yards to the 22LR. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Love the Ruger 77 Rimfire platform!

I bought a LR back in the mid 80's, plan was to shoot Rimfire silhouettes. Never did. I put a Simmons 6-20. Yeah it's over kill for a .22 but sure makes it easy shooting groups! While I was in gunsmith school I restocked it with a high dollar hunk of Claro that is fiddleback from end to end.

When the 10/22 mag hit the market I picked one up. Put a carbon fiber barrel on it, Hogue over mould stock and then spent a boat load of money finding a load it liked.

Have also done a 10/22 LR up, except for a steel barrel.

Would love to find a 77/22 hornet, a /357 & a /44 for my collection!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Gonna have to check out that Leupold rebate deal ASAP...only a few days left! I've had really good luck with their scopes over the years.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

3leggedturtle wrote:Grizz, for me it's the fact that I can carry 100 rounds easily when hiking, and don't have to worry about saving brass and can get usable field accuracy to 150-200 yards for shooting and plinking. To my wayof thinking it adds 100 yards to the 22LR. Todd/3leg

Hey thanks for the response. The ammo argument makes a lot of sense. One of the big benefits of the 22 rimfires. And adding a hundred yards to the LR makes a lot of sense too. My Dad was fond of the 22 mag. He had a deringer in that caliber. snappy little thing :) .

Did you ever see the 400 yard penetration test of a 22LR shooting a beef roast? pass thru with some layers of denim in front of it. So maybe you can set that up at 500 yards and record the results. I bet there's a couple hundred guys right here that would love to see that. Besides us I mean. LOL

thanks again, your points are well thought out.