Help me fantasize

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Help me fantasize

Post by FLINT »

about Moose hunting that is.

I've been hunting deer for almost 30 years now, and this year I have enjoyed it maybe more than ever before. For some reason, out of the blue, within the last week, the thought of moose hunting has become very appealing to me - never really thought about it before. I'll talk it over with the wife and might start saving towards that goal.

Part of the fantasy would be obtaining a suitable hunting weapon. I currently have: Marlin 336 in 30-30, Marlin 336 in 35 Rem., Win. 94 in 32 WS, Win 1894 in 32-40, and Win 1894 in 30 WCF. Of those the 35 rem, would probably be the most suitable, but I'm not sure that its the best caliber for moose.

Let me know your opinions on the following for moose? Definitely only interested in leverguns. I could easily borrow a 30-06 from a number of people, but what fun is that?

348 winchester. I think that the model 71 is one really sweet looking rifle, and would love an excuse to have to get one. The ammo issue might be a hassle though.

444 Marlin. Certainly cheaper and easier to find a gun thus chambered and a million times easier to find ammo for. How is this caliber for moose? I also like that you can find marlin rifles that are actually configured pretty similar to the winchester 71. except for the top eject of course.

338 Marlin Express. I'm the least excited about this one. how would it be for moose though.

Maybe something in a Savage 1899? Might be interesting to diversify away from winchester and marlin. Might need to research this. Hadn't thought of it until just now.

Thanks guys. Its always fun to dream. especially about guns and large animals. :)
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Help me fantasize

Post by Merle »

FLINT wrote:about Moose hunting that is.

I've been hunting deer for almost 30 years now, and this year I have enjoyed it maybe more than ever before. For some reason, out of the blue, within the last week, the thought of moose hunting has become very appealing to me - never really thought about it before. I'll talk it over with the wife and might start saving towards that goal.

Part of the fantasy would be obtaining a suitable hunting weapon. I currently have: Marlin 336 in 30-30, Marlin 336 in 35 Rem., Win. 94 in 32 WS, Win 1894 in 32-40, and Win 1894 in 30 WCF. Of those the 35 rem, would probably be the most suitable, but I'm not sure that its the best caliber for moose.

Let me know your opinions on the following for moose? Definitely only interested in leverguns. I could easily borrow a 30-06 from a number of people, but what fun is that?

348 winchester. I think that the model 71 is one really sweet looking rifle, and would love an excuse to have to get one. The ammo issue might be a hassle though.

444 Marlin. Certainly cheaper and easier to find a gun thus chambered and a million times easier to find ammo for. How is this caliber for moose? I also like that you can find marlin rifles that are actually configured pretty similar to the winchester 71. except for the top eject of course.

338 Marlin Express. I'm the least excited about this one. how would it be for moose though.

Maybe something in a Savage 1899? Might be interesting to diversify away from winchester and marlin. Might need to research this. Hadn't thought of it until just now.

Thanks guys. Its always fun to dream. especially about guns and large animals. :)

A lot depends on your expected range. The 444 would be better for shorter range, while the 348 could stretch out a bit further. Buffalo Bore offers hotter 348 ammo, but your choices for factory ammo are limited. The 444 is easier to scope, if that matters. :wink:
Merle from PA
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

When I think of moose hunting I think of a Winchester 1895 rifle with a 26" tapered octagon barrel chambered for the 303 British round.

They just seem to go together in my minds eye.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

What you already have will work. But don't let that stop you from aquiring a model 71,especially the carbine. :wink:
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Flint Wrote;"338 Marlin Express. I'm the least excited about this one. how would it be for moose though ?". I could offer No better proof of the .338 Marlin than this. If Your not a Member of Marlin owners then You have to sign up.
Look up the posts by "Fly guide". This Hunter has killed several Big Elk, Mule Deer and a Awesome Bighorn Sheep with the .338 Marlin. He is Living the Dream. I can't see a Moose as a problem for the .338 at all.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

tman wrote:What you already have will work.

Yep, one of our Alaskan forum members (dimrod) has regularly taken some pretty large Moose with his .30-30.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ilit=moose

Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I killed a moose with the 338 Marlin Express, 250gr Rem bullet, 267 yards.
It will work. Endless choices for moose in a lever, geez, I have been suffering through that debate for long time, and already own a couple that would work, but the fun is in the debating and the looking.

348win would work great especially with 220 or 250 grain barnes bullets
45-70 in several choices of rifles, 444 also.
33 Winchester,
Savage 99 in 358 would be Ideal I think, or a 308 (or 375win or 284 or even 300 savage)
BLR in plethora of calibers
356 win in marlin or Winchester
Winchester 1895 in several calibers, 35 win, 405 win, '06 to name a few.
AND what I am still thinking on is a 348DC from David Clements.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Some will depend on where you want to hunt them. I've only hunted them here in Maine but the type of terain varies greatly. Up in the county (Aroostook), they get them a lot in the broccoli fields where ranges can stretch.
Where I've hunted is mostly wooded like whitetail country. If you get the September season during the rut you can call them quite effectively. This gives you more choices in your rifle. I've only used my 71 Winchester and it was more than enough. With a call you can usually get them inside 75 yards. With the right load your .35 would do the trick. If I had a choice I would opt for a little more. You mentioned a 99 Savage, many moose are shot here with .308's every year.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

The 348 is just about ideal for moose out to about 200 yards. I make my own ammo for it, but Buffalo Bore
does make high powered stuff, I have not tried it, 348 isn't hard to get materials for reloading. Any lever gunner wants a
Winchester 71 anyway. I hunted in BC this fall, my buddy got a big moose, I didn't get a shot, but next fall
plan to take one with my 1950 Winchester 71. I like the peep sight that came on it. Pretty fun seeing those
huge animals in the wild.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Thanks guys!

I'm hoping to try for moose in the northeast, and would prefer to keep ranges inside 100 yards. I've never shot a whitetail past 80 yards and deer much over 100 yards don't even register in my brain as being targets.

The idea of the 444 marlin is really growing on me, however the Winchester 71 is such a beautiful rifle. Is the marlin model 444 built on the same frame as the 336? Or is it beefier?

The 358 Winchester sounds like a good round, but man (to me) some of those savage 99s are pretty ugly.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Flint, I have shared your fantasy for 50 yrs. But last year, I changed my status from fantasy to dream. And in 10 months, the dream will be reality. I don't have to pinch myself to be sure, because the money is missing from my bank account and the rifle is sitting on my bench at this very moment.

I've hunted all over the West and other parts of the country and in Africa, and shot many different species of game. But for me, the moose hunt in Alaska has been the bench mark since my earliest fantasies. Now it is about to happen.

While any of your lever rifles would work, and several of mine would as well, I decided I had to have a .45-70 square bolt Marlin for this adventure and I've almost finished it. Just this week I ordered the custom mould that will make the 417 gr lead bullet that I will paper patch and seat over a healthy dose of 3fg Swiss blackpowder. This will be my moose rifle, even though I have taken a much bigger animal with a rifle I already own. This one has to be special.

So, I recommend that you get whatever rifle trips your trigger (pun totally intended). You mentioned a 71 Winchester first, so I think that is probably what you "need". For ammo, roll your own. If you don't already, it is not hard.

For me, a moose rifle has to be compact (26" model 95 is compact in my book), multishooting (it's the bears, you know :) ), handsome (to make me look good, er, better anyway), and have some traditional/historical value. It has to make a big hole going in, and a bigger hole going out. And it has to shoot black and lead.

But that's just me. For you, it has to be whatever it has to be. I'm guessing the 71 would make you happiest, so then it is just a matter of which permutation, what bullet, and how will you sight it.

So, were do you expect you might go moosing? Eastern Canada, or AK or start putting in for tickets in Wyoming and Colorado? I've hunted them in Ontario with a flintlock. No shots fired, but it was a lot of fun hunting in LOW.

Drop camp or guided? Float trip, horses, or shoe leather?

Whatever you choose, I suspect you won't regret the trip.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Brent, thanks a lot for the encouragement. I think that you are very right about getting the 'right' rifle for a very special trip. I'm glad that your hunt is going to be a reality, and that it will be exactly the way you want. I haven't yet thought out all the details of exactly how and where I will go after moose. My first thought is that I would want to try for the northeast. Either VT, NH, or ME, or eastern canada, though I don't know if Canada adds complications. I also imagined that I would hunt on foot but I need to do a lot more research into it for sure. I am from and my extended family all lives in upstate ny and the north woods are very special to me.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I've taken Moose with a 99 Savage in 308, it worked real well for me, also hunted them with a
300 Savage but didn't get a chance to use it

ollogger
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Flint,

My experience has been that taking rifles over the border is almost painless. But it will require filling out a form and paying some money (interestingly flintlocks are exempted). Coming back with the rifle will also be painless (and free). I have friends that cross the border all the time for matches and they have no problems.

A friend of mine hunted moose in NH I think it was. It was quite the adventure. He can create a true adventure out of a trip to the corner coffee shop however. He wrote up an epic story about it on a forum years ago. If I can find it, I'll send you a link.

Of course, along with a rifle you will undoubtedly need a good knife (or three, under construction). And probably some binocs, etc. Waders in my case (just arrived a few weeks ago, on sale).

Yes, you could find yourself in the middle of a real bonafide expedition!

GO FOR IT!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BrentD wrote:Flint, I have shared your fantasy for 50 yrs. But last year, I changed my status from fantasy to dream. And in 10 months, the dream will be reality. I don't have to pinch myself to be sure, because the money is missing from my bank account and the rifle is sitting on my bench at this very moment.

I've hunted all over the West and other parts of the country and in Africa, and shot many different species of game. But for me, the moose hunt in Alaska has been the bench mark since my earliest fantasies. Now it is about to happen.

While any of your lever rifles would work, and several of mine would as well, I decided I had to have a .45-70 square bolt Marlin for this adventure and I've almost finished it. Just this week I ordered the custom mould that will make the 417 gr lead bullet that I will paper patch and seat over a healthy dose of 3fg Swiss blackpowder. This will be my moose rifle, even though I have taken a much bigger animal with a rifle I already own. This one has to be special.

So, I recommend that you get whatever rifle trips your trigger (pun totally intended). You mentioned a 71 Winchester first, so I think that is probably what you "need". For ammo, roll your own. If you don't already, it is not hard.

For me, a moose rifle has to be compact (26" model 95 is compact in my book), multishooting (it's the bears, you know :) ), handsome (to make me look good, er, better anyway), and have some traditional/historical value. It has to make a big hole going in, and a bigger hole going out. And it has to shoot black and lead.

But that's just me. For you, it has to be whatever it has to be. I'm guessing the 71 would make you happiest, so then it is just a matter of which permutation, what bullet, and how will you sight it.

So, were do you expect you might go moosing? Eastern Canada, or AK or start putting in for tickets in Wyoming and Colorado? I've hunted them in Ontario with a flintlock. No shots fired, but it was a lot of fun hunting in LOW.

Drop camp or guided? Float trip, horses, or shoe leather?

Whatever you choose, I suspect you won't regret the trip.
Dang....I started drooling as soon as I started reading your post. Please take lots of pictures, and share when you get back.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I saw a video once where this Canadian man shot a Moose in the lungs with his .32-20.
He then built a fire and made a pot of tea. After enjoying his cup-o-tea , he ambled over to the moose with his skinning knife in hand. It had traveled less than 100 yd. :wink:

If you tried that here you would find another hunter skinning your animal. If they don`t drop right soon some other hunter will claim it. :x
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hmmmm my only lever choice anymore would be the 444 Marlin with a big chunk of lead !

But I gotta be honest , if I were plunking down the schekels to go on a guided moose hunt I'd more then likely take a bolt action 300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FLINT wrote:The idea of the 444 marlin is really growing on me, however the Winchester 71 is such a beautiful rifle. Is the marlin model 444 built on the same frame as the 336? Or is it beefier?
The 336 , 444 and present 1895 action are all the same basic thing .

The 450 Marlin , 308 Marlin Ex and 338 Marlin Ex are a little different in that their barrels are threaed to the action with V threads as opposed to the square threads used for all the other cartridges .

In Maine I think I would have no issue with a Marlin 444P shooting the Ranch Dog 432-300GC pushed pretty well with H322 . I would also have either a Leupold VX2 1-4 or 2-7 on top .
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

6pt-sika wrote:Hmmmm my only lever choice anymore would be the 444 Marlin with a big chunk of lead !

But I gotta be honest , if I were plunking down the schekels to go on a guided moose hunt I'd more then likely take a bolt action 300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag .
It's all about the hunt, not the kill. We all do our own thing, but I'd probably not go at all if a bolt action was required. Esp. a .300 or .338. No need for anything like those. They hold no interest at all for me.

No guide either.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Captain Flint,
Let me explain something to you......life is short.....and you never knows what's around the corner.......if there is something you want to do.....do it......don't let someone, something, or an "imagined financial difficulty" deter you.......do it!

With my knowledge, any big magnum is OK.....BUT NOTHING beats using the gun that stirs your soul........with me, it's 1886 Winchesters......with you......well, you know what it takes.

Go bust a moose with whatever it takes......life is short.....enjoy.....don't get stuck in misery like others do. (Blaine) .....you know.....always dreaming....with their hands where the Good Lord says they should not be.

Enjoy the time while your here............--------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

don't get stuck in misery like others do. (Blaine)
Once an azzhole, always an azzhole......I'd love to meet you someday, Buddy 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Brent, I hope to heck you will document this hunt you have coming up -- and give us a tour of your square-bolt Marlin project. Taking an Alaskan moose has been one of my dreams too, but the financials are always daunting.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Sixgun wrote:Captain Flint,
Let me explain something to you......life is short.....and you never knows what's around the corner.......if there is something you want to do.....do it......don't let someone, something, or an "imagined financial difficulty" deter you.......do it!

With my knowledge, any big magnum is OK.....BUT NOTHING beats using the gun that stirs your soul........with me, it's 1886 Winchesters......with you......well, you know what it takes.

Go bust a moose with whatever it takes......life is short.....enjoy.....don't get stuck in misery like others do. (Blaine) .....you know.....always dreaming....with their hands where the Good Lord says they should not be.

Enjoy the time while your here............--------6
Thanks Six,

I'm going to do my best to make it happen!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BrentD wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:Hmmmm my only lever choice anymore would be the 444 Marlin with a big chunk of lead !

It's all about the hunt, not the kill. We all do our own thing, but I'd probably not go at all if a bolt action was required. Esp. a .300 or .338. No need for anything like those. They hold no interest at all for me.

No guide either.
To each his own !

But as I said "if I'm the one footing the bill" and it isn't in the north east , it's bolt action all the way for me . Hell if it's in Alaska I might even go so far as to take my 375 H&H MAG although it's on a Ruger #1 and not a bolt action .
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

45-70
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I get calls all the time from people who have booked a hunt up here and want to know what rifle to buy for the hunt. My first response is always, "What have you got already?" For the most part, if the guy has a .308 or .30-06, I tell him he is good to go for moose or caribou. Moose are not so tough like bear or some of the African stuff, like buffalo.

(The exception is that some guides require a .300 WM or sometimes a .338 WM as a minimum, with the hopes that it will do enough damage to slow the animal when shots are botched.)

Of the cartridges that you have, I would caution you that only any of them would work fine for moose under 100 yards, or even further. 35 Rem would be a good choice, as you mentioned.

However, if you are considering buying a Model 71, just get it - no excuses are necessary. :lol: It is perfect for moose, with any of the available bullets I know of from 200 gr. up. It's worth any hassle to find ammo. Buffalo Bore usually has ammo in stock.

If I were considering a lever gun and caliber for moose, I would be happy with:
Winchester M71, .348
'95 Winchester in any of the calibers it has been chambered in: .30-40, .30-03/.30-06, .405, .35 WCF, .270, etc., or .35 Whelen, which it was not chambered for.
Savage '99 in .300 Savage, .308, 7mm-08, etc.
Winchester 94 in .35-30, 7-30 Waters, .38-55 (had to throw these in for fun) :D
The historic cartridges in a Winchester '86, like .45-70, .38-56, or .33 WCF, etc.

I'd love to shoot a moose with my .45-75 - for sure I'm going to try to get a bear with it this spring.

However, what you have would certainly work.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

7.62 Precision wrote:I get calls all the time from people who have booked a hunt up here and want to know what rifle to buy for the hunt. My first response is always, "What have you got already?" For the most part, if the guy has a .308 or .30-06, I tell him he is good to go for moose or caribou. Moose are not so tough like bear or some of the African stuff, like buffalo.

(The exception is that some guides require a .300 WM or sometimes a .338 WM as a minimum, with the hopes that it will do enough damage to slow the animal when shots are botched.)

Of the cartridges that you have, I would caution you that only any of them would work fine for moose under 100 yards, or even further. 35 Rem would be a good choice, as you mentioned.

However, if you are considering buying a Model 71, just get it - no excuses are necessary. :lol: It is perfect for moose, with any of the available bullets I know of from 200 gr. up. It's worth any hassle to find ammo. Buffalo Bore usually has ammo in stock.

If I were considering a lever gun and caliber for moose, I would be happy with:
Winchester M71, .348
'95 Winchester in any of the calibers it has been chambered in: .30-40, .30-03/.30-06, .405, .35 WCF, .270, etc., or .35 Whelen, which it was not chambered for.
Savage '99 in .300 Savage, .308, 7mm-08, etc.
Winchester 94 in .35-30, 7-30 Waters, .38-55 (had to throw these in for fun) :D
The historic cartridges in a Winchester '86, like .45-70, .38-56, or .33 WCF, etc.

I'd love to shoot a moose with my .45-75 - for sure I'm going to try to get a bear with it this spring.

However, what you have would certainly work.
Thanks man, that's very helpful.

also, I found an enjoyed your article on shooting the charging moose with your mod. 71.