OT - ML Knives

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

OT - ML Knives

Post by CraigC »

Anybody have any experience with these? I've been wanting a rather authentic looking frontier knife for hunting/skinning duties and found an ad for this maker. Prices seem really reasonable. I've got the hots for a rig from Wild Rose/Cactus Rose but right now can't spend that much money on it.

http://www.mlknives.com
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Very good quality. He makes good steel and are affordable
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Nice looking knives...especially the Bowies :P
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Those are all nice. Personally I've always been a cheapskate and thought that a Green River knife did everything I needed to do.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I just bookmarked that page! COOL!!! 8)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Rusty wrote:Those are all nice. Personally I've always been a cheapskate and thought that a Green River knife did everything I needed to do.

Rusty <><
They certainly are nice knives, would be reluctant to use them.

However, my Green River "Sheep Skinners" get plenty of work.

Cheers

Mark
paulyseggs
Levergunner

Post by paulyseggs »

I've had one of his knives since either 99 or 00. I bought it from a small trading post type shop in the Adirondacks of NY, didn't know anything about the guy or his knives but the curly maple handle and the acid etched blade caught my eye! Takes an edge like nothing else I own. Perfect size, and does everything I need it to. Lost it 3 times and and searched till I found it everytime!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Just marked that one too! Thanks for sharing these guys!!! :D
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

When I was a kid I had a Green River knife. Somehow it got away. Since I am now reliving my childhood I looked for one and found these guys.

http://www.crazycrow.com/

They have a lot of cool stuff and a Green River knife like mine isn't very expensive.

http://www.crazycrow.com/Merchant2/merc ... ct_Count=6
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Dave wrote:When I was a kid I had a Green River knife. Somehow it got away. Since I am now reliving my childhood I looked for one and found these guys.

http://www.crazycrow.com/

They have a lot of cool stuff and a Green River knife like mine isn't very expensive.

http://www.crazycrow.com/Merchant2/merc ... ct_Count=6
This has been a great string - three new wonderful websites!!! :D
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Well, thanks for the input. I pulled the trigger on it this afternoon. After several emails back and forth, he put me on the list to build a 4½"-5" drop point skinner with a crown stag handle. He's backlogged about four months so I also ordered an 8" bowie he already had made. Fourth one down on this page.

http://www.mlknives.com/gallery1.html
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Craig those look nice, I'd like to hear your initial impressions when you recieve it.
Thanks to all who posted links.
I feel like a kid in a candy store.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Those ML knives look really nice. I saw about a dozen I would like to have for myself or give as gifts. I bookmarked his home page as well. I finally found a local guy that builds knives and will build a knife to any pattern and use any steel, which is great cause I have few I want to have built one day.

Nice post Craig. I'm slowly truning into a knife junkie.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Got the bowie this morning. Looks like a fine knife. Very well put together, well balanced and razor sharp. Nice and heavy at 3/16" thick. I'm well pleased with it, now I need to go cut something. I'll try to post some pics later, along with the Lyman Great Plains Rifle I promised.

On a side note, I'm gonna have to whoop the mailman. It came in one of those long triangular Priority Mail packages. Rather than driving it right up to the front door, he left it hanging halfway out of the mailbox. Any of these road drunks could've ridden by and snagged it. I just flat would've been out of a $200 knife!
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I know this is an old thread but I just now found it. I've had one of his knives for awhile now and it's without a doubt the best one I've ever owned.
They hold an edge well and make skinning a breeze. Definately money well spent imho.