Hornady Leverevolution ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Hornady Leverevolution ammo

Post by getitdone1 »

In town today and bought my first box of Hornady's Leverevolution ammo. For my model 64 30-30.

Haven't shot it yet but after looking at it I wondered if there was a possibility of the soft pointed tip breaking off and then danger of of an explosion in the tubular magazine. For instance say a guy carried a few in his pocket with a pocket knife and while bending over he puts pressure between the knife and the bullet tip. Then, loads it without realizing the tip is broken off.

I'm confident this type of ammo is safe in all regards. Just wonder'in.

How do some of you like this Leverevolution ammo?

I'll be seeing how well it penetrates plastic milk jugs filled with water and comparing to regular 30-30 ammo. I expect about the same.

Don McCullough
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Hornady Leverevolution ammo

Post by Stan in SC »

You will be pleasantly surprised at the accuracy,speed and dependability of this ammunition.

Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

getitdone1 wrote: I wondered if there was a possibility of the soft pointed tip breaking off and then danger of of an explosion in the tubular magazine.

Don McCullough
Don, a few months ago I decided to test the old "don't shoot pointy bullets in a tubular magazine" mantra. Epoxied a firing pin into the nose of a 45 cal bullet and loaded full power 454 Casull loads in my little Rossi. Couldn't set off a primer with this, no way, no how. So I personally have quit worrying about the shape of a bullet in my magazines.

Anyway, I can guarantee you that breaking off the gummy tip is not going to produce a cartridge-firing mechanism. Rest easy on that point, anyway.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I have used it in a Marlin 1895 in .45-70. Winchester 94 in .30-30, and a Puma 92 in .357 with good results. It fed well, was accurate and best of all, no explosions. God Bless. :D
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

It says on the box you have to change out the follower or somthing like that. Do you have to with the Winchester 94?
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Bob Winchester wrote:It says on the box you have to change out the follower or somthing like that. Do you have to with the Winchester 94?

Bob Winchester,

Just now looked at the back of the box and it says: "....may require a new magazine follower to provide best possible functioning of the last round out of the magazine." Says "may," so we'll see.

Hornady also suggests on back of box to not store these cartridges for long periods of time in the tubular magazine as it may deform the tips.

See where the primers are more flattened than any 30-30 factory loaded cartridge I've ever seen. I'm sure they know this and there's a reason(s). Could be nothing more than "soft" primers that function very reliably.

Don
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don,

I haven't used any 30-30 gummy tips yet, but I have tried the .45 Colt version.
I fired them in my 1894 Marlin Cowboy with an after market magazine follower and they fed just fine. Even the last round.
I fired one group at 100 yards and all 5 hit the target. That's all I can say as there wasn't much of a group.
I also tried them from my Uberti Cattleman and OM Ruger BH and neither grouped well with these bullets.

Some have said they are very accurate, but I can't verify that from my very limited tests. Unfortunately I don't have the funds to buy enough of the ammo to really give it a thorough testing.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I've shot several through my Marlin XLR 45-70 that I had shortened to 18". It is very accurate in my rifle. At 100 yards I had several 3 shot groups touching. I've also taken a cow elk and a bull last year with it.

I tried the the 30-30's in a 1961 Winchester 94 and they were not as accurate as plain old Remingtons - core lokt.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have tried them in 45-70, 35 Rem and 30-30 and all were accurate.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

Here is a my target of last Sunday at 100 yards. upper 5 rounds are leverevolution. lower cluster are of various 30-30 brands mostly Monarch 30-30 150 gr. from Academy sports. From my Marlin clone Revelation 200.. My conclusion is that the leverevolution is hotter and accurate. Took a doe at probably 150 yards with it.
ImageImage
Last edited by 93marshooter on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

earlmck wrote: Don, a few months ago I decided to test the old "don't shoot pointy bullets in a tubular magazine" mantra. Epoxied a firing pin into the nose of a 45 cal bullet and loaded full power 454 Casull loads in my little Rossi. Couldn't set off a primer with this, no way, no how.
Earl, you are a very brave scientist! :shock: I wouldn't have tried it. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

They work great in my, and my son's 336, 30-30's. Try them on game, it'll make you think your 30-30 is on steroids. :shock:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I got some of the LE 30-30 ammo the year it surfaced and shot it in a Marlin 336XLR with a Leupold VX1 3-9 scope . That rifle shot the stuff at 100 yards for 3 shots in 3/4" . Later that same year I layed the smack down on a doe whitetail at about 60 yards NO PROBLEM !

That same year I used the Marlin 1895XLR with the LE ammo and pole axed a 5 point whitetail at about 75 yards .

The following year I used the Marlin 1895MXLR (450 Marlin) with the LE ammo and knocked the fire outta two whitetails slicks at about 60 yards PDQ no problems !

Couple days later of that same year I used the then new Marlin 336XLR in 35 REM with the LE ammo and dropped a whitetail slick dead right there at about 40 yards .

The year following that I used the then new 308 Marlin Express in a 308MXLR rifle and killed a doe and a button buck at about 75 yards shot the doe behind the shoulder and she was DRT and then I shot the button in the temple and of course it was the same for him . With the 308 Express ammo in the 308MXLR I had it was shooting 3 at 100 in about 1 1/4" to start but after about 40 rounds and a good scrubbing every 10 shots it dropped on into about 7/8" . At the same time I was messing with a Marlin 308MX while using a Leupold Vari XIII 2.5-8x and that one shot several 3/4" for 3 at 100 yard groups right out the box !

I shot the MArlin 444XLR with the LE ammo and it did about 1 1/2" on paper for 3 shots at 100 but I never got the oppurtunity to take it to the woods before I sold the rifle .
When the 338 Marlin Express came out I again bought a pair the 338MX and the 338MXLR and both these shot the factory stuff for 3 shots at 100 in about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" . I believe if I had kept those two a bit longer and let the barrels wear in so to speak they may very well have dropped inside an inch at 100 yards with factory .

I had some of the 32 Special LE ammo but never fired it , same can be said for the LE ammo in 357 MAG and 44 MAG .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

6pt-sika wrote:.
When the 338 Marlin Express came out I again bought a pair the 338MX and the 338MXLR and both these shot the factory stuff for 3 shots at 100 in about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" . .

Thats the accuracy i was getting with my guide Gun in 45-70 with that ammo a couple of weeks ago prior to opening day rifle season when i checked my zero

I shouldn't admit this on an open forum, but that's with a dirty bore too -- i haven't cleaned it since rifle deer season last year (still probably only 10-12 rounds through it since then, though)

I love the stuff --- my brother thought he was shooting laser beams with his open sighted 30-30.
----- Doug
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I have used this ammo in all of my lever guns...Winchester, Marlin, Rossi/Puma etc. I have never had a problem with any of it in any caliber.

I have also taken a round and really tried to put some pressure on it with my finger nail and some other things to see how easy the tip would come off. I am not worried in any way that the ammo would become unsafe under normal use.