Who needs the .44's anyway?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Don McDowell

Re: Who needs the .44's anyway?

Post by Don McDowell »

If Marlin/Remington would have had their heads pulled out of their ^*** when they came up with the 444. They would of put it in an action long enough to be usefull with that big cartridge, and furnished the barrel with something around a 20 inch twist so it could handle bullets of 300 grs or heavier with some useable space left in the case. That would of been a jimdandy cartridge, and if you read some of the early reviews of the cartridge, that's the same critism the oldguy gunwriters had about it.
Which is better the 45 colt or 44 special?, hell after 40 someodd years of using both seriously there's no difference. With the exception of the 44 bullets of equal weight to the 45's will have somewhat better sectional density.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I love the .45 Colt, think the .45-70 is dandy and just bought another .44 Special (my third)... It hasn't even been shipped yet but here's a photo...

Yeah, just sent the money off for this.... :oops: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Don McDowell wrote:If Marlin/Remington would have had their heads pulled out of their ^*** when they came up with the 444. They would of put it in an action long enough to be usefull with that big cartridge, and furnished the barrel with something around a 20 inch twist so it could handle bullets of 300 grs or heavier with some useable space left in the case. That would of been a jimdandy cartridge, and if you read some of the early reviews of the cartridge, that's the same critism the oldguy gunwriters had about it.
Which is better the 45 colt or 44 special?, hell after 40 someodd years of using both seriously there's no difference. With the exception of the 44 bullets of equal weight to the 45's will have somewhat better sectional density.
If the assorted clowns at Marlin had REALLY pulled their heads out, they'd have chambered the 95 for the most excellent .416 Barnes. Winchester/Browning/Miroku would be well-advised to give it a run as well.

But I digress....

Agreed, the .444 would have been a much better cartridge from the get-go, with 300-gr. bullets and a 20" twist. But then, there would have been little reason for it, since the .45-70 already did (does) that, and then some.

Now that we have 'super' .45s and guns to shoot 'em from, the .44 caliber revolver rounds make less & less sense.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I'll keep my 44's because I like them. I started with that several years ago and that is what I'm set up for. That 45 Colt is a bit bigger, just like the 41 is a bit smaller. Who cares they'll all do the job very nicely. I don't want alot of different calibers so there I am.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yup Buck, a 40 something would be a good idea. But the 405 isn't very popular with the exception of a few of dingalings like myself :)

:D Super 45's give me the giggles. The 454 does at 60K pressure what the 4570 does at 20k+-, yet the 300 gr .458 bullet at 1600 is anemic and not worthy, yet a .452 300 gr bullet at the same speed is a great slayer of anything that ever has or will walk. :) Think it still comes down to , if it hurts like hell when you yank the trigger it's got to be good on the other end too. :mrgreen:
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

Hay, Hobie.....Is that a Model 696 ya' got there????

I've got one of the first ones with the firing pin still on the hammer. It's a great little .44 that shoots like a dream. Mine has the hard rubber grips on it still, but I want to swap them out for a nice wood set when I get the chance.
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Just think if we did not have the .44 Mag, we would never have had "Dirty Harry".

"So do you think your lucky? Punk" "Go ahead and make my day!"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Hank Dodge wrote:Hay, Hobie.....Is that a Model 696 ya' got there????

I've got one of the first ones with the firing pin still on the hammer. It's a great little .44 that shoots like a dream. Mine has the hard rubber grips on it still, but I want to swap them out for a nice wood set when I get the chance.
Yes it is. Mine is a 1996 mfg as well, or so it appears. Has the hammer mounted firing pin. A 696, I think the 696-1 with the MIM changes came in 1997... I'm chuffed.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

WE ALL DO! After all, the first centerfire cartridge developed for a lever action rifle was our very own .44 W.C.F. / .44-40. :mrgreen:

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Give me a good shootin' 44 Mag, and a bag of taters, and I'll be happy for awhile!!!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

JimT wrote:We have a lot of people in influential places that are convinced we don't need any firearm, no matter what is.
The best reply in this entire thread.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Great replies - Thanks! I like the defensive, objective, condescending and subjective information that all helps me make my decisions. For the record, I have had a 44 Mag rifle (2 of them) and handgun and I have taken 15 big game animals with the 44 Mag cartridge, all with regular factory loads. Similarly, I have a 45 Colt rifle and handgun and have taken an equal number of animals with those, except mostly with handloads or Grizzly Cartridge ammo. For carry, in a wheelgun I favor my 44 SPL Bulldog (loaded with Grizzly Extreme) because of the small grip. I lilke just as much my Taurus 450 in 45 Colt which is the same frame size as the Bulldog but the grip is much bigger so it is a little harder to conceal (loaded with 265 gr Swift A-Frames at 920 fps).
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member