ot- Remingtn 7600

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

ot- Remingtn 7600

Post by 2ndovc »

There's a Rem. 7600 at the local
Gander Mtn. in .300 Savage for $499. in perfect
shape.

I thought that was a lot until I got home and looked the 7600 up on GB and
Auction Arms.

Is the .300 Savage uncommon in the Remington?

I need a new gun and another cartridge like a hole in the head and i'm about broke for another
couple months but at Gander I can put it in "Lay in Wait" for 10%!

Talk me into it! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: ot- Remingtn 7600

Post by awp101 »

2ndovc wrote:Talk me into it! :D
Of course you need it.

There, did that help any? :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Andrew!
That's a Big help!

jb 8)

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Anytime pal, that's why I'm here! :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Not sure but I think Remington made those in 300 savage a couple years ago as a 1 time deal. A nice little Deer Round, and a Quick Rifle. The only complaint I ever heard about the 7600 was that the pump makes a rattling noise when carrying, otherwise most everyone that has one loves them. My buddy has one in .270, and shoots oodles of deer from a tree stand with it. He says it never rattles while on stand. The way I look at it 3 of the very best deer Hunters in America use them, The Benoit Brothers, so they must work!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

The 7600 is a great gun in my opinion. The gun rack in our Central Pennsylvania deer racks are filled with either 760/7600's or leverguns - no wonder I fit in there so good.

I have never seen one of these pump guns shoot bad. I have handled and shot 243, 308, 30-06, 270, 6mm and all were shooters. Mine, is a newer 7600 30-06 carbine that wears a Leupold 2-7x VX-I scope and was magna-ported. I had it magna-ported, not so much for the recoil reduction but for the muzzle lift it had with the carbine barrel. Most 22" barrels do not have the muzzle jump as the carbines have. My rifle easily shoots 1" or better with my handloads and has killed all kinds of whitetails and one PA black bear. It is a joy to carry and hunt with.

I can not talk too much on the 300 savage, but it is a classic deer round and would make for a slick little shooter in the 7600. $499 for a new rifle is pretty fair, except you can usually find a lightly used rifle in a more common round, say 30-06 for around $350 if you look long enough.

I say go for it - you I beleive you'll like the rifle.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Had an earlier 760 in 300 savage dating from the 60s/70s sometime. I didn't know they built them later in that caliber in the 7600. Still, mine was a good rifle, dependable, very accurate and unfortunately filled a niche I didn't think I had (at the time), so it got traded.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Sounds like you got a college degree lecture for that talk you wanted, you been back to Gander Mtn. yet? :lol: Those Benoits do use that particular rifle mostly, and how could you go wrong with a rig like that? I've had a hankering for the semi-auto version of that style gun myself, but may get the bug for the pump instead, either one would be satisfying ( for maybe one or two days) until the disease reared it's head back up.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I've got a 760 in .300 Savage that belonged to my Great Grandfather. He bought it in the early 50's for hunting up in Idaho. I inherited it in the mid 80's after his death. It's beat up from one end to the other, and it looks like a bear took a bite out of the stock. It has virtually no bluing left and the action is butter smooth it's so worn out, but... it's never failed to kill what I've aimed it at. I've taken a half dozen or so deer with it, have no complaints. The 300 savage is a great round. It kills like larger 300 without all the abuse. I bet you'd like it.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Bigahh wrote:Not sure but I think Remington made those in 300 savage a couple years ago as a 1 time deal. A nice little Deer Round, and a Quick Rifle. The only complaint I ever heard about the 7600 was that the pump makes a rattling noise when carrying, That was a valid complaint for the early 760 but was corrected when Remington replaced the metal cover palte with a plastic one. otherwise most everyone that has one loves them. My buddy has one in .270, and shoots oodles of deer from a tree stand with it. He says it never rattles while on stand. The way I look at it 3 of the very best deer Hunters in America use them, The Benoit Brothers, so they must work!
That's a pretty darn good price for a 7600 of any caliber. It's a great price for a 7600 in .300 Savage.

I have a first month/first year (FEB 1952) model 760, another 760 made in 1960, and a 7600 made in 2005 -- all .30-06. All three are good rifles.
Last edited by Modoc ED on Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ED
Yer never too old
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i have a 760 in 30-06. it's more accurate than the gun magazines would have you believe. 300 savage is a great north american game cartridge. it was developed to duplicate 1920's 30-06 performance for use in the savage 99. game hit with either will never know the difference.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

I am an enabler. I say go get it before someone else does. When I get the hankerin' for another gun (that I think I "need" to make my assortment complete) and then find it I am always afraid someone else will buy it before I can make up my mind. Lately I have decided that if I want it and can afford it I'll buy it and then make up my mind if I want to keep it or pass it on. My first deer rifle was a Remington 7600 30-06. It was very accurate and pointed very naturally for me. I do not remember a problem with a rattle. A few years ago I heard a rumor that Remington was going to drop the 7600 so I wanted another. I bought a .35 Remington caliber 7600 Carbine that was a limited run for Grice's in Pennsylvania. I never shot that one and later sold it. I was dissapointed to find that the trigger housing was no longer metal but plastic and had the "j-lock" trigger locking device I just could not warm up to that gun so it had to go. I plan to eventually get another 7600 but it will be an older gun with out the plastic.
Goat

P.S. Don't forget to post a range report when you get it home!!!
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Goat -

My 7600 has that "plastic" trigger guard and the "J" lock safety BUT it shoots like a house afire and is rugged as all get out. I don't like the "J" lock so I don't use it. I just use the safety button. As for the "plastic" trigger guard, the entire trigger group from the 7600 and the 870 pump shotgun interchange. Pretty slick to my way of thinking. I have a complete spare trigger group that goes with me to the field whenever I take either the 7600 or 870. Good to know I've got a spare just in case.
ED
Yer never too old
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Grice is a company that contracts with Remington to make special limited runs. For example, the 7600 has been made in 260, 25-06, 300 Savage, and 35 Remington but not shown in Remington catalogs. Sometimes, special stocks of maple have been contracted. Grice markets these rifles through their store in Pennsylvania and websites such as GunsAmerica and others. $499. seems reasonable for new rifle with walnut stock.

300 Savage is the ORIGINAL efficient short 30 caliber cartridge. Ballistics obtained from this case length are still impressive!

This is our older Remington 760 in .243 that Dad bought in 1969. Stocks were replaced in 1983. This rifle does not make loose action noises and it shoots amazing groups with 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. Dozens and dozens of 'lopes and mulies have been felled by this rifle.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D I just found a beater 7600 in .35 Remington at the local pusher's store. For the princely sum of $200. I may have to go pick it up..... :D
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I think I'm going to pass on this one. If it were a .35 Rem. I'd do it but I just don't want to
get into yet another caliber.

If any of you guys are interested it's at the Gander Mountain in Sheffield Lake, OH
Ph# should be listed on their website.

Just too much $$ going out these days.

jb 8)