Am I nuts or what?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bearhands
Levergunner 1.0

Am I nuts or what?

Post by Bearhands »

I have a really neat (beautiful condition) blued 2.75" Speed Six that I lusted after for some time.... It shoots great.... BUT.... I have this HUGE hankerin for a Blackhawk .357 4 5/8" Flattop. I'd need to trade/sell the Speed 6 to get it.. What are your thoughts? I don't need a carry gun(have one) I'd just like to have a great woods/plunkin gun.
p.s. I think the Blackhawk would go well w/ my (pre 64) Mod 94
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Am I nuts or what?

Post by rangerider7 »

If it is an old flat top in good shape, I would trade in a minute. They are great to carry outdoors.
"That'll Be The Day"
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

The speed six is an awesome gun.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Having been one that has sold guns in the past to finance new purchases, I only recommend it if you have to have that new gun and there is absolutely no way to finance it. A few years ago, I sold a S&W 586 because I already have a S&W M19 both in .357 mag. The M19 has more sentimental value so I decided to sell the M586. I doubled the money that I had in the M586, however, the gun continued to rise in value due to the fact that S&W no longer produces a 586. I kick myself all the time for letting the gun go. I seriously doubt that a security six is going to start escalating in price, however, it would always be nice to have nearby in the nightstand or glovebox and could also serve as a CCW piece. I would say save your money or use a layaway program and finance your new purchase that way. With gun rights being so fragile these days, Guns are only going to grow in value. DONT CASH OUT EARLY. GUNS ARE AN INVESTMENT. Let it grow. I bought my M586 for $225 years ago. I sold it for $450, in the condition that it was in, I am fairly sure it would bring $600 today.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Follow your heart. Ok, that's pretty vauge advice. :lol: I would say to keep the SS and get a BH. There, you have you cake and you get to eat it!
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Wonder where that puts my 8 & 3/8 586 blue?
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Andrew wrote:Follow your heart. Ok, that's pretty vauge advice. :lol: I would say to keep the SS and get a BH. There, you have you cake and you get to eat it!
+1 to Andrew and Horsesoldier. That has been my experience too. You will kick yourself for getting rid of a superb revolver. I got rid of my GP-100, thinking my SA's would be all that a guy would ever need, and have kicked myself ever since. I now have a 2.75" Security Six that belonged to my Dad. For concealability, comfort as well fast and accurate first shot, the Security has my SA's beat. When I don't feel the need to conceal, my Flat Top or Super go with me. They all have their place and have become favorites for different reasons.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Having been one to buy and sell guns for many years now, I can say that there have been several dozens through my hands, but only one that I truly regret selling. There were several others that I was worried I would regret, but so far have not, and if I did they were common enough that they could be replaced without too much trouble. I still have many more guns than I "need" but only a dozen or so that are somewhat collectible that I will never part with.

If there is something you want, and you must sell something you currently own to get it, I say go for it. So long as what your selling can be replaced at a later date if you so desire.
NRA Life Member
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

when I bought my guns I always told myself I could sell them off if they weren't right or I didn't use them enough. So far I haven't sold any, and when I think about doing so I don't follow through.

Guess I'm clinging to my guns.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Well sometime you just gotta have it.I never really regret a trade.Use them then send them away :twisted: :lol: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The 357 Flat Top is a great gun. You won't go wrong with one.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Joe Reilly
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joe Reilly »

What do you need to get for the Speed Six? .357?
NRA Benefactor Member

My mind is like a steel trap,
rusty and illegal in 37 states.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Remember, Ruger stopped making the Security/Speed/Service Six a long time ago. They won't be all that easy to find in the future--for several reasons.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bearhands
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bearhands »

Gentlemen... THANKS VERY MUCH for your valued input and suggestions, I really do appreciate reading the comments on this forum.

My gut tells me that I am indeed "nuts" to think of saying goodbye to my lil Speed 6, after all, I am a "gun-clinging" Pennsylvanian.
I'll be squirreling away whatever I can for the Blackhawk.
Remember, Ruger stopped making the Security/Speed/Service Six a long time ago.
<--that one, kinda got me realizing that there'll be plenty of Blackhawks around when I've gathered up enough.

I'm not an "investing collector" of guns, I am one of the guys who just plain ole loves to own em, shoot em, clean em and I get a warm fuzzy just holding and looking at them. I'm sure you fellows can relate.

Again, many thanks!
BH
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You would have been kicking yourself for years...
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I have always regretted getting rid of any gun I sold, so now I hang on to them if at all possible :!: :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

You made a good decision, myself, being a man of poor means have had a lot of guns come and go through the years. I would sell or trade for something I thought I just had to have. I come to regret many of those deals, but none more so than a 4" Security Six that had traveled a while with me. I am still looking to replace it some day.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I have a suilly arsed question.

Why don't you just save your money for a while and then buy the Blackhawk and keep the Speed Six? It is mighty tough to have too many good .357 Magnum six-guns.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

True Blackhawk .357 4 5/8" Flattops (not just a 3-screw that looks like it has a flat top, but has sight ears) are getting pretty hard to come by nowadays - and usually bring a pretty penny, to boot.

IF I ever ran across one, I would buy it in a New York Minute - and worry about all else afterwards.

If you've got a line on one, IMHO, you'd better reel it in before it's gone forever.