Lead for reloading

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Lead for reloading

Post by J Miller »

Psssssst, don't say eBay and reloading in the same sentence. They might get their pink lace panties in a bunch. Say the lead is for fishing sinkers or toy soldiers.

Oh wait, we can't put lead in our water ways and kids aren't supposed to play with lead toys. Oh well ................. :roll:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I guess that's fine if you are willing to pay for it. I've got nearly a half ton stashed and haven't had to pay a dime for any of it.
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

TedH wrote:I guess that's fine if you are willing to pay for it. I've got nearly a half ton stashed and haven't had to pay a dime for any of it.
Some of us have more luck and a better source of supplies than others.
Some of us would love to live in an area with good supplies but don't.
Sooooo, some of us have to buy our supplies where we can.
I hate eBay too, but ...

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

J Miller wrote:Psssssst, don't say eBay and reloading in the same sentence. They might get their pink lace panties in a bunch. Say the lead is for fishing sinkers or toy soldiers.

Oh wait, we can't put lead in our water ways and kids aren't supposed to play with lead toys. Oh well ................. :roll:

Joe
My neighbor has a tire shop & informed me there are no more lead wheel weights now they are made of steel which can't be bent to fit the rim so as one drives one loses them.Modern idiots with HUA!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

J Miller wrote:
TedH wrote:I guess that's fine if you are willing to pay for it. I've got nearly a half ton stashed and haven't had to pay a dime for any of it.
Some of us have more luck and a better source of supplies than others.
Some of us would love to live in an area with good supplies but don't.
Sooooo, some of us have to buy our supplies where we can.
I hate eBay too, but ...

Joe

You're right Joe, I am very fortunate to have had good supplies for such a long time. Hopefully I have enough stashed that when the day comes that my supplys dry up I will have adequate lead to last the rest of my days.
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

scr83jp wrote:
J Miller wrote:Psssssst, don't say eBay and reloading in the same sentence. They might get their pink lace panties in a bunch. Say the lead is for fishing sinkers or toy soldiers.

Joe
My neighbor has a tire shop & informed me there are no more lead wheel weights now they are made of steel which can't be bent to fit the rim so as one drives one loses them.Modern idiots with HUA!
What gets me about these new steel and zink wheel weights is their size. For a given size the non lead ones are much larger. The larger the weight, the more prone to coming off or being knocked off.

Our world as we know it is rapidly coming to an end. In a couple years we will have nothing we can call freedom. I'm glad my parents are dead now. I'd hate to see my fathers expression at what the country he fought for in WW II has come to be.
I was hoping I'd be gone before it got to this point, but I'm not that lucky.

Ted,
When I was in AZ I used to keep my lead supplies to a point I could cast a thousand or so bullets if and when I wanted to. When I moved here, I brought that reserve with me. I still have it as I haven't cast anything in a very long time. A thousand bullets is nothing really.
What worries me is what we are going to shoot when lead is totally banned. It's coming to that. So you guys with very large stashes might find you are sitting on a federal felony due to haz mat law violations.

Maybe I worry too much.

Joe

Joe
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

"Lead, what lead?"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
timkelley
Levergunner 1.0

Post by timkelley »

Jmiller, it is possible to cast bullets from zinc, not fun but possible.
Thanx, Tim Kelley
NRA Life
SFC US Army Ret.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Kelly,

I've heard of that. But stop and think for moment. Lead isn't being phased out because it's harmful, it's a natural element in the ground. It's been in existence since before man walked this earth.
It's being phased out because the anti-hunter wacko environmentalists and anti-gunners know they can cripple us by taking away our bullets. And
there are many many many folks who will just quit shooting if they have to purchase uber expensive alternate bullets.
Look at the cas, IPSK, and other shooting games that depend on many many many lead bullets per match and for practice. Calculate the cost of alternate bullets vs lead bullets, it's more than just an inconvenience. It's prohibitive.

If I were still in AZ and shooting as much as I used to, I'd be hurting really bad right now because of the prices of cast bullets and loading components in general. As it is, I'm barely OK because I just don't shoot as much as I used to.

Joe
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Had a fella in the shop today who had spent $4100 on shooting matches (trap) and shot 63 CASES of ammo... Could you do that without lead?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Get the lead any way you can and stock up. You may not be able to hunt with it in the future, but you will always be able to shoot it. Even if they outlaw plinking or target shooting with lead, I'm gonna continue. There's just some things in life worth dying for and shooting when I want and having the guns I want are two of them.

Spend some time looking for lead. Plumbers, plumbing supply houses, tire shops, recycling yards, auto body shops, contractors who tear down old houses are just a few. Its out there--you gotta look. You can even advertise in the local paper in the "wanted" ads.

Below on the left pile is linotype--in the bucket is 50-50 and pure tin. I mix this with either pure lead or wheel weights to get what I need.-----------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Joe
NOT toy 'soldiers' - how violent! - mercy me! - little cast iron ballet figurines, of course...

...LOTS of 'em... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Them boolits aint lead! Pure Silver!! Hi Ho Silver and away!!! :D

I to will keep on shootin those "Silver" colored bullets even after big brother said it is a no-no. :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Forget that I recently was searching for casting lead sources. It is unfortunate but it is difficult to get scrap lead around here. I had been wondering why and discovered that there was a guy using it to make lead shot for the local trap and skeet range! He uses tons every year and uses about all he can get.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson