Which Marlin?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Which Marlin?

Post by .45colt »

Well... after years of lookin around I'm gonna buy a Marlin 45/70. I can't have both and the standard 1895 22" and the 26" Cowboy sure make sense to Me. I like the features of both.Any experienced input??? Thanks.Jim.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Which Marlin?

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, I have a Davidson's LTD with 1/2 octagonal 1/2 round 24" barrel and I really like it.

Either the standard or the cowboy will be great rifles - what do you intend to do with it primarily? The 20" standard is more handy in the woods if you intend to hunt with it. The cowboy offers a longer sight radius for long range shooting should that be your interest...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a Guide Gun (18 1/2") and a Cowboy @ 26". I sure like my Cowboy, but it's the Stainless Guide Gun (set up with Leupold Scout Scope) that usually gets taken to the woods and thrown in the back seat/banged around. BTW, the scout scope is on a Ashley Outdoors mount and Leupold QRWs.....I've never had to sight in that scope due to removing it and putting it back. Makes it easy to switch back and forth from the Ghost Ring/ViViz set up. It's a kick butt hunter. The Cowboy is a lovely Lady for an afternoon date :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I have the Cowboy model and put a Smith Enterprises Ladder Sight on it. It handles pretty well in the timber when going after the local blacktails and those evil wild piggys. Although it shoots the Leverlution stuff pretty well, I'm working on some handloads that aren't so bloody expensive to shoot.

For me, it was all about the looks. I just like the way that long 26" octagonal barrel looks and handles. The standard 1895 is a nice piece as well, but the Cowboy model just has more appeal to me. I just wish it didn't have that stupid lawyer cross-bolt safety.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

ooooooooooooooooooo...................I'm gonna stir up the coals with this one-------Get an 1886 Winchester-----either a Browning or one of the many Davidson's special editions made by Winchester/Miroko.----They are heavier, more solid and easier to shoot--- better fit and finish---------easier to resell------------and............they feed :D

Come on guys--don't take this personal :D I just had a post on Marlins. :D All kidding aside, if you plan on doing a lot of shooting, the Winchester is the way to go---if your trekking up the sides of 40 degree mountains with only an occasional shot--get the Marlin. Go to their website and educate yourself, then go to a store where they have lots of examples to choose from.--------make a choice-------------------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:ooooooooooooooooooo...................I'm gonna stir up the coals with this one-------Get an 1886 Winchester-----either a Browning or one of the many Davidson's special editions made by Winchester/Miroko.----They are heavier, more solid and easier to shoot--- better fit and finish---------easier to resell------------and............they feed :D

Come on guys--don't take this personal :D I just had a post on Marlins. :D All kidding aside, if you plan on doing a lot of shooting, the Winchester is the way to go---if your trekking up the sides of 40 degree mountains with only an occasional shot--get the Marlin. Go to their website and educate yourself, then go to a store where they have lots of examples to choose from.--------make a choice-------------------------------------Sixgun
I have a USRAC 86EL, and will FTF enough to pee me off and not trust it. It also has a pee poor trigger. Also, there's just not a good way to scope it, if one wanted to. Beautiful gun, tho and after I figger out the fireing pin/spring/FTF thing, I'll be a darn happy camper with it....when it fires, it's very easy to hit with and balances very good.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks for the replies Guys. I am a Winchester Man at heart, and have long since resigned myself to the fact I will never be able to afford a model 86 extra-lite. the ones made in Japan are certainly beautiful but I can't stand the rebounding hammer system. :evil: .Thank You BlaneG for the reminder. I am leaning towards the Cowboy.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have both the 22" and the 26" cowboy and love both. Its a toss up for me what one I would own if I only had one. :D
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Have a 22" one. The forend and grip are alot fatter than the CB the CB also balances better but when walking thru woods am glad i went with 22". Just wish it had a full length tube like the CB
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If the Marlin 1895's are so prone to failures to feed, and other problems, how come they sell so many and are in continuous production? With several versions no less.

How come Browning Winchester has to subcontract to a Japanese company to make buggered up copies of a great design? Copies that have extra parts and features that do cause function problems. And only make limited runs on them to boot.

I think folks that dislike certain guns and swear by others are just prejudiced for one reason or another.

Fords and Chevys, 9mm vs 45 ACP ect ect.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wellll, I was away for a day or so and can't find what stirred You up Joe. but I'm not much with this thing under my fingers :? ....but I'm still prolly going to get a Marlin, unless someone has a Winchester EL-45-70 for $600.00. I don't recall big problems with the Marlin 1895 45-70's but I have only been here for around 8 years. so if anyone has good reason not to buy a Marlin 45-70 please let Me know. Thank's.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

.45colt wrote:Wellll, I was away for a day or so and can't find what stirred You up Joe. but I'm not much with this thing under my fingers :? ....but I'm still prolly going to get a Marlin, unless someone has a Winchester EL-45-70 for $600.00. I don't recall big problems with the Marlin 1895 45-70's but I have only been here for around 8 years. so if anyone has good reason not to buy a Marlin 45-70 please let Me know. Thank's.

Meeeeee, stirred up? Nah ....... just responding to Sixgun's post. He said he was gonna stir up the coals with his comments and nobody took the bait. Just so he wouldn't feel disappointed I posted my 2 bits worth :twisted: .

Personally I've handled both the Winchester and Browning 1886's and found them to die for. I've also lovingly fondled a Marlin 1895 Cowboy and I think when I handed it back to the salesman it had drool on it.

But, I haven't had a chance to examine any of the Brownchester 1886s and really don't care too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The only Marlin 45-70 I care for is the new 1895SBL. I don't mind the Marlin's in smaller calibers offered in the 336 models. In a 45-70 the Miroku or USRAC 1886 EL is the way to go.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

86er, The one thing I don't want to think about is a FTF when I have one of the few opportunities in my short life for success. I could have bought several EL 45-70 Winchester-Microku's for not much more than the Marlin in the last few years.And I have seen more than a few post's about a FTF in the Winchester/in Japan/copy.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

OK, Marlin 1895 SBL it is!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

Wouldn't it be neat in the takedown model with multiple barrels? Is the machining tolerances close enough to make this practicle? I want a trapper, a sporter and a cowboy!!! :D Gotta have a dream.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Sixgun wrote:ooooooooooooooooooo...................I'm gonna stir up the coals with this one-------Get an 1886 Winchester-----either a Browning or one of the many Davidson's special editions made by Winchester/Miroko.----They are heavier, more solid and easier to shoot--- better fit and finish---------easier to resell------------and............they feed ---------------------------Sixgun
Not stirring the pot with me at all. I totally agree with you after buying my Lemon, I mean Marlin that doesn't shoot. Should have stuck with my Winchesters!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I like the 22" 1895SS. It is consistently more accurate than my buddy's 26" Cowboy but that is one example vs another. All the 444 and 45-70 22" Marlins I have had a chance to shoot (7) have been nicely accurate. Feeding has been fine.

I do think it is a matter of personal taste if you have no interest in scoping the rifle.

The 1886s are too shiny for my taste.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...