Any 40-65 recipes?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Any 40-65 recipes?

Post by colo native »

for bpcr 1885------
Don McDowell

Re: Any 40-65 recipes?

Post by Don McDowell »

Starline brass, about any large rifle primer (magnums are a waste of time), 60 grs goex 3f express powder, .030 fiber wad, 405 gr lyman snover bullet cast from 20-1 sized to fit your bore, and lubed with Sagebrush alox. Substitute the lyman snover for the rcbs 400 csa bullet works good also.
Off hand load same thing except the bullet is a lyman 412263 sized at .410
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

Thankx for the bp load, but I am lookin for smokeless loads...
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Buy a Lyman 48th or 49th edition handbook
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

thankx
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I use 24 grains of 5744 behind a 270 gr NEI gc bullet in an original 1886 Winchester. Velocity is 1400. In an original Hi-Wall in 40-82 (about the same) I use 24 grains of 5744 behind a 300 grain NEI bullet that was designed for the .405 Winchester. This load chronos a bit over 1300. Both loads can hit small things out to 300 meters and beyond if the winds not blowing too bad.-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Don McDowell wrote:Starline brass, about any large rifle primer (magnums are a waste of time), 60 grs goex 3f express powder, .030 fiber wad, 405 gr lyman snover bullet cast from 20-1 sized to fit your bore, and lubed with Sagebrush alox. Substitute the lyman snover for the rcbs 400 csa bullet works good also.
Off hand load same thing except the bullet is a lyman 412263 sized at .410
Don, what length barrel have you used this load in? I'm building up a .40-65 with 34" barrel, and wonder if it might be too much length for most BP loads? I really want the longer sight radius, but I can trim it shorter if it's too much length for most BP loads?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Val we're shooting it in a 29 inch green mtn barreled rolling block.
34 inches is alright I suppose, but I like to keep the barrel length between 28 and 32 inches.

Both the snover and the rcbs carry a fair bit of lube, but if one got to having troubles with hard fouling towards the muzzle it wouldn't be any big deal to use a grease cookie sammich :D
What rifle are you building?
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

I'm with Sixgun on using 5744, great accuracy and consistency, although I have dropped back to 22 grs, and am now working up a load using a 315 gr bullet in my leverguns. What Don said about matching bullet diameter to bore is as important as what powder you use in my opinion. 4198 is a pretty decent choice as well.
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Don McDowell wrote:Val we're shooting it in a 29 inch green mtn barreled rolling block.
34 inches is alright I suppose, but I like to keep the barrel length between 28 and 32 inches.

Both the snover and the rcbs carry a fair bit of lube, but if one got to having troubles with hard fouling towards the muzzle it wouldn't be any big deal to use a grease cookie sammich :D
What rifle are you building?
Don,
I came across a original #1 Rem. Rolling Block action that had been converted to rotary extractor. Nothing beyond the complete action, so I'm building it up from there with new GM barrel and a set of semi inletted stocks from Dave Crossno, plus a Lee Shaver soule sight.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

This one was built off of one of those Dane rollers that came in a few years back.
I really like Shavers spirit level front sight. Have one on Carols roller, and just put one on Ol Butt Ugly.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Haven't tried one of Lee's front sights. The soule sight is the best darn sight for the money I've seen! No slop, and nicely finished, with good markings. Much better than the cheap junk, and barely much higher in cost. Under $200 shipped for the longrange soule.