Reloading question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Reloading question

Post by 66GTO »

My question is: Does humidity while reloading have any effect on the reloads?

I was going to reload a couple of hundred rounds of .357 but it started raining before daybreak. I reload in my garage and decided to wait until this cold front clears out the humidity. I am probably being overly cautious because the typical summer day here in Florida is more humid than a rainy winter day.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Hobie

Re: Reloading question

Post by Hobie »

Not if you do them all the same and keep the ammo out of the rain... Honestly, I don't pay attention to that. The way I load all the cartridge case prep is done prior to actual loading. Then the charge is weighed poured and bullet seated before moving on to the next powder charge. The powder is minimally exposed to humidity such that it could "soak up" water from the air or dry out in dry air. I think it is a non issue. More important is if you are storing your powder in a room with large temperature swings.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I also load in my garage, I hope some day to have a dedicated area. I've never seen a problem caused by humidity that I'm aware of. Powder is some amazing stuff, keeps just about forever and really doesn't seem to be affected by much. With that said, you should still take care with powder and primer storage.
Ricky

DWWC
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Thanks to both of you for relieving my concerns.

I don't store my powder or primers in the garage, I keep them inside where the A/C runs about 10 months of the year. I keep my dies inside also so they won't rust from the Florida humidity.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

Powder is manufactured under a tightly controlled moisture free environment and includes processes to remove moisture from the powder. It is sometime coated with a solution to help deter moisture absorbancy - although the coating is never 100%.

Powder is like beef jerky. Once you open the bag it will continue to get heavier as it absorbs moisture.

Each powder has a maximum absorbancy that is the point where it won't take in any more moisture. Powder doesn't shed moisture, so once it takes it in it essentially stays there.

A given amount of fresh powder will weigh a certain amount. Months or years later the same volumetric amount can weigh more if it was allowed to take on moisture and especially if it reached its maximum absorbancy.

Usually there is not enough moisture to effect the performance of the cartridge when loaded. On a mico level the load is slightly different and will therefore have different characteristics, like burn rate and combustion, but not really enough to measure the difference unless you are dealing with a cartridge with a lot of powder like a 500NE.

Our powder room is temperature regulated to stay between 70 degrees and 75 degrees. There are dehumidifiers running constantly to keep the humidity as less than 40%. We also use calcium chloride pellets near all the powder canisters.

For the home handloader this should not be a major concern but it is something to consider if you will keep canned powder around for a long time or if you are loading for the utmost precision.
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Thanks Mike. Nothing like advice from an expert.