Opinion on Chiapaa Spencer rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Opinion on Chiapaa Spencer rifles

Post by barbarossa »

Are the Chiappa Spencer replicas any good quality wise?There is a new Chiappa Spencer on sale at a local gun store and was wondering if they were worth buying or are they full of problems.This one is in 45colt
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Opinion on Chiapaa Spencer rifles

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have had two, both in .56-50. Just not interested in any other chambering. They ran just dandy.
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

I wasn't aware they were made in other chamberings. That's pretty cool. I've always thought they were an interesting gun. An interesting fact is that John Johnson used one in place of his hawken after he returned to the mountains after the civil war. Quite an interesting account in the book Crow Killer by Thorp.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I am not sure there is a handsomer lever gun than the Spencer. Starline brass and the bullets from a Lodgewood mold.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

it might be worth checking out Cas city forums where they have a spencer forum and threads on issues and how to address them. I decided against it. Sometimes they just need tinkering, sometimes its over size chambers, barrels not straight,feeding issues, warranty claim issues. Very attractive guns but worth a read to make your own mind up https://www.cascity.com
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Ya that’s my worry ,I wouldn t want to buy a gun that right from the start you had problems with especially with the wait times for needed parts and warranty work these days.I liked it better in the old days when if you bought a defective gun you just took it back to where you bought it and they gave you a new one or refunded your money instead of pawning you off on the manufacturer for warranty work that could take months to get properly fixed
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mine is in .44 Russian. It is extremely well made and a hoot to shoot.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I had this one on loan for review from Taylors. It was very nice. At first I was having a little trouble with the first and last round being a little sticky to get in to battery but finally figured it out.

https://youtu.be/LltvTej7ib0?si=OVyD3HdowDR_uHb2