are Rossis getting better?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

are Rossis getting better?

Post by FLINT »

Maybe this has been discussed in the last year, but if so I missed it.

I'm seeing a lot of recent videos that are making new Rossi R92s look pretty good. Can anyone confirm that they may be improving - not suggesting that they were ever terrible - or maybe they were.

Thanks
JimT
Shootist

Re: are Rossis getting better?

Post by JimT »

I never had a terrible one. I have heard stories but have never personally witnessed one.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Didn’t Steve consult with them when they retooled?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun's quietly been tradin' in all his vintage Winchesters and Ballards for Rossi's, so they have been hard to find, but there's a few he hasn't bought up yet.
Once he starts sellin' em off the market should open up. :D

We have had bunches in our family and friends circle, mostly 2010's production, and all have been pretty decent looking fit and finish wise, and functioned well. One (a 454 Casull) had an oversized chamber, but if I recall, warranty repair only took a couple weeks.

NONE had the smooth action or patina or 'character' of a real vintage levergun, but we mostly were wanting 'shooters' or even 'truck guns' so that's a different category. Kind of like an SKS versus a Garand.

I've seen comments on other forums that the recent ones are better though, usually alluding to 'fit and finish', but sometimes that they 'feed 38 Special better' or something like that. Mine have fed pretty much everything, including 38 specials feeding through the 357s, 44 specials feeding through the 44 mags, and 45 Colt feeding through the 454 casull.

Maybe I've just been lucky.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have looked at a few in the last six months. way better fit and finish, worked the lever as well and seemed pretty smooth. The local farm store has them for around $700.00, sometimes with a $75.00 of coupon.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'd like to handle a current production Rossi side by side with the new GForce Huckleberry steel version. The Huckleberry is just a bit lower in price.
I ordered one maybe 30 years ago in .44-40 when Interarms of Virginia was importing the Rossi brand. The gunshop owner in Medford and I were astonished to find the barrel unrifled. It was very promptly replaced. Only issue I ever had, but I have never run one long and hard.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:44 am I'd like to handle a current production Rossi side by side with the new GForce Huckleberry steel version. The Huckleberry is just a bit lower in price.
I ordered one maybe 30 years ago in .44-40 when Interarms of Virginia was importing the Rossi brand. The gunshop owner in Medford and I were astonished to find the barrel unrifled. It was very promptly replaced. Only issue I ever had, but I have never run one long and hard.
That would have been an interesting ‘garden gun’…
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doc, one of the other customers in the shop at the time said he was tempted to buy it as a collector's item. :lol:
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Had a Ruger MKI 5" bull barrel 22 come from the factory unrifled. Wondered why I couldn't hit anything with it. Wish I would have kept it, but could only afford one at the time.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've owned three R92s over the years, two 45 Colts and a 16" 357 made right after Taurus bought them out. The only one that didn't require deburring/corrective tinkering was the 16" 45 Colt, which came with a StevesGunz CD and was already slicked up. I basically consider them an 80% kit with a serial number, at full price.

I haven't tried a really recent one, but reading user reviews of new ones around the web (Rossi Rifleman, etc) is not encouraging. I've sworn off R92s, at least until I buy another :lol:
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They have “been better” for some time judging by the couple I own.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:00 am .
Sixgun's quietly been tradin' in all his vintage Winchesters and Ballards for Rossi's, so they have been hard to find, but there's a few he hasn't bought up yet.
Once he starts sellin' em off the market should open up. :D
Doc,

One 1886 Winchester would equal a years worth of production from Rossi. 🤪

I would never send my money to an overseas company that won’t let it’s own citizens own guns in the free way we have it.

I don’t have any Ballards and I sure as heck wouldn’t give 3 cents for any Rossi made……same goes for Italian guns and especially the functional, but poorly crafted junk from Turkey…..one way or another money sent to Turkey will wind up in Hamas Land…….

Why?…….when there’s choices right here in the good ole U.S. of A. Besides, there’s no decent return in investment on foreign junk.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Every time this comes up I read up on Rossi and the 454 Casull, I think that it sounds like a great carbine hunting round. Finally I have to stretch, walk over to the stainless guide gun, says 45 on it, and I re-realize that I am all set in that category, again :!: :lol: I save lots of money failing to improve on the 45/70 ! ! !

regards,
grizz
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Well, I've been thinking about a 357 carbine for a while, and would prefer a 16" barrel for sure. I was looking at the 16" henry's but they seem to be non-existant. They pop up on gunbroker sometime, but they go for $1200 - $1500. The new marlins are at least $1200 and don't come with a 16" barrel. Also the Henry's have a 14" LOP which might be great for a shotgun, but I think is way too long on a levergun. So, the rossis appeal to me because they are almost half the price of the henry, nice short LOP, and come in stainless which is a bonus. I'm for sure all about american guns, but I can't buy what they don't make.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Going back 4 decades, I have owned many Rossi's -- and never had a bad one.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FLINT wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:54 pm Well, I've been thinking about a 357 carbine for a while, and would prefer a 16" barrel for sure. I was looking at the 16" henry's but they seem to be non-existant. They pop up on gunbroker sometime, but they go for $1200 - $1500. The new marlins are at least $1200 and don't come with a 16" barrel. Also the Henry's have a 14" LOP which might be great for a shotgun, but I think is way too long on a levergun. So, the rossis appeal to me because they are almost half the price of the henry, nice short LOP, and come in stainless which is a bonus. I'm for sure all about american guns, but I can't buy what they don't make.
My new Marlin 1894 in 357 Mag is 16" I'm pretty sure, and I thought my old (2010 and 1980) ones were too.

https://stockmarlinarms.com/marlin-1894 ... ion-rifle/

...but I don't see it on Marlin's website any more... :|

...and I guess the older ones were 18" - they seemed so small and handy versus the 20" 44 Mags though...!

https://www.guns.com/news/review/marline-1894c

You might find an 1894 CST on Gunbroker or ArmsAmerica or some place like that.

I can't think of a better all-around gun for all ages, all sizes, and 90% of applications (plinking, small game, medium game, and protection) than a 16" 357 Mag levergun. For larger frame or experienced shooters, a 44 Mag or 45 Colt in a shorty is also nice.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

FLINT wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:54 pm Well, I've been thinking about a 357 carbine for a while, and would prefer a 16" barrel for sure. I was looking at the 16" henry's but they seem to be non-existant. They pop up on gunbroker sometime, but they go for $1200 - $1500. The new marlins are at least $1200 and don't come with a 16" barrel. Also the Henry's have a 14" LOP which might be great for a shotgun, but I think is way too long on a levergun. So, the rossis appeal to me because they are almost half the price of the henry, nice short LOP, and come in stainless which is a bonus. I'm for sure all about american guns, but I can't buy what they don't make.
4_Ranger with the 94AE 16 inch 357.jpeg
Ranger keeping a sharp look-out. I enjoy shooting this one. Seems to find targets at a hundred yards OK. I wouldn't trade it for a Rossi or a Henry. I put a green front sight but not sure I like it. Maybe a gold bead with a peeper ? IDK

If you find one I recommend it, even though it has a rebounding hammer and a tang "safety", they've never bothered me. Or stopped the gun from going bang...

grizz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:12 pm
My new Marlin 1894 in 357 Mag is 16" I'm pretty sure, and I thought my old (2010 and 1980) ones were too.

https://stockmarlinarms.com/marlin-1894 ... ion-rifle/

...but I don't see it on Marlin's website any more... :|

...and I guess the older ones were 18" - they seemed so small and handy versus the 20" 44 Mags though...!

You might find an 1894 CST on Gunbroker or ArmsAmerica or some place like that.

I can't think of a better all-around gun for all ages, all sizes, and 90% of applications (plinking, small game, medium game, and protection) than a 16" 357 Mag levergun. For larger frame or experienced shooters, a 44 Mag or 45 Colt in a shorty is also nice.

I think the new (and old) marlin 357s have/had an 18" barrel.

Not sure what that website you posted is, but it's not for current marlins. The first time I clicked in it my phone asked me if I wanted to translate from russian :o :shock:
hopefully that's not a phony scam site.
Grizz wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:38 pm
4_Ranger with the 94AE 16 inch 357.jpeg
Ranger keeping a sharp look-out. I enjoy shooting this one. Seems to find targets at a hundred yards OK. I wouldn't trade it for a Rossi or a Henry. I put a green front sight but not sure I like it. Maybe a gold bead with a peeper ? IDK

If you find one I recommend it, even though it has a rebounding hammer and a tang "safety", they've never bothered me. Or stopped the gun from going bang...

grizz
That's a cool rifle! I've heard the '94s could be hit or miss with the pistol cartridges. glad you got a good one!
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Ive had 5.
First one 357 Stainless 24" oct barrel, amadeo rossi stamp no safety which apparently was pretty rare config for non-safety, circa 2000 used I think, looked nice ran everything
2019, 357 blued, sharp load gate, burr inside mag tube scraping bullets, extractor nicking rims. A bit of smoothing and it became the fastest smoothing running lever gun I owned and ran everythig fro short 38sp t0 357 at lever action speed
Another blued 357, much smoother from the box, otherwise similar
2022 Stainless Rossi 44 mag 20", CBC stamped , nicest gun so far regards fit and finish and wood, smoother load gate, everything nicer. I feel they are the best yet. Feeds everything including short 44 special to 44 mag at western action speed
2022 Stainless Rossi 44 mag 24" barrel, probably no2 for fit and finish, however would not feed 44 specials at speed, first time a Rossi has failed me in that regard so I sold it

O
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Marlin CST's are in fact 16.5" (measured mine yesterday)...

https://marlinusarifles.com/marlin-1894 ... ish-7-rds/

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020139843?pid=855591

...but they aren't anywhere on the Marlin website that I can find...!

This site says $2077.99 for a used one.... :shock:

https://www.guns.com/firearms/rifles/le ... &soldout=1

...I have to wonder if that one actually sold at such a price; nice gun and one of my 'never-sell' guns, but yowza...!!!

.......anyway - back to ROSSI's.........

Various family and friends have 16" ones in 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, and 454 Casull, and they all function well, and feed shorter cartridges (38 Special, 44 Special, and the 454 feeds 45 Colt).

I put Marbles 'Bullseye' rear sights on all my 16" Rossi rifles and Williams FP's on the 20" ones, and Taurus Tang sights on my 24" ones. The 16" Marlin does wear a red-dot though.

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:46 pm Doc,

One 1886 Winchester would equal a years worth of production from Rossi. 🤪

I would never send my money to an overseas company that won’t let it’s own citizens own guns in the free way we have it.

I don’t have any Ballards and I sure as heck wouldn’t give 3 cents for any Rossi made……same goes for Italian guns and especially the functional, but poorly crafted junk from Turkey…..one way or another money sent to Turkey will wind up in Hamas Land…….

Why?…….when there’s choices right here in the good ole U.S. of A. Besides, there’s no decent return in investment on foreign junk.
Sixgun, you do realize that Winchesters aren't made in the US anymore and haven't been made here in a long time, don't you?

You also should realize that the Japs who make your Winchesters now don't have free access to firearms the way we do either.

Could it be you're so biased that you just don't think before you respond?
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

It's nice to get one that's perfect in every way, but I just love taking them apart and cleaning and dressing them up, deburing where needed , changing springs with Wolff springs, touching up the bluing and anything else I find. It kind of makes them mine in a personal kind of way.
Besides, I've got nothing else to do anyway.
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

I have never tried any old ones, but the 38/357 stainless, 16 inch barrel I traded for last year, and the 45 colt/454 casull, I traded for about a month and a half, stainless, 20 inch barrel , were all new when I got them and so far have had no complaints. I fired both factory and my reloads and all worked fine, but have not tried 454 casull yet.
I did replace the rear buckhorn sight, with a peep sight from Steves gunz, and the plastic magazine follower with steel ones from the same sourse. I also replaced the funky safety with pins I got from Steves Gunz.
I did buy the videos from him but so far have not done any work inside. I wanted a so called truck gun, any time gun, not a competition gun, and the ones I have seem to work fine. I will fire for accuracy next time I go to the range. All I can say for now is they hit the target at the 50 yard rifle range I shoot them at.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Sure...... they are getting better every day . The design of JMB is flawless . Rossi couldn't kill it . Sure the Rossi's may need some tweaking. The average guy can make the work 100%.... with a little help from the internet an Nate.
Dave Nowlin
Levergunner

Post by Dave Nowlin »

A few years back I had a Rossi in .45 LC I have some handloads using data from John Linebaugh. I used them in a Colt Anaconda. They aren't far from Cassull level. They will penetrate 12 inches of seasoned oak. This load using a 325 grain LBT design hard cast bullet wouldn't function through the action but could be single loaded and fired with no problem. The other day in my local gun shop another .45 LC Rossi in stainless caught my eye. It had been traded in but is practically new. The wood to metal fit was much better than the last one and the wood finish is darker and looks much better. I haven't fired it yet but did cycle one of the LBT loads through the gun and it loaded just fine In a couple of days I will shoot it. I did buy one of Steve's CDs and slicked up the action in the first one. I am sure I will work on this one but it is much smoother than the first. I'm 81 years old and I don't have any prejudices against Brazil or it's people. A good gun is a good gun even if it is made on the moon. I will purchase one of Steve's peeps and followers.
1895gunner
Levergunner

Post by 1895gunner »

I've been testing all of the new Rossi's and have bought a couple of them. Rossi has sent the new R95's as well. Their stainless R95 Laminate, .30-30 is probably the slickest .30-30 action I've ever shot, and the accuracy is very good with great groups.

Their R95 Trapper, .45-70 has been a ton of fun to test. Large loop, threaded barrel and Picatinny rail makes it very usable in many configurations. Again, a very smooth & reliable action.

I tested and bought an R92, stainless 16.5" .45 Colt a couple of years ago. Have put thousands of rounds through it without one fail to load, eject or fire. Very smooth as well. If you are after American black walnut don't bother with these however, I don't let that get in the way of some real work horses.

I've written two reviews that can be found on my website, two more are coming soon on their latest R95's..

1895gunner.com - Home of the 45-70
Hunter | Adventurer | Writer | Conservationist
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the campfire 1895gunner.… :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

I've not owned a Rossi myself, but my buddies have owned a couple. One of them had a chamber so loose, that when firing 357 Magnum, the web would bulge and the brass wouldn't enter the sizing die enough to remove the bulge. If one had a full length sizing die, like the old Lyman hand sizing dies, they could be resized, but the thickness of the shell holder and the slight radius of the interior of the sizing die prevented it. With 38 Special the brass didn't expand so far down and would resize fine.

My buddy contacted Rossi and they said if he shipped the gun back they would repair it. Rossi had the gun right at a year, saying they were waiting on a new barrel from Brazil. They finally just replaced the gun, and the new gun had the same bulge, though it not so bad that the brass wouldn't resize.

He had another Rossi in 357 for a while that didn't have the bulging issue, or at least it was mild enough to not be of concern.

Another friend has a pair of R92s, one in 357 Magnum and one in 45 Colt, and doesn't have any issues, and he is a reloader.
Last edited by LeverGunner on Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

that is one slick looking Rossi 95 I take it, what is your websight, would like to read your reviews
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

just so anyone is interested Steves gunz has walnut stocks for Rossi 92s for about 300 dollars, I may save up and get two sets, one for my 38/357 and the other for my 45 colt/454 casull
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

hey 1895 gunner, how does one go about getting a job testing guns, I not only could do that, but would enjoy that
1895gunner
Levergunner

Post by 1895gunner »

oldebear1950 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:21 pm that is one slick looking Rossi 95 I take it, what is your websight, would like to read your reviews
Howdy, it is 1895gunner.com
1895gunner
Levergunner

Post by 1895gunner »

oldebear1950 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:52 pm hey 1895 gunner, how does one go about getting a job testing guns, I not only could do that, but would enjoy that
I don't get paid anything, I test and write reviews for the love of the sport. I primarily focus on lever guns however any firearm is a potential write up. I test Rossi, Henry, Marlin, Davide Pedersoli, Taylor's & Co., Stoeger and Winchester (Browning). I do tend to have a lot of fun. I hand load for everything I test that is center fire including shotgun.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

1895, I look forward to exploring your site. Wasn't aware Rossi had a .45-70.
I have heard good things about the accuracy of their .30-30.
Mick, have you ever tried to run .44 Russian through any of the Rossi .44s? Wonder if they would feed.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've handled 3-4 R95s in local shops and they are very smooth operating. I don't need a 30-30 but the 45-70 has my attention.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.