Southern Vermont Primitive Biathlon 2024

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Southern Vermont Primitive Biathlon 2024

Post by Old No7 »

It's tough enough to run in snowshoes when you're my vintage...

And it's even tougher when there's NO SNOW on the ground!

As you'll see in these images, the ground was bare (and really muddy in a few spots) for the Southern Vermont Primitive Biathlon that I attended this weekend with my brother and our shooting buddies. If you went 15 miles east or west, there was snow cover on the ground, but this little spot in the valley was bare of any white stuff.

Here's a few images below of my twin brother (in the badger hat) shooting his smoothbore (without a rear sight) and a nice action shot of Steve firing off his flintlock. Finally, there's a few of me in my 20th Maine Master Sergeant uniform. I'm carrying the Confederate D Guard bowie knife and Parker-Hale 1856 Volunteer Rifle (aka a "2 Band Sergeant's Rifle) that I took off the body of the Rebel sniped I killed at Gettsburg. And my dad's 1864 Mansfield & Lamb sword was with me again; that's always a hit with the younger folks who want to see and handle (no "edge" on it) a real Civil War sword.

The Parker-Hale Volunteer rifle was made for the British NRA to encourage target shooting and many of them came into the South through the blockade via Bermuda in exchange for cotton to be used for sniping. The 2-band .451 caliber rifles were more accurate than 3-band .58 Enfields, so much so that in British shooting competitions anyone shooting a .45 caliber 2-band rifle automatically had 10% deducted from their scores.

But I deducted more than that! The Navy Arms replica has a fast 1-in-20" twist, like the originals, and was made to shoot heavy 400 to 500 grain bullets out to 600 yards. I'm trying to find a round ball target load that will group well between 25 and 40 yards -- and obviously, I didn't yet! But it was a fun weekend overall. The Manchester VT Rod & Gun Club put on a great event, and the camaraderie among the shooters was great.

Cheers!

Old No7
2024 (1).jpeg
2024 (2).jpeg
2024 (8).jpeg
2024 (7).jpeg
2024 (6).jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Southern Vermont Primitive Biathlon 2024

Post by Old Savage »

Nice and where is the sword?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:24 pm Nice and where is the sword?
In the images, you can just see the hilt on my left side. :wink:

Old No7
Last edited by Old No7 on Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

As a bit of a history fan reenactment is always interesting to me especially if it includes any type of muzzle loader. Glad y'all had a good time... :mrgreen:

I still feel sad for that "Good Ol' Rebel Sniper" though.... :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good for You!! Big Fun.Glad You Guys had a Good time. :D .
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Darryl, you and Dale make quite a team and look very authentic for your separate eras! The biathlon looks like a blast.
Your Parker Hale is a "Volunteer," no? Years ago -- Val Forgett was still alive -- I had a Parker Hale Whitworth from Navy Arms that came with the two-piece "clamshell" swage that was used in a vise to squeeze a bullet into a hexagon. Bought the recommended platinum-lined nipple for it. I did shoot it out to 300 yards or so, but would have had to add one of the orthoptic sights to get the accuracy it was capable of. I'll bet there is a round ball load of some sort that will work for you -- maybe a very light one?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:16 pm I still feel sad for that "Good Ol' Rebel Sniper" though.... :wink:
See Darryl - I'm not the only one!!!