God lifted the burden for both ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

God lifted the burden for both ...

Post by Bill in Oregon »

A good neighbor three doors down lost his bride, Jennifer, last week to Alzheimer's after a 12-year battle. She was 73. I watched him care for her, take her for walks, push her in her wheelchair in the Texas sunshine when she could no longer ambulate. It was touching because my own Mom died of Alzheimer's at 74 -- also after a 12-year battle, and I watched my Dad provide the same loving, patient and compassionate care despite the toll it took on him.
I have said it before, but in both these cases, the wives didn't know it at the time, but God saw to it that they married their angels. That's how He rolls.
I stopped and visited with Mike yesterday. He is doing better, starting to build a new life, coaching his 4-H kids in archery.
But he had me read this poem that I had been unaware of.

Do not ask me to remember,
Don’t try to make me understand,
Let me rest and know you’re with me,
Kiss my cheek and hold my hand.
I’m confused beyond your concept,
I am sad and sick and lost.
All I know is that I need you
To be with me at all cost.
Do not lose your patience with me,
Do not scold or curse or cry.
I can’t help the way I’m acting,
Can’t be different though I try.
Just remember that I need you,
That the best of me is gone,
Please don’t fail to stand beside me,
Love me ’til my life is done.
– Owen Darnell
JimT
Shootist

Re: God lifted the burden for both ...

Post by JimT »

- wet eyes -

Went through that with my Dad. 10 years.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

When my Aunt who lived next door passed away, her husband had suffered Alzheimer's for a decade, and he passed away a week after she did. We had to take care of their pets and house until my cousin could arrange the sale, so when we went over there, we had to chase one of the cats and it went into their bedroom - a room we'd never had occasion to go into.

I saw a photo of them together as newlyweds some 50 years previous, and the look of youthful hope and vigor in both their eyes.

Of course no way she could know she'd be his 'caregiver' for so long, nor would he have realized it either. But they did well for one another.

I hope our young 'cellphone and internet' and 'sleep with whoever you want because they're on the pill' generations do as well, but I'm not so sure they will...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

Bill, this brought a flood of memories to my mind. I lost my Dad to this horrible disease in 2009 but, God in His infinite Mercy, allowed me and my Dad to have a wonderful visit just about 10 hours before He carried him away! God was very generous as He let me have Dad for 84 years and 2 months. Dad was very lucid that morning and I praise God for that brief visit we had. I don't mind saying I'm typing this through a haze of tears.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:48 am I stopped and visited with Mike yesterday. He is doing better, starting to build a new life, coaching his 4-H kids in archery.
But he had me read this poem that I had been unaware of...
Wonderful thoughts in that poem Bill; thanks to Mike for sharing that, and to you for sharing the story -- wish him well.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A very touching poem, thanks Bill for sharing.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

God bless him, it's an often cruel disease! We took care my mother in law long time before she died from it in 1990.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I had an uncle that had a stroke, his left side was paralyzed from it. I was 8 or 9 when it happened. He survived many more years and I remember saying to myself what a horrible thing to live with.
I've known quite a few people with alzheimers, it's very sad to see and it's very hard on the families.
Best to your neighbor to heal and have the strength to carry on.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:28 pm I had an uncle that had a stroke, his left side was paralyzed from it. I was 8 or 9 when it happened. He survived many more years and I remember saying to myself what a horrible thing to live with.
I've known quite a few people with alzheimers, it's very sad to see and it's very hard on the families.
Best to your neighbor to heal and have the strength to carry on.
people excoriate indigenous cultures for "abandoning" their aged as cruel and wicked. Really? I think there are other appropriate definitions of cruel. I just hope I can still row when it's time to go . . .
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wet eyes here too.

Watched my grandparents go through this awful disease. My children's godfather is caring for his wonderful wife, their godmother, who has been fighting it for almost 2 decades. His patience and kindness is inspirational.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks Bill 🙏
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
MingoKid
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MingoKid »

Love is powerful. Touching story.
MK
I know not what the future holds, but I know who holds the future!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Grizz wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:50 pm I just hope I can still row when it's time to go . . .
Amen to that Grizz.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry