Since Taurus bought Rossi and started making them in the US

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Since Taurus bought Rossi and started making them in the US

Post by JimT »

from what little I've seen the quality seems to have improved. Now I am not bad-mouthing the old ones. For the price they were OK and I did not mind working on them and smoothing them up. In fact I enjoyed it as long as I was doing it for myself. :lol: But the Rossi's built in Georgia USA seem to be pretty nice. The finish, actions, wood quality, wood fit all point to Taurus putting some work into them.

Any of you handled or have any of the new ones made in Georgia? What do you think?
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Since Taurus bought Rossi and started making them in the US

Post by .45colt »

Our local Farm store has three on the rack that are really nice. I looked at one in .45 colt a while ago and it was pretty impressive . I'll have to go back and see where they were made. :D .
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

When did they start making them in the US?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I am not sure when they started making the leverguns in Georgia. They opened the plant in 2019 and have been adding to line ever since.

Recent rifle - note it is made in Georgia
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

And I could be mistaken about all that since Braztech International is an importing company. I was looking at Rossi USA and the markings on the rifles.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I think you corrected yourself correctly. The RossiUSA web site says: "Rossi manufactures its classic rifles in a plant in Sao Leopoldo, Brazil and will continue operations there..."

It doesn't mention their 357 revolvers, though. Perhaps those are made in Georgia?

edit: Nope, this from an NRA site about a year ago: "... until this year, when Rossi announced that its Brazilian-made revolvers were back in a big way."

Many years ago, I ordered a Rossi revolver in 38. What came had a cylinder with the chambers visibly not spaced evenly around the circle. Looking down the barrel, one could see the worst chamber was out of line by about .040 inch. That one went back with no replacement requested.

I do admit the photos of their new 357 look good. It appears they may have a full length ejector.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I would give their revolvers another chance. I haven't heard anything negative about the newest ones. And I have never had an issue with the Rossi 92s.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Went to the Store this morning Jim. Just like in Your picture with the GA address. Last month they had $75.00 off the price. a blued one would have been around $700 with tax.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

.45colt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:27 pm Went to the Store this morning Jim. Just like in Your picture with the GA address. Last month they had $75.00 off the price. a blued one would have been around $700 with tax.
Thanks. That's not a bad price with today's inflated dollars.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

That barrel marking says “Made in Brazil” on the top line
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

44shooter wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:47 pm That barrel marking says “Made in Brazil” on the top line
I could not make that out in the photo on my computer ... but at least we had some interesting conversation.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JimT wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:37 pmI could not make that out in the photo on my computer ... but at least we had some interesting conversation.
Mostly good also!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Early Amadeo Rossi /Garcia Mitchell guns (1970s) are well made. I'm guessing this discussion is toward the model 92.
I have a 22 pump (Winchester hammer gun clone) and coach gun. After nearly 50 years of use, they have never failed, needed repair or malfunctioned.
I hope the newest generation Rossis are the same quality.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

I've been seeing a mixed bag of reports. A good friend posted pics on another platform of a new Rossi 92 in 454 Casull a couple weeks ago. He was very interested and determined to get one of the new 454 but was disappointed to find very poor wood fit. Obviously since he didn't buy it he couldn't speak on function.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I've had several Rossi's over the years and never had a "bad" one. That said, I don't mind working on them and actually look forward to it. My first was a .357 and you can read about it here if you are interested - https://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/rossi.htm
I worked on it until it would feed an empty from the magazine into the chamber. It was the slickest one I've ever had and took me months! It is still running and a good friend in Arizona still has it. I used it CAS for quite a long time.

The one I have now was Paco's and I've written about it on this Forum at times. Our own Nate Kiowa Jones gave me some tips on slicking it up .. which I used. I also used his DVD on the Rossi's and I ordered some things from him ... his aperture sight that replaces the safety .. the metal magazine spring follower .. and a couple other small parts. I have no complaints about any of them.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I bought my first one in early 1986 in .357 and proceeded to slick it up as per the instructions I had been given at my local cowboy action shoot. "Fill the snot out of it with 'machine type lapping compound' and work the action several hundred times". Along with the admonishment to NOT use "hand lapping compound" as it's too coarse and can quickly ruin any metal to metal fitment. Firmly against all of Nate Kiowa Jones' recommendations years later! I cleaned it up and then polished all the mating surfaces of the bolt and locking lugs. I followed that by buying my son one in late 1988 and proceeded to simply stone the internals and polish all mating surfaces, forgoing the valve grinding compound, having learned from the mistakes of others how lucky I got the first time around. Around 2004 I bought him another in .45 Colt and again, polished and generally smoothed the internals for a fairly light, smooth action. All 3 had a few coils removed from the ejector spring in the course of their initial "slicking up", and, although the .45 Colt is the tightest of the 3, they're all sweet shooters. My wife & son used that initial mdl 92 and later his very own for around 10 or so years of cowboy action. Both of them won matches with them as attested by my "wall of shame" (being as there's so few of my plaques there)! :o As Jim said, they're a bargain buy, if you're willing to be a little handsy with them! The only real wood to metal fit any of mine have is the toe of the buttplate is a little longer than the stock on the latest one, (a Short Rifle). Easily corrected, but I seem to be the only one that's noticed it... as no one else has ever commented on it. (Maybe my friends are just more polite that I give them credit for)!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I've got to agree with Griff on this.

I bought both a .357 carbine and rifle in 2009, used Steve's parts and followed his video and both mine came out reliable and slick as snot. So good that my neighbor liked them so much he bought a .357 rifle on the condition that he'd buy the parts and I'd do what I did with mine.

I enjoy working on firearms so it was a done deal. Now, some 14 yrs and thousands of rounds later I couldn't be happier with my 2 Rossis. I know that the '92 action is shorter and smoother than the '94's but decades ago I had a 1962 Winchester '94 in 30-30 and in truth I was Not impressed.

The action was sloppy and the trigger was floppy and so down the road it went when I had to thin the herd as the kids took more time and money. I've tried a newer Winchester '92, also in .357 and it wasn't as smooth as either of mine and while it fed .357 fine, .38 Specials were hit and miss as it was OAL sensitive.

No, they aren't as pretty as a fine example of the Winchesters but they are my woods walking pieces and made to be used, not admired on the shelf.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

KWK wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:37 amMany years ago, I ordered a Rossi revolver in 38. What came had a cylinder with the chambers visibly not spaced evenly around the circle. Looking down the barrel, one could see the worst chamber was out of line by about .040 inch. That one went back with no replacement requested.
Whoa, "many years" and a sharper mind ago. That piece of junk was from Taurus. Sorry Rossi!