Smith & Wesson 329PD

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Smith & Wesson 329PD

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I know that this gun has a nasty reputation for being hard to shoot, but is there anyone here who loves the 329?
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Smith & Wesson 329PD

Post by Bearskinner »

The super light S&W’s are made to be carried. They shoot well, but physics takes over under recoil, and their light weight lets you feel the full potential of the cartridge you are firing. Certainly a joy to carry over the same sized stainless steel revolver.
You can always shoot mostly Specials, then carry full power (s&W load) when needed. It’s still only a 44.
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

My all day, every day carry gun for the better part of a decade. Carried as backup while bow hunting elk until a couple of yrs ago until limited mobility curtailed that activity. Light weight, snappy recoil, fiber optic front and v notch rear not conducive to target accuracy. If shot a lot with magnum or near magnum ammo they require more repair maint than steel guns. I had three, still have two here are some pictures.
with one of Rob's orginal sourdough pancakes.
One of problem areas (gas shield)
Top strap under gas shield
This is the best I could do offhand at 25 yds
Also have one of the 2.5" Alaskan Backpackers (haven't shot this one much).
Recoil is a bit "snappier" than I care for as I age.

Paul
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Ever since a grizz encounter, I carry a 4" Mod 29 Stainless in a chest rig loaded with Buffalo Bore
hardcasts when bow hunting or packing elk. A guy at our gun club brought his teenage son to practice with an Alaskan Backpacker using Buffalo Bore .44 ammo. I told him it was a bad idea and that some .44 BB ammo is not for S&W. His son shot it and the hammer went back from recoil and tore completely through the webbing between his thumb and index finger. Those lightweight. 44s are very comfortable to pack but steel ones are more comfortable to shoot. That said...99.9% of the time, you'll just be packing it.
Heck...I hated the lightweight .38 642.
That said...those are nice revolvers.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Yes, I was given one (by a lawyer who still owes me $75,000) and carry it often in the Southwest with snake shot up front and .44 Specials in it. I just changed the rear sight to something I like a lot more than the V that was on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

jkbrea wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:20 am Ever since a grizz encounter, I carry a 4" Mod 29 Stainless in a chest rig loaded with Buffalo Bore
hardcasts when bow hunting or packing elk. A guy at our gun club brought his teenage son to practice with an Alaskan Backpacker using Buffalo Bore .44 ammo. I told him it was a bad idea and that some .44 BB ammo is not for S&W. His son shot it and the hammer went back from recoil and tore completely through the webbing between his thumb and index finger. Those lightweight. 44s are very comfortable to pack but steel ones are more comfortable to shoot. That said...99.9% of the time, you'll just be packing it.
Heck...I hated the lightweight .38 642.
That said...those are nice revolvers.
YEP, switched to a 10mm with a light on it after that and put a light on my WW Co-Pilot when I got back to Anchorage after that trip up the Yukon.
It is not the critic who counts
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

As my one-and-only .44, a 329 would not do. As a specialized, as-light-as-possible .44 for the once-in-a-lifetime shot that may never even come, what other choice is there but the 329?

But I quit hiking in polar bear country a long time ago...
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Pisgah wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:30 pm As my one-and-only .44, a 329 would not do. As a specialized, as-light-as-possible .44 for the once-in-a-lifetime shot that may never even come, what other choice is there but the 329?

But I quit hiking in polar bear country a long time ago...
They have a model 69 that falls in between the 329 and the 29, but I would hate to shoot it with magnums also. I think it may be a 5 shot, though.

JBowen
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I have a .44 Mountain Gun which is pretty handy, but not as light as the 329.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

This is the only thing that keeps me from getting a 329
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:17 pm This is the only thing that keeps me from getting a 329
Nice revolver, Scott. Are those any lighter than a 29? I have never had the opportunity to handle one of those.

JBowen
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Yes they are. Most 629s have a bit of a bull barrel.

Also all of the Mounain guns have round butt grip frames which also cut the weight a bit.( though my friend Ken Hackathorn has a square butt that he had fitted at the factory with a Mountain Gun barrel).
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Mountain Guns are very attractive, similar in profile to other N frames with slim 4" barrels except for the difference in grip frames. I have a blued Mountain Gun in .45 Colt; it's a handy little gun. I put a set of Eagle grips on mine but since a compact revolver wants a compact grip, I cut half an inch off the bottom of the grip. Way better.... Mountain Guns are hard to find; the blued ones even more scarce.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

This is an interesting article on Mountain Guns from The Revolver Guy.

https://revolverguy.com/the-mountain-gun/
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

My uncle has one. I've shot it some, and while it shot ok, it wasn't anything special. Could be me, however, cause it was a kicker. I can shoot my 3 inch round butt 629 better though.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Walt, thanks for the link of the history of the Mountain Gun. They look like they would be quite handy with moderate loads. Save the "Magnums" for
when things get spicy.

JBowen
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I have Mountain Guns in .357, 44 and .45 Colt. I owned one in .45ACP but somebody wanted it a lot more than I did.

I shoot the .357 better than any other revolver, but I still prefer the bigger bores.

I treat the .44 Magnum as a .44 Special they has the capability of handling .44 Magnum ammo.

John Linebaugh was wearing one of these in .44 Magnum every time I visited with him in Cody. John carried it all the time and he was not a very big man.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Scott, you did great accumulating three of them....congratulations!