First knife

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

First knife

Post by Ysabel Kid »

All the recent posts on knives got me thinking about my very first pocket knife. My Dad picked up two of these, identical, during a trip to NYC in the late 60's. One for me and one for my brother. Probably not the most expensive knives out there. :wink: I still have mine, and it has a lot of honest wear. I actually saved my brother's one too (he was going to pitch it decades ago), and gave it to his son a few years back.

How many of you still have your first knife? :D

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: First knife

Post by GunnyMack »

I do !! I even know where it is.
I also have a little executive pocket/pipe knife that was my grandfather's and a Barlow jack knife from my other grandfather.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I do! Boy Scout knife I got when I joined the Cub Scouts about 65 years ago. Sayin the just made me feel old :D
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

That`s really neat. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:31 pm How many of you still have your first knife? :D
I do! (Great post idea Jay.)

I won this when I was eight years old, as the door prize at a National Hunting & Fishing Day event at the local sportsman's club. Everyone wanted it as it was made in Solingen, Germany (by Edge). They would not let me handle or carry it, so my dear mother carried it around for a few hours with more than half the sheath sticking out of her small pocketbook. Needless to say, nobody messed with Mom!

Old No7

Edge Bowie (1) small.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

My first knife was a Japan built skinner style with 4.5 inch blade. Brand name: Monarch. - Sherwood
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sadly my first knife was a real cheapo and didn't survive the treatment it got from me as a small kid and quite a few other early acquisitions fared no better... :oops:
I do however have a small fixed blade knife that my sister brought back from Austria for my brother when I was about two years old, he did a pretty good job on buggering up that one too but as I got older and a little bit wiser I rescued it (hid) from him .... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I can't remember which one was first, it's probably still around here...somewhere. :mrgreen:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mine was a Case pocket knife with yellow scales, probably about age 7, just before being old enough for Cub Scouts.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Nope, I started proving early in life I could break almost anything.
It is not the critic who counts
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

First one was stolen, took 40 years to find this relacement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

First one got completely worn out and thrown away. Second one was a Normark Little Swede folding single blade with Mora stainless steel. Still have it. Still a good knife. My son says eBay prices are a couple hundred bucks. If you can find one. It cost under 15 dollars back back in 1974.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Paladin wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:12 am Nope, I started proving early in life I could break almost anything.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Y2K was like that. I should have bought stock in a hot-glue company!
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

No. It was a Pakistani mini-Bowie about 4" long overall with jigged bone handle scales and a cheap leather sheath that smelled like it had been tanned with urine. I was about 7 at the time and Dad bought one for both my brother and me from a booth at a rodeo. No idea what happened to it, but I don't recall that it was very stabby or slashy. I got a real Cub Scout knife about a year later, it's still around somewhere.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Yup......Not counting a little junker paring knife I found and kept hidden, it was a Cub Scout genuine Barlow. I "sharpened" so much that about 1/3 of the blade was gone by the time I moved on to a big boy knife.
I got the Scout knife for Christmas and the first thing I did was slice my left index finger. I was so scared Mom would take it away so I kept my hand in my pocket until the blood blotch gave it away. Still have the scar. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Mine was a hand me down from my grandfather. A yellow handled three blade stockman knife which had been used a lot and had seen the stone a lot.

In those days you didn’t see stainless steel in a lot of pocket knives and we learned to sharpen our own blades when we were young boys. I think those carbon steel blades were easier to sharpen.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:16 pm I think those carbon steel blades were easier to sharpen.
They are, and carry a better edge too!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Part of the edge on stainless is having the right sharpening equipment. Carbotundum stones sharpen only a few grades of stainless. 420, AUS 8, and the softer ones. The carbides mixed with vanadium and nitrogen are too hard for carborundum or Arkansas soft stones to touch. Diamond to set the edge, crock stick to polish it, and a steel to finish it. 440C can get sharper than you would believe. It is still used for scalpels for that very reason. No other steel has yet been found that is as stain resistant or gets as sharp while holding the edge. It is just next to impossible to sharpen up to its capability without the right tools. Buck made the 110 for a couple of years in 440C, but went to 420 when people complained that it wouldn't get very sharp. They were sharpening the soft steel around the carbides and leaving the carbides dull, but they didn't know that. That gave 440C a bad reputation which it did not deserve. I have a Hofner made knife with 440C, and it is slicey. I can hold a sheet of notebook paper up with one hand, hold the knife with the other. Let it go and move my hand away fast, slice through the paper while it is falling, and have 2 pieces hit the floor. I spent about 5 minutes with a crock stick.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost