Exactly two centuries ago today ..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Exactly two centuries ago today ..

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Stephen Austin announced he would employ ten men as "rangers" to patrol the borders of "Austin's Colony" in Mexican Texas to protect colonists from raids by hostile Indians. The official birthdate of the Texas Rangers isn't until Oct. 17, 1835, but the hardy souls who agreed to take up Austin on his job offer set the precedent.

Austin's Address to Colonists

"Since the commencement of this Colony no labor or expense has been spared on my part towards its organization, benefit and security— And I shall always be ready and willing to risk my health, my property or my life for the common advantage of those who have embarked with me in this enterprise.

As proof of the reality of this declaration I have determined to augment at my own private expense the company of men which was raised by order of the late Governor Trespalacios for the defense of the Colony against hostile Indians. I therefore by these presents give public notice that I will employ ten men in addition to those employed by the Government to act as rangers for the common defense.

The said ten men will form a part of Lieut. Moses Morrison's Company and the whole will be subject to my orders. The wages I will give the said ten men is fifteen Dollars a month payable in property, they finding [it] themselves. Those who wish to be employed will apply without delay. - Stephen F. Austin, August, 1823"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Exactly two centuries ago today ..

Post by jeepnik »

Imagine today a rich man offered to hire armed men to form a company to defend our borders against incursion.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

jeepnik wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:16 pm Imagine today a rich man offered to hire armed men to form a company to defend our borders against incursion.
Imagine an American government called for volunteers to man the border and repel invaders.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Imagine a colony of Mexico calling for brave souls to defend against angry indigenous peoples who got there first --several thousand years before.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

But, who was there before the indigenous people ypu speak of. You know the folks the “native Americans” forced off the land.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

History is fascinating
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:00 pm Imagine a colony of Mexico calling for brave souls to defend against angry indigenous peoples who got there first --several thousand years before.
It's called being conquered. If they want a do-over so be it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV