Close encounters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Close encounters

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Yesterday morning I went out to the truck and realized that I had forgotten something. I turned around and not ten feet away was a skunk 🦨 with tail fully raised. I said “oh ____!” and stood absolutely still. After a minute, he turned and scuttled off.

This is why I don’t use a live trap to get rid of all of the loose cats in the neighborhood.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Close encounters

Post by 2ndovc »

They can be sneaky little guys.

I was out walking the trail around my old place when one was tooling down the trail straight toward me. Yelled at it and it didn't miss a step.
A couple of 9x18s from my E.G. Makarov ended the discussion. I was really happy I didn't have the dogs with me that morning!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

We’ve had one for years now. Quite used to people and pets. I’ve been face to face with it many times. It’s been in my coyote traps a few times. Never has sprayed and waits seemingly patiently to be released.

But, I won’t tempt fate and always use a remote release. Sometimes it’s just sat in the open trap for a bit before wandering off.

Very beneficial critter that keeps many types of insects in balance. Skunks get a bad rap for spraying but won’t unless threatened. They also are wrongly accused of being rabid but that rstrly occurs.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JK622
Levergunner

Post by JK622 »

How'd you like to "encounter" this guy? Taken in southern Armstrong county in the Texas panhandle. They thought they had a poacher operating in the area!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:o That's a big kitty! I'd take a pass on meeting it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Years ago we had a skunk which kept nosing around the farmhouse, stinking the place up. I saw it one evening and decided to serve an eviction notice. My boys had one of those Crosman pellet guns, where the forend acts as the pump-handle, sitting by the back door. I pumped it three times and cut down on my smelly trespasser, from maybe 20 yards. I was aiming at its back haunches.

10-14 year old boys are hard on equipment, including sights. I hit that skunk right behind the right ear, killed it deader than last week's newspaper. There is no good way to dispose of a dead skunk, but I used a heavy fishing pole with a big treble hook to drag it off to the (downwind) treeline.

Any skunk I've seen since is a safe as a baby in its mother's arms.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I was on a 40' extension ladder painting the peak of a gable when all of a sudden the ladder started to bounce. I looked around to see if one of the guys was screwing with me but no one was there. Few minutes later it shook again. This time I looked closer and there was a skunk climbing the ladder!
I dribbled some paint on his head and he beat feet.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I thought for sure it was going to be a Texas sized rattle snake :o

Brad
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I had several skunks burrow in under my front porch 6+ years ago. Used live traps, tarps and canned cat food......trapped them and dispatched them. Not much fun, but was mentored by ADC trapper friends.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I actually prefer the skunk to all these dang housecats running all over the place.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Was at hunting camp and I had a boned out deer in meat bags hanging in a spruce tree. Got up in the night to take a leak and theres a skunk trying to drag a bag of meat away!
I had a drag hook in the truck and I hooked the bag and began a tug of war with the skunk, lol, was 4 feet away from me. It finally figured he was going to lose and just ambled away, no spray, no threats....cheeky bugger!. :D