Steve's Gunz' bolt peep aperture?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Steve's Gunz' bolt peep aperture?

Post by Naphtali »

Finally moved on from sight dithering. I was prepared to order Steve's bolt peep with largest aperture. I've run into a clarity problem. I am unable to verify that I can order with the X-Large (.155-inch) aperture rather than defaulting to smaller "standard" aperture, requiring me to buy X-Large additionally. Getting ahold of him by telephone or email is less than easy. So I will appreciate this information from bolt peep buyers.
Long shot
If X-Large aperture must be bought additionally, anyone who HAS bought Steve's X-Large aperture and is interested in a trade, please PM or email me.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Steve's Gunz' bolt peep aperture?

Post by COSteve »

The largest aperture you can get with Steve's bolt top peep sight is by not screwing in any aperture and leaving it a ghost ring.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

COSteve: I'm confused. While I recognize that most other peep sights have threaded apertures, photographs on his web page for peep sight shows, apparently, a base with vertical female threads and apertures without the usual aperture ring insert threads. This aperture is integral with vertical stem with male threads to join with vertical female threads in base. Several of these one-piece apertures are shown, each with different diameter aperture.

If I describe the sight's aperture diameter adjustment accurately, I revert to my original posting.

If I'm in error, then spending money is my next step.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Just buy it and drill it out until it meets your specs. You can get drill bits down to .035
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:44 am Just buy it and drill it out until it meets your specs. You can get drill bits down to .035
Good idea
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Okay. You neither own one nor have handled one.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:53 am Good idea
Just experience Doc……on some of my finer tang sights I have screw in apertures, and when going away (like I USED to) on a hunt I’d carry several extra depending on light conditions….sunny vs cloudy or woods hunting vs open…..

It don’t take a rocket scientist to figure these things out…just experience.

As I’ve aged I noticed the smaller holes would get spider webs in them…..not real spider webs……in the beginning when I first started noticing it I would blow through the hole thinking it was dust or something. I would incrementally drill until the spider webs went away.

Then, after drilling, you’re left with a bright hole so I’d put a Q tip with cold blue on it. Heat the aperture up a bit and dab on the cold blue.

No, I don’t own one nor have I handled one. Mine are all original Lyman’s or Marbles…..
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Naphtali wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:18 am COSteve: I'm confused. While I recognize that most other peep sights have threaded apertures, photographs on his web page for peep sight shows, apparently, a base with vertical female threads and apertures without the usual aperture ring insert threads. This aperture is integral with vertical stem with male threads to join with vertical female threads in base. Several of these one-piece apertures are shown, each with different diameter aperture.

If I describe the sight's aperture diameter adjustment accurately, I revert to my original posting.

If I'm in error, then spending money is my next step.
The post is adjustable up and down for elevation, hence the threads on it.
Steve's apertures are threaded to screw into the post.
If you don't screw an aperture in, you have a large ghost ring rear sight.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are