Pull-through barrel cleaning tool?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Pull-through barrel cleaning tool?

Post by Naphtali »

I recently bought for Laurie . . . me, too, a Crossman 392 pump air rifle. Pyramid air recommended a pull-through barrel cleaning tool. I bought one. This rather cheap-appearing bunch of plastic plus watching a British World War II movie triggered this obvious question:

While it seems to work on brass barrel that requires virtually no maintenance, for cleaning traditional Winchester/clone lever actions and other non-takedown long arms, does a pull-though cleaning device — a braided cord weight at one end and stop for actual cleaning device — work?

If a pull-through does work, how effectively? Does this replace a barrel brush?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Pull-through barrel cleaning tool?

Post by Grizz »

Naphtali wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:00 am I recently bought for Laurie . . . me, too, a Crossman 392 pump air rifle. Pyramid air recommended a pull-through barrel cleaning tool. I bought one. This rather cheap-appearing bunch of plastic plus watching a British World War II movie triggered this obvious question:

While it seems to work on brass barrel that requires virtually no maintenance, for cleaning traditional Winchester/clone lever actions and other non-takedown long arms, does a pull-though cleaning device — a braided cord weight at one end and stop for actual cleaning device — work?

If a pull-through does work, how effectively? Does this replace a barrel brush?
that's all i ever used during hunting season, which was 7 months of deer availability. a string with a noose in one end dropped thru the action and a folded piece of paper towel pulled up and out.... that was it. there was nothing to brush out, but it assured me that the bore was dry and not ringed. after that i flooded the firearm down the barrel with wd-40 [ GASP! ], leaned it against the stove over night and wiped the excess off in the morning. this in a highly wet salt-water environment . . . still have brite bores . . .

grizz
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I say a rod for cleaning rifle barrels.
The pull through for shotguns I've seen too many times to count break in the bore. Any kind of wear to the pull cord and replace it! When it's in the bore and the cord breaks everyone asks how do I get it out, however you can then use a solid cleaning rod from now on!
Sure they are good for once in a while use but I wouldn't rely on it for heavy use.

Not that I clean my guns that often :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Rumble.com/ hickock45
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Pull through is nice for a touch up. I use those bore snakes if I want a quick wipe. You still need a rod for vigorous cleaning or dislodging mud or a stuck bullet
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

For 94,88,64 and mossberg 340 I use pull thrus. had my GS check the bores and he said they are some of the cleanest he has seen.No build up or rust or pitting and anything elsa.Also most inportant NO wear on barrel at muzzle end from rods. Was a big problem in army basic with poor shooting M-14's. Most had rod wear at the muzzle because no bore guides. That is a must if a rod is used.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Many thanks, guys. I found that several entities online sell a braided cord, color coded for bore size that might be satisfactory, with emphasis on having a rod with muzzle protecting slide for lead build-up. I'm thinking that British infantry in the S.M.L.E. era used these bore cleaning devices because they were adequate in timely quick-and-dirty maintenance, were not inconveniently large, heavy, or unwieldy — and, maybe, because that's what worked with Martini-Enfield rifles that preceded.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

A good quality pull through cleaning device like the Otis or others works extremely well. They incorporate a brass brush inside the cord, plus a swab too, so a few drops of oil occasionally on the swab, and they do a good job of cleaning most bores in one pull through.
I use them when away from home shooting, or hunting, as they're easier to pack than my one piece cleaning rods. If they get too dirty I toss them in my wet tumbler with some water and dishwashing soap for 30 minutes, and then hang them up to air dry, and they're ready to go again. I've used mine for probably 20 years now.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I prefer a rod, but I carry pull through bore snakes in the truck and I use them.

It’s a quick and easy solution especially for guns that are hard to clean from the breach.

I need to clean some of these as my .22 version seems to be pretty clogged up.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I have a brass pull-through from a 1903 Springfield, the cord is still good. I figured if it went bad Id replace it with a coated cable. It has a slot for a patch and is threaded for a bore brush, the same as is commonly available commercially. In a small leather pouch with a few patches, brush and a 30 carbine oil bottle Im OK for basics out in the hills.The entire thing is about 1 1/2" wide, 2 1/2 or 3" tall. and about 1/2" thick.Fits nicely in a shirt pocket with a lot of room to spare.

The USGI metal M-16 cleaning rods are pretty decent when used with a bore guide, I use one quite a bit and keep one in the truck with some brushes and basics and small bottle of cleaner in the green nylon pouch they came in with belt clip and snap end cover.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

The Germans have issued metal pull through bore cleaning tools for many years. I’ve used them with H&K guns for many years with good results.

BUT if you have a bore obstruction of some kind, you need a good one piece rod.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I was taught to clean from the chamber forward if possible. So that’s what I do. One piece rod if I can access the breach. A pull through if not.

I used homemade devices until bore snake came along. That’s what I use now. The exception would be for serious fouling where the bore snake doesn’t cut it, literally
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

jeepnik wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:30 am
I used homemade devices until bore snake came along. That’s what I use now. The exception would be for serious fouling where the bore snake doesn’t cut it, literally
Exactly right
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The HK91/G3 cleaning kits are handy. The chain type pull through is pretty tough, and some of the other odds and ends in the case are useful. I keep some patches and other little bits in it as a backup truck cleaning kit. They are cheap also.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175272036805
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?