Wild West Gun Co-pilot range report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Wild West Gun Co-pilot range report

Post by rjohns94 »

Took my new to me WWG Co-pilot rifle to the range today on the way home from work. Before the range report, a bit about the rifle. Started life as a Marling Guide gun in 45-70. Its been made into a take down, parkerized, action job, WWG oversize lever, kevlar stocks, decelerator pad installed, high vis sights and ghost ring rear, scope mounting rail and leopold scout scope with quick detach rings, ported, and chambered to handle the WWG .457 magnum or 45-70 rounds. This is one slick, light fast handling rilfe. I have wanted one ever since my brother steered me to a link to them and I bought it here on this forum. Poor picture below:

50 yard shooting - started with .457 magnum ammo - factory loads from WWG. 350 Grain bullets,-2200fps, 3760ft-lbs of energy. The leopold scout scope is beautiful and does a perfect job on this rifle. It has a German occular that is easy to line up and shows up very well in low light. I put 4 shots down range, all hitting in and around the center of the target. Group was larger than I would have expected but this rifle, being so light, is a hand full when you touch one of these off. AT 59.00/20 rounds, my $11.80 of ammo was gone in no time. This rifle is going with me to Texas in a couple of weeks and I wanted to save some ammo for those that might want to shoot it and I needed some rounds to hunt with. I had a six o'clock hold on the bottom of the center diamond, so this ammo is shooting just perfect for my hunting needs.

The third group of shots I made was with Levererution ammo. 45-70, 325 grain. A nice group under the upper the left target on this paper. Excellent group but I would have to adjust the sights if I wanted to use this ammo because as you can see, it was several inches low.

The second group I shot was 45-70 ammo, 350grain, factory WWG ammo. This ammo shot very well, again a 6 o'clock hold on the center diamond. A bit low for my liking but an acceptable group.

here is a link to the ammo: http://www.wildwestguns.com/ammunition.html

link to the co-pilot:http://www.wildwestguns.com/copilot.html

Think I am going to get some 405 grain .457 magnum ammo on order and will give that a try.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Re: Wild West Gun Co-pilot range report

Post by RKrodle »

rjohns94, great report and that is one nice rifle. I look forward to seeing it, and you, in Texas.
Ricky

DWWC
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

:mrgreen: I love range reports!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Lovin' those stocks!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

shawn_c992001 wrote:Lovin' those stocks!
They sure look unique and am curious as to what you did to them?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mike -

Great range report. Looks like it is ready for hunting for sure! :D

Did you add a spray-texture to the stocks? Looks like a "stone" spray I have used on the base for my safe. I thought at the time this would make a great stock spray, as it gives a wonderful textured surface for grip.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

The stocks are a gray Kevlar. The pistol grip stock has been made into a straight stock. I believe you can order the stocks from WWG. There is no spray on them, they are solid Kevlar so if the 6 or so .457 magnum rounds don't do the trick, I can beat the critter over the head with them or use it as a paddle down the preverbial creek as he starts to chew my butt! There is a fleck coloring in the stocks but it is part of the composite makeup.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8) When you get a chance you need to post some clearer pictures of that puppy! Be sure to post a "drool warning" though!!! :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I will post some more pics a bit later. I will take them outdoors to show it off. I'm off to the range again to put some 500grain bullets through my Shiloh Sharps Hartford 1874.
Mike Johnson,

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Great rifle Mike! You can save yourself $12 a box by getting the same 350 gr Kodiak bullet at 2200 fps from Mike Rintoul loaded in the standard 45-70 case. He also has the equivalent load in 405 gr, but these are not on the website or catalog, you have to call and ask for them.

See you and the Co-Pilot soon!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Wow, I didn't know SWAT was using levers now! :D Seriously, that could be a serious CQB/breaching rifle.

That is a darned cool-looking rig, even if it is built on an ol' hinge-bellied Marlin. :wink:

Scott
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Very nice, congrats!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice rifle, Mike. You're a lucky man. I've drooled over WWG's takedown conversions for quite some time now.

Can't wait to see your range report when you get her dialed in.
Old Law Dawg
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sure like your taste in Pop Guns!

Looks like fun.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
RonEgg
Levergunner

Post by RonEgg »

Mike, thought I would add a couple pictures for you. The stock finish is called Glacier Kote.

Glad you enjoye it.

Ron
everybody wants to be a cowboy but, nobody wants to ride the range
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

These lever assault rifles are gonna git us all locked up ! (by our wives) :P :P :P
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks Ron. I do indeed enjoy it. I posted some other pics in another post.
Mike Johnson,