"All Quiet on the Western Front" (2022 remake)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

"All Quiet on the Western Front" (2022 remake)

Post by Old No7 »

NetFlix is now showing a remake of the classic German-perspective anti-war story "All Quiet on the Western Front".

I watched it last night and thought the cinematography, sets, uniforms & equipment and scenes were outstanding. The acting was well done too, and if you like history and/or war movies, this one is well worth a watch.

In one review, I read that towards the end of 1918, Germany was losing 20,000 men every week -- and in the movie itself, in a conversation leading up to the Armistice, it's stated that the U.S. was then landing 50,000 troops every month. So the end was near, but not near enough for the main actor...

Old No7

( Click image to enlarge )
All Quiet 01.jpg
All Quiet 02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "All Quiet on the Western Front" (2022 remake)

Post by 2ndovc »

I'll have to sign up for netflix.

Thanks for the info!

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I'll check it out after the World Series is over. My grandfather was at the Western Front, artillery.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I was wondering if I should watch it or not. Thanks for the thumbs up.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

I just watched it on netflix. good movie, how they did the special effects is awesome.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Blaine wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:40 am I was wondering if I should watch it or not. Thanks for the thumbs up.....
Ditto! :D
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

A bit of trivia for you guys...The main character in the book and the first movie, likely the new one too, was named Paul Baumer. The real man was a German fighter pilot during the war and later befriended the author who named the main character after him. I'd mention more about him but it's been quite a while since I've read about him and those books are in storage and hard to get to. Don't remember how many planes he shot down but likely around 40 or so.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I read the book in high school but paid little attention to the author, Erich Maria Remarque. This post got me to thinking about him, about whom I knew nothing until a few minutes ago.
He came by his trench warfare experiences firsthand and survived serious shrapnel wounds to lead a life that was interesting to say the least. And dear God, look what the Nazis did to his younger sister.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_Maria_Remarque
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I watched it, I thought the effects and staging of the trench and action scenes excellent, but I didnt care for the contrived the ending. I realise people were getting killed right up until the armistace was signed, and even some were killed after, but thye just handled it wrong. Plus the stuff with the french farmboy just didnt convince me.
They added to much stuff of their own into it. You cant do that to a story that has stood the test of time.
But you still have to watch it.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Mark in MO
Levergunner

Post by Mark in MO »

I watched it this weekend and enjoyed it. I thought the cinematography was excellent and liked the gritty overall feel the film had. With that said, I felt it strayed pretty far from the original book in some regards.
I also wasn’t a fan of the ending of where soldiers were sent into battle 15 minutes before the cease fire. While I didn’t like that being added it did occur by all sides. The book, “11th Month, 11th Day, 11th Hour” by Joseph E. Persico covers that pretty well.
Overall though I enjoyed the movie.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I watched about 2/3 of this yesterday and agree it's a good movie, hopefully will finish it today between loading in firewood for our "long season" here.
One can pretty much assume it was no different for the Allies across no man's land.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I remember over 40 years ago watching the 1979 production starring Richard Thomas, and thought it an excellent story. This 2022 German Production was a totally different story. That being said I enjoyed both versions. I believe this more recent version really focused more on the horrors of war, especially the new technologies developed to kill more efficiently, and horribly. You get attached to the protagonists, I did anyways because he reminded me of my son, and my father in is youth. It effected he emotionally, so it must have been good. I recommend it.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like a good movie.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I never read the book so I had no preconceived notions. It was pretty good, I thought. I liked the shooting in the trenches. I wished there was more of that.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.