Rossi 92 in 44-40

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Rossi 92 in 44-40

Post by Oldncrusty »

Saw one at a flea market today. My research shows they were made only from 1995 to 1998. Is this correct? It was a blued 20" carbine and appeared mint. Couldn't find any current prices on this version and wondering if they command a premium in this clambering, and if there are any known mechanical/feeding issues. Thanks
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rossi 92 in 44-40

Post by earlmck »

I've had one for twenty years or so -- it claims to be a "Rossi model 65" but it looks like any old Rossi '92 style I ever saw. Shoots pretty decent and hasn't given me any particular feeding problems but I have never used anything but round-flatnosed bullets in it which always feed nicely.

I have never had anybody make me any offers I couldn't refuse when I had it out at the range. So I still own it. If they suddenly become valuable like some of the old Winchesters I could let it go as I don't have any particular emotional attachment to it: I'm a rifle sort of guy, not a carbine sort of guy.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I got one new/old stock on gunbroker about six years ago paid less than $400 including shipping. got the video and springs from Steve's Guns. made a world of difference. I love shooting it with +p loads. the last one I saw this spring was over $700 . just crazy like everything else today.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Thanks a bunch folks for the info.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I had one I would swear was significantly earlier but cannot corroborate. It was a fabulous piece, an SRC that was pretty smooth out of the box, smoother yet with some levering watching TV in the evening.. No feeding issues (actually quite the opposite). Like most over-the-counter .44-40,, POA at 100/110, dropped like a rock (comparatively) beyond :) but that's beyond the fixed sights and my eyes anyway so a non issue. I would double check those dates, sounds off to me. By then, the 5 or so (?) years prior to the approximate '00 Interarms change-over to LSI (Legacy Sports Int'l), many examples were of the near-black mystery stain, increasing % spotty fit and finish quality, and vastly decreasing % of saddle rings, as I believe they were really cranking them out with the increased demand of CAS.. Mine was just the opposite, pretty decent and serviceable (if unremarkable wow-factor) stock very typical of the '80s/early 90s Rossis, and with saddle ring which was quite common at the time of my purchase.

Among the about 10 Rossi 92s I've had--all pre-safety save one--it was my only 44-40.. but it was very charming and a hoot to shoot... and I loved/appreciated the correct historic 92 legacy, the only Rossi chambering such. I sold it in a low cash period, but is one that I would like back. Btw, the odd "65" moniker seemed to be inconsistently applied. Have seen otherwise identical guns in the same era labeled 92 and the other 65--again zero difference otherwise.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Mine is a stainless steel SRC without the safety. I bought mine NIB probably 20 yrs ago or so and will have to check the sales receipt to verify the exact date. It's has an amazingly smooth action.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

They made them in .44-40 right up until the factory shut down for the new rebuild a couple of years ago as far as I know, at least you could buy them new over here till then. Then they stopped and it was just .44 mag and .357 all in stainless.

I bought two brand new in around 2005 and 2006, a blued rifle and a carbine. (But I havnt seen one with a saddle ring since the '90's.) Our first Rossi in .44-40 had a saddle ring, and a puma head on it, and was from the late 1970's.

None of them had safeties unless they were imported from the USA.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Mine is a Pre-safety model, had if for around 25 years. Had an action job done right away, and have never had a lick of trouble with it. It's a carbine, without the saddle ring, eastern carbine I think they are called? Maybe thats just in the 94's. My Rossi 92 carbine in 357 has the saddle ring, and is also a pre-safety model.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Thanks again y'all. Good info there..