Looking for a barrel for a Rossi .357 levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Looking for a barrel for a Rossi .357 levergun

Post by JimT »

Got a project I am working on and need a .357 barrel for a Rossi 92 ... if you have one or know of one, please PM me. \
THANKS!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Looking for a barrel for a Rossi .357 levergun

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun says to just use a rusty chunk of half-inch conduit.... :o :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My .357 magnum barrel was made by Douglas.
I bet they can make one for your Rossi.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Might check with Nate "Kiowa" Jones on here
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:34 pm .
Sixgun says to just use a rusty chunk of half-inch conduit.... :o :lol:
For a smart guy you make bad decisions...why would you waste a good piece of rusty conduit on a Rossi when there's millions of tomato plants that are crying out for something to hold them up. (Sorry Jim, nothing personal :D )

I'm sure there's something at the bottom of the government building in Ukraine that would suffice.

I think Jim set us up on this post....
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You could check with Shilen in Ennis. They might even let you watch them make it. Could be a fun day trip for you.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Putting a Shilen or a Douglas barrel on a Rossi is like putting a suit on a monkey

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Six wrote: " Putting a Shilen or a Douglas barrel on a Rossi is like putting a suit on a monkey ". :lol: ... no way ,if you would have watched puppet man last night You would have seen ALL The Monkey's in one place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

.45colt wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:43 am Six wrote: " Putting a Shilen or a Douglas barrel on a Rossi is like putting a suit on a monkey ". :lol: ... no way ,if you would have watched puppet man last night You would have seen ALL The Monkey's in one place.
Yea! :D How about this one rubbing her hands together up and down like some kind of creature from outer space.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I tell ya....I've never wanted to punch someone in the face more than that nut. If I ever had the chance I'd spit in her face right along with HRC. For some reason I don't hate AOC or her squad as they really do believe in what they are doing but HRC and Pelosi are outright liars.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

JimT, our apologies :shock: :? for 6gun, he spends too much time alone by himself in his kingdom there. Gets delusional, forgets his manners at times, and just gets himself sideways over the whole Rossi thing. :wink:

I suspect he secretly gets a case of the quivers when he thinks of having his very own Rossi.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Apologies are not needed. I have known Jack for a long time. And I know he appreciates when someone takes a gun that functions and makes it into something that actually works well, even though it should have been made that way in the first place.

And I still need a barrel .................. :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

JimT wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:41 am Apologies are not needed. I have known Jack for a long time. And I know he appreciates when someone takes a gun that functions and makes it into something that actually works well, even though it should have been made that way in the first place.

And I still need a barrel .................. :lol:
Thanks Jim.....whew! I get very emotional when it comes to Nationalism and the "Greatness of the U.S. of A.".

My apologies for interrupting your thread. Don't mind "Mr.Busy Body" ...he's from California and protects the ones he voted for. :D ----000000006 and 2/3rds.

mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Jim T, what is your project, curious minds want to know. :) I am looking to rebarrel one of my 357 rossis with a 24" round 1:16 twist barrel myself. Looking to run both heavy (180-200grain) at subsonic and also fullhouse levels
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have a Rossi 357 that has a 24 inch octagon barrel and it is the most unwieldy d...m thing. A 357 gets most of its velocity and power in much shorter barrel length and I want to put a lighter barrel on it and shorten it to 16" length. Since I do most of my gun work with handguns I do not like a gun that feels like it's halfway to the 50 yard target before you even pull the trigger.

Now I understand some riflemen like the muzzle-heavy feel of a longer barrel. Every dog has to scratch his own fleas as Elmer used to say. If a person likes that, that is what they should use. So I am looking for a standard round barrel. I can have the octagon barrel turned down and may end up doing that. For now I may just cut it off and use the gun with a short heavy octagon barrel instead of a long heavy octagon barrel. We shall see.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

JimT wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:30 am For now I may just cut it off and use the gun with a short heavy octagon barrel instead of a long heavy octagon barrel. We shall see.
That's what I would do. I'll bet you will like the feel of a 16 inch gun like that.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

We have a Rossi .357 short rifle 20" barrel and that is a serious chunk of steel . and heavy. but a shooter. Could You have your barrel shortened and maybe turned half round?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ballistics for a 357 tend to peak at about 16” according to Ballistics by the Inch. I have the round barrel Trapper that shoots fine seems very accurate.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

.45colt wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:07 am We have a Rossi .357 short rifle 20" barrel and that is a serious chunk of steel . and heavy. but a shooter. Could You have your barrel shortened and maybe turned half round?
Yes .. or I could have the whole barrel turned.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:24 am Ballistics for a 357 tend to peak at about 16” according to Ballistics by the Inch.
Yessir. That has been my experience. Some loads in Contender handguns are right at the top velocity. I have seen 22" and 24" barrels shoot slower than the short barrels. It is noticeable in .22 Long Rifles.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Jim I feel the same way about the 24" octagonals in 357, my first rossi was one such as was too muzzle heavy. Not for targets, plinking etc but just too unweildy on the move for what I needed it for. I looked at getting mine turned down half round/half octagonal at one point but just ended up selling it. I found 24" got more velocity with top end handloads btw. The ballistics by the inch guys are only testing factory ammo, usually loaded with '14-18 grains of something'. I found my 20" barrel couldnt keep up with the heavier handloads in the 24
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I understand!
I have Nate Kiowa Jones' video ... I have done a little work on Rossi's in the past ... I am gonna go through the video and use his recommendations on slicking them up, though this one ain't bad. I will post some photos of what I do to the rifle later on.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I understand. I have a full length 45 Rossi and it seems unwieldy to me although it points and holds very well. I imagine the 36 bore is that much worse. I’ve thought of shortening it but I have a standard Marlin 44 so I haven’t. If I get a 357 I want a 16 or 18 1/2 inch for a utility(be there) gun.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sarge wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:36 pm Here's a 20" barrel, Jim.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165361005772?h ... SwW6piHYRz
Thanks. I will keep an eye on it. I think the threads are different .. but it could still work ...
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Shy of something like a Douglas or other custom rebarrel, I would just shorten it to 20 in, reuse the mag tube hanger/ferule, then you have a bonafide short rifle. Yeah, I know that 4in difference might not amount to enough weight loss for your objectives, except for psychologically haha! As far as I know Rossi never made any round Barrel 24 inchers or round short rifles. Could be wrong about that. Not sure how a carbine or trapper round barrel would do with the taper relative to the rifle forewood?... In any event, I say to do this and not the 16in because to me with that shorter length the forewood then looks too long proportionally to the remaining metal. But that may not concern. Do with the barrel contour what you like, regarding turning or half rounding at some juncture, but that's my two cents on the length... or just get a Trapper. Regarding the 24-inch octagonal, I had that in a 44 Mag Rossi, pre safety, which was a gorgeous thing... The many derogatory comments about Rossis notwithstanding (b t w, all of my pre safeties have actually been kind of nice) it really was a nice piece, wood and all. But even being in the bigger bore you felt like you needed to have some training wheels on the front end to haul it around! (not unique to the Rossi, the original Winchesters were the same way!) It is no longer with me, in favor of strictly 20" carbines and 16" Trappers, though I kind of regret that I didn't keep it at least for something nice over the fireplace or an occasional stint in a tree stand. Being a pre safety/pre.re-tool (ie, Interarms or early EMF, I forget) it also had a much better shaped receiver (before they genericized the lines) so it really did look like an original 92.