How to square the XS sight?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

How to square the XS sight?

Post by Naphtali »

Looking at the graphic of mounted XS sight, I have a question that the web site does not answer.

The XS sight's vertical adjustment appears to be via turning the threaded aperture 180 degrees [in either direction]. How do you make sure that aperture is perpendicular to front sight? Unless there is some sort of detent or other type of stop, aligning the aperture for complete view through it becomes very difficult.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I've had a AO/XSon my 94AE Trapper for a couple years and I love it. To adjust the rear sight you basically just "eye-ball" it to square it up and it works out fine the human eye is pretty accurate.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Apparently, the only way to lock vertical adjustment on XS's ghost ring is via LocTite or other fixent -- not even locking screws?

Is there any top-receiver-mounting adjustable aperture sight that incorporates precise indexing of vertical adjustments? OR is anyone aware of a gunsmith who offers alteration of XS sight assembly to incorporate a spring-loaded ball detent [with corresponding seats along the vertical thread]?
The thread that triggered my query is "Peep/Ghost Ring Sights for Puma 357?." In my search for a Puma M92 stainless in .480 Ruger, I got a little sidetracked to a M71 and M1886. Their basic sight problem is identical with the M92 that began the thread. So if there is a solution to my question, it solves all of them.
I strongly dislike the esthetics of side-receiver-mounted aperture sights, such as Lyman 66, Williams, etc. The Williams sight that accompanied the M71 will be replaced immediately if we arrive at a satisfactory replacement.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

It does have set screws to lock in the vertical adjustment :D
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Naphtali wrote:Apparently, the only way to lock vertical adjustment on XS's ghost ring is via LocTite or other fixent -- not even locking screws?
I don't own one but I'm pretty sure the windage screws "sandwich" the elevation
adjustment to lock it in place.

http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

The windage screws hold the aperture post in place. Alignment is as Ganjiro said, by eye.

http://www.xssights.com/faqs.html#faq9

FAQ #9

Q: How do I adjust my Ghost Ring Aperture sight up/down/right/left?

A: To sight in your Ghost Ring Aperture sight you should know the following.

The stem of the aperture is threaded and by turning the aperture ½ revolution you will move point of impact approximately 1 inch at 100 yards.
The windage screws will shift point of impact approximately 1 inch at 100 yards per ¼ revolution.
ELEVATION EXAMPLE: At 100 yards and the bullet impact is 4 inches low. Loosen one of the windage screws a full turn to allow the aperture to then be turned 4 half turns up (counter-clockwise). Then re-tighten the same windage screw. Remember you always move the rear sight in the same direction you wish the bullet impact to go. This will put you within a ½ inch of the desired point of impact.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

O' course, you kin always beam yore laser down the barrel towards the front sight, through the peep, from the top of the buttplate. :roll:
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

I thank you all for your time and replies. I have identified a kludge that allows me to square the aperture mechanically.