marlin closing?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
donw
Levergunner 3.0

marlin closing?

Post by donw »

got a "fwd" from a friend it said Georg Soros bought out marlin and is closing it down...

anyone hear anything about it?
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: marlin closing?

Post by AJMD429 »

All I heard was that Remington bought it, and I think there are a bunch of other gun-makers in the consolidated group (Bushmaster, too, I think).

Wouldn't be surprised if Soros bought them, but even if he 'closed their doors', someone else would quickly fill the niche - too much money to be made with today's high rate of gun-consumerism, especially in the U.S. - so many firearms designs have had their patents expire that pretty much anyone could start making them if significant numbers of manufacturers were 'shut down'. In fact, that might pave the way for even more innovation... :D

Here's what the NRA had to say on the topic when it first surfaced:
The [b]NRA[/b] wrote:
Rumor Control: The Truth About Cerberus/Freedom Group
FRIDAY, JULY 20, 2012

An old rumor has once again resurfaced alleging that Cerberus--the private equity firm that owns Freedom group, a holding company that in turn owns a number of firearms manufacturers, including Remington, Marlin, Bushmaster, and DPMS--is in some way tied to George Soros.

This rumor is completely false and baseless.

Following is a statement from Freedom Group, Inc., addressing the rumor:

Despite rumors to the contrary, Cerberus Capital Management, L.P., the firm which owns Freedom Group. Inc. (FGI), the holding company for such firearms manufacturers as Remington, Marlin, Bushmaster and DPMS, is in NO WAY affiliated with anti-gun activist George Soros.

George Soros has never been a part of Freedom Group or Cerberus. Further, as Cerberus is a privately owned corporation, run by sportsmen, shooters and firearms enthusiasts, we can say with great sincerity and certainty that George Soros will never be a part of the Freedom Group family of companies.

"If anyone should know whether George Soros is affiliated with either Freedom Group or Cerberus, it's me," said George Kollitides, Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of FGI. "I spent the last eleven years of my career at Cerberus and just recently stepped down to become executive chairman and chief executive officer of FGI. I did this in order to devote 100 percent of my time, effort and passion to a company I spent years building. I can emphatically proclaim, without the slightest of doubt, that George Soros has never, does not and never will own or be affiliated with Cerberus or Freedom Group.”

To learn more about FGI, our officers, directors and owners, we encourage you to visit our website www.freedom-group.com.

For third-party, independent confirmation of our statement, we encourage you to visit any of the following unaffiliated web sites:

Snopes.com
http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/freedom.asp

Factcheck.org
http://www.factcheck.org/2011/10/george-soros-gun-grab/

Field and Stream
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun ... t-and-evil

Ammoland (National Rifle Association)
http://www.ammoland.com/2011/10/17/inte ... z1r6XlXa7T
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Rumor. It's been going around the internet about Soros for years.

Marlin hasn't been Marlin for almost 10 years. It's Remington.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

These rumors just wont die. Seems about once a year the same thing pops up again.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm just wondering, after all the years since this subject first arose, how could a firearms enthusiast have never heard of the issue ?

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Not all gun owners are privy to all the "political" information concerning firearms. Very little info is publicized about firearms manufacturers (except when someone tries to sue one for an idiotic use of one of their products). If I didn't read The American Rifleman I wouldn't have heard of the BATF trying to reclassify "wetted nitrocellulose" as a high explosive. Unless one gets The American Rifleman, or watches firearm related forums on line, info is hard to get, and mostly these kind of rumors are prevalent ("Hey Bubba, I heard from my BIL who heard it while at the range..."). I shoot, reload, cast, collect, and just all around like firearms, but if I didn't read gun magazines or come to forums like Castboolits, I would only know about a related item after the fact, and sometimes not even then...

Even when I lived in CA and was "semi-active" concerning guns, gun laws, etc, I had to keep a close watch on what was happening in Sacramento, and check out the rumors (but I didn't find out about the lead ban until after it had been enacted). It takes as much or more effort to check out pending legislation and rumors than many have time for, if they want to still enjoy the reason they are watching; guns and gun sports...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Most of these rumors have been all over internet gun forums for years. Even if one doesn't search them out, it is hard to miss them over the last decade.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

How old is Soros now anyway? I'm getting so sick of hearing that wretched name that it will be good to hear it used in past tense form…..
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mikld wrote:Not all gun owners are privy to all the "political" information concerning firearms. Very little info is publicized about firearms manufacturers (except when someone tries to sue one for an idiotic use of one of their products). If I didn't read The American Rifleman I wouldn't have heard of the BATF trying to reclassify "wetted nitrocellulose" as a high explosive. Unless one gets The American Rifleman, or watches firearm related forums on line, info is hard to get, and mostly these kind of rumors are prevalent ("Hey Bubba, I heard from my BIL who heard it while at the range..."). I shoot, reload, cast, collect, and just all around like firearms, but if I didn't read gun magazines or come to forums like Castboolits, I would only know about a related item after the fact, and sometimes not even then...

Even when I lived in CA and was "semi-active" concerning guns, gun laws, etc, I had to keep a close watch on what was happening in Sacramento, and check out the rumors (but I didn't find out about the lead ban until after it had been enacted). It takes as much or more effort to check out pending legislation and rumors than many have time for, if they want to still enjoy the reason they are watching; guns and gun sports...
PLUS, there a lot of gun enthusiasts who INTENTIONALLY avoid anything 'political' - remember when on this forum there were objections to ANY 'political' content, even if it was kept separate in a different section...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

kaschi wrote:How old is Soros now anyway? I'm getting so sick of hearing that wretched name that it will be good to hear it used in past tense form…..
He's 86, and I check daily for his obituary.