Tall ships to visit Erie Pen.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Levergunner 3.0

Tall ships to visit Erie Pen.

Post by 1894 »

So these old wood things , powered by strings, bed sheets , and hopefully some wind , have been wandering around the Great lakes this summer . One of their last major stops is Erie 9/8 - 11 / 16.

http://tallshipserie.org/

My better half , our dog , and I plan to go and see them . Too bad my wifes b-day (50th) falls on Sunday this year , but we plan on staying wed. night - sat night in the area driving back on Sunday.
Looking for advice on good / bad areas to stay , and more importantly dog friendly places like parks and restaurants / eateries / bars / etc with outdoor/ dogs allowed seating . Our recent trip to Maine was great and made better by the number of places we could bring our well mannered dog to.
Also any advice for other things to do and see in the area would be gratefully appreciated .
Phil
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Tall ships to visit Erie Pen.

Post by Blaine »

Those old things have a soul, and voices of their own. As they sail by, if possible, listen to their stories.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

BlaineG wrote:Those old things have a soul, and voices of their own. As they sail by, if possible, listen to their stories.
We plan to do just that. 8)
Phil
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Hopefully find a good vantage point for a tri-pod and camera on Thursday to catch them as they go from sailing mode to make ready for the "parade" into port.
Phil
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

1894 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Those old things have a soul, and voices of their own. As they sail by, if possible, listen to their stories.
We plan to do just that. 8)
I'm lucky, as they grace Puget Sound every so often. Sadly, I passed up a chance to view the USS Constitution.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

We were surprised to learn when we visited the movie model of the HMS Bounty with my parents in florida that it was not scaled down but scaled up and built oversize :o
Phil
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

a totally worthwhile and good thing to do. I spent an hour sitting on Nina's deck, reviewing her sister's memories.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

These are great events. I make sure I attend each time they are in either San Diego, Los Angele/Long Beach and San Francisco (really the only good reason to go there these days).

We see a whole different fleet, so to speak. I'd love to see these fresh water sailing vessels someday.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I used to fish off of the North pier, coastguard station in Presque Isle Peninsula and watched the "Niagara "go out to sea. Saw the other Tall ships also. Worth seeing!
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Grew up in Jamestown, NY, not far from the Niagara.

Been to visit many times. Awesome piece of history.

Don
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

We happened to be in Norfolk, VA on July 4 in the early 1990's. The parade of tall ships sailed in review in Norfolk harbor. Leading the parade was the USS Constitution, and Ships from 10 or 12 other nations.
What a sight indeed.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

We live about an hour from Erie. have seen the Niagara several times. hope We get a chance to go See them. Thanks for the post.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

We picked a place to stay. We should be there Wed. by lunch time giving us time to at least drive to and around that peninsula and get our bearings for the area that day. Short drive or nice walk from where we stay to a bluff overlooking the lake :D
Thursday we'll pick out a place to watch the big parade and try to get some pictures. Friday is just a limited access day for groups like school kids to actually see the boats up close with a few hours for folks that buy an extra pass ( online ) for that day. Saturday+ Sunday, the general publik is allowed as are the vendors for food , drinks , and trinkets .
May just get the Friday pass , check out of the motel Sat am and a quick re-visit before heading home.
Only found three places that go to the extra effort to allow dogs into their outdoor seating area .
Phil