Me and My Old Savage 99...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Went out for a long walk in the Maine Woods today; and it didn't hurt that it was the Deer Season opener. We didn't see anything worth shooting, but that would have been a bonus for us anyway.

Here's my old 1938 Savage 99-F. Per the expert Savage Historian who recently "factory lettered" this old rifle for me, it is a "Savage 99-F Lightweight Takedown; not to be confused with the 1955 Model 99-F or the 1899-F." Interestingly, the copy of the 1938 Jobbers Price List he sent me (since mine was made/shipped that year) says the rifle's weight is 7.5 pounds... (Wait a second, I thought it was a "lightweight"?) :wink:

But she sure carried well in the woods, regardless of the actual weight... You can't beat a day -- even a soggy wet one -- when it's spent out in the woods in the company of Mother Nature, blued steel & walnut, woolen red & black-checkered hunting clothes, and the required Hunter Orange... The wet wool does gets a little heavy, but does indeed stay warm even while wet...
Savage 99F Hunting 01 (Medium).JPG
Turns out that shortly after 8AM (we started at oh-dark-thirty), that the iron sights was a great idea...
Savage 99F Hunting 05 (Medium).JPG
I found where a beaver had been pretty busy, and all 3 of these next shots use the Savage 99-F for scale. He started off on the small size...
Savage 99F Hunting 02 (Medium).JPG
Then he moved up just a little in size...
Savage 99F Hunting 03 (Medium).JPG
...and then Wow -- Mr. Beaver got REALLY ambitious with this one!!! Man, that's a whole lot of bark and wood to chew!
Savage 99F Hunting 04 (Medium).JPG
And then, about an hour later -- still raining -- the best part of the day's "hunt", was finding THIS!!!
Savage 99F Hunting 06 (Medium).JPG
Boy, that sure would have made a great photo op, to drape a BIG 'OL BUCK across the hood of that old car, with the old Savage resting in its antlers!!!

Ah well, I can dream, can't I... Gee, maybe next week?!?! :D

Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Me and My Old Savage 99...

Post by Grizz »

BEAUTY !

I saw a couple of .300 take-downs in enumclaw recently, but ratty looking compared to your treasure.

thanks for the excursion
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:BEAUTY !

I saw a couple of .300 take-downs in enumclaw recently, but ratty looking compared to your treasure.

thanks for the excursion
What he said (except I've not been to the Enumclaw Shop for a long time)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice!!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"What he said (except I've not been to the Enumclaw Shop for a long time)"
--Blaine G.

Time for a culture trip: visit The Princess, then head out to Tuttle's??....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:D :D :D

Glad you got out!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Looks like you had a good day #7 finding stuff in the woods is interesting and 99s are a fine hunting rifle I enjoy hunting with mine. danny
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I'll be taking my 99F out for a walk tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ray Newman wrote:"What he said (except I've not been to the Enumclaw Shop for a long time)"
--Blaine G.

Time for a culture trip: visit The Princess, then head out to Tuttle's??....
Any day next week except Thursday.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Beautiful looking Savage 99 you got there! What vintage automobile the Savage is resting on? I'll be bringing a pair of Savage 99's up to camp in a few weeks.

Did go out briefly this morning but didn't see anything. Just got a call half hour ago one of my relatives who's up to camp reported it's snowing heavily. They did hunt most of the day up there did see few nice size deer tracks but that was about it BUT we're able to fill their tag on partridge :D

Mainehunter :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Mainehunter wrote:
What vintage automobile the Savage is resting on ?
My money's on it being a 1946 Ford............................ ( My 1st car was a 1947 Ford - the only difference was the -47's trim contour wasn't ribbed like the -46's).

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old No7 wrote:You can't beat a day -- even a soggy wet one -- when it's spent out in the woods in the company of Mother Nature, blued steel & walnut, woolen red & black-checkered hunting clothes, and the required Hunter Orange... The wet wool does gets a little heavy, but does indeed stay warm even while wet...
You got that right... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Good hunt and thanks for the pics. I've always had a very soft spot for the 99F, especially in 250/3000.

Tell us about the car. I'm restoring/hot rodding a 41 Mercury that looks a lot like the one you took the picture of. Only difference in the Mercury and the 46 Ford is about 4 inches in the hood and wheel base. I could tell easy if you had included the grill.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

I got rid of a very fine 99F in 250 Sav. back in the 70's. Serial #120XXX. I believe that makes it 1920. It would shoot 11/4" all day long @100yds. About 5 years ago, I picked up another 99F takedown in 250 for $650. Serial # is 209XXX, maybe mid 1940's? It has had a professional restoration and looks darn near close to brand new. With all this talk, I am going to take it out and see if I can't kill a deer with those iron sights.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

carbluesnake wrote:I got rid of a very fine 99F in 250 Sav. back in the 70's. Serial #120XXX. I believe that makes it 1920. It would shoot 11/4" all day long @100yds. About 5 years ago, I picked up another 99F takedown in 250 for $650. Serial # is 209XXX, maybe mid 1940's? It has had a professional restoration and looks darn near close to brand new. With all this talk, I am going to take it out and see if I can't kill a deer with those iron sights.
Go for it -- good huntin'!!!

I'm glad that some others chimed in about the old car, as I have no idea of what it was... I didn't even bother to check the make either, as I was just thinking "What a good photo op" it would make for a 1938-vintage rifle... :wink:

I might actually take some old single shots there for more photos on the iPhone, and save them in black & white as "vintage" pix...

I checked my iPhone this evening, and today's "long walk" took me just over 14,000 steps and 6.5 miles -- and 99% of that was in heavy hunting boots with 15# of gear, plus the rifle and all. Not a bad workout.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Must have been something in the air this week to generate Savage 99 activity. My friend George came by yesterday with his 99 in 32/40. I had already got some dies for him so we formed some cases from 30/30 and loaded up using the Hornady 165 grainers with 21 grains of 4198. A quick run to the grasslands north of town with a box shot at over the pickup hood: got him nicely sighted in and the old girl shot quite well. That must be a low pressure load: we had some dents and wrinkles from the forming operation and they didn't really iron out as well as I expected.

Then today I visited friend Larry and took along my 300 Savage which we shot with reasonable success at some gongs using the 117 grain Ranch Dog bullet in pushed by 10.7 grains of Green Dot for just a bit over 1700 fps.

Oh yeah, that is such a beautiful rifle you have there 7 that I'd probably have left it home and taken one of those old soulless plastic stocked things on such a rainy day. But I'm an old desert rat and am not used to getting wet.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great post and photos, I could almost smell the wet leaves.... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

GREAT Post....
Thanks for taking the time to share a truly CLASSIC day in the Maine deer woods.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Old No7 wrote:Me and My Old Savage 99...

Went out for a long walk in the Maine Woods today; and it didn't hurt that it was the Deer Season opener. We didn't see anything worth shooting, but that would have been a bonus for us anyway.

Here's my old 1938 Savage 99-F. Per the expert Savage Historian who recently "factory lettered" this old rifle for me, it is a "Savage 99-F Lightweight Takedown; not to be confused with the 1955 Model 99-F or the 1899-F." Interestingly, the copy of the 1938 Jobbers Price List he sent me (since mine was made/shipped that year) says the rifle's weight is 7.5 pounds... (Wait a second, I thought it was a "lightweight"?) :wink:

But she sure carried well in the woods, regardless of the actual weight... You can't beat a day -- even a soggy wet one -- when it's spent out in the woods in the company of Mother Nature, blued steel & walnut, woolen red & black-checkered hunting clothes, and the required Hunter Orange... The wet wool does gets a little heavy, but does indeed stay warm even while wet...
Savage 99F Hunting 01 (Medium).JPG
Turns out that shortly after 8AM (we started at oh-dark-thirty), that the iron sights was a great idea...
Savage 99F Hunting 05 (Medium).JPG
I found where a beaver had been pretty busy, and all 3 of these next shots use the Savage 99-F for scale. He started off on the small size...
Savage 99F Hunting 02 (Medium).JPG
Then he moved up just a little in size...
Savage 99F Hunting 03 (Medium).JPG
...and then Wow -- Mr. Beaver got REALLY ambitious with this one!!! Man, that's a whole lot of bark and wood to chew!
Savage 99F Hunting 04 (Medium).JPG
And then, about an hour later -- still raining -- the best part of the day's "hunt", was finding THIS!!!
Savage 99F Hunting 06 (Medium).JPG
Boy, that sure would have made a great photo op, to drape a BIG 'OL BUCK across the hood of that old car, with the old Savage resting in its antlers!!!

Ah well, I can dream, can't I... Gee, maybe next week?!?! :D

Tight groups.

Old No7

Years ago while working at Bath Iron Works I bought a M99 at Brunswick Gun Shop. I got it very reasonably priced, as it was in 303 Savage. It was made in 1910 and had 28 notches on the buttstock, no telling what for. :o
Merle from PA
1894c

Post by 1894c »

No 7 --- really nice Savage 99...always like the look of that rifle... :)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yet again No7, great story from the woods.
That 99 looks mint, and I passed on one when I was younger and even more dumb than today!

N :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

That is the most beautiful rifle.