Tahmooressi free at last

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Tahmooressi free at last

Post by jnyork »

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- A Mexican judge has ordered the immediate release of a jailed U.S. Marine veteran who spent eight months behind bars for crossing the border with loaded guns.

Family spokesman Jonathan Franks told The Associated Press on Friday that the judge decided to release retired Marine Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi (Tah-mor-EE-si).

Franks said the judge released him without making a determination on the charge against him.

The family issued the following statement: "It is with an overwhelming and humbling feeling of relief that we confirm that Andrew was released today after spending 214 days in Mexican Jail."

The 26-year-old Florida man said he got lost on a California freeway ramp that sent him across the border with no way to turn back. His long detention brought calls for his freedom from U.S. politicians, veterans groups and social media campaigns.

In Mexico, possession of weapons restricted for use by the Army is a federal crime, and the country has been tightening up its border checks to stop the flow of US weapons that have been used by drug cartels.

His attorney, Fernando Benitez, says Tahmooressi carries loaded guns with him because his weapons, which were bought legally in the U.S., make him feel safer. He is often distracted, which could have contributed to him becoming lost, Benitez said.

Still, Mexican prosecutors say Tahmooressi broke the law, and they have denied claims by his attorney that he was held for about eight hours without a translator before authorities notified the U.S. Consulate.

But a psychiatrist hired by Mexican prosecutors to examine the Afghanistan veteran agreed with the defense that he should get PTSD treatment in the United States, noting in a Sept. 30 report that Tahmooressi, who now serves in the Marine reserve, feels like he is constantly in danger.

Tahmooressi did not admit wrongdoing, and he still maintains his innocence, his attorney said.

His mother, Jill Tahmooressi, has said her son's time in a Mexican jail has been worse than his two tours in Afghanistan.

Tahmooressi left Florida for San Diego in January to get help after dropping out of college, unable to concentrate or sleep, his mother said.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Tahmooressi free at last

Post by Blaine »

Guess who ( a few days before the elections) will take credit for the release? :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

In Mexico, possession of weapons restricted for use by the Army is a federal crime, and the country has been tightening up its border checks to stop the flow of US weapons that have been used by drug cartels.
Kind of like our ridiculous 'machine-gun' ban... :|

Like BlaineG says, of course Obongo will claim to have facilitated his release. . . :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I feel its about 212 days late. But am glad to see him home! I have to ask why isn't Mexico demanding the Major gunrunner Eric Holders exportation for trial if they are so concerned ?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Maybe his Mom will buy him a map.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

EdinCT wrote:I feel its about 212 days late. But am glad to see him home! I have to ask why isn't Mexico demanding the Major gunrunner Eric Holders exportation for trial if they are so concerned ?
Now I'd LOVE to see that...!!!! 8)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If only we would treat OUR illegals rough, and hard...maybe they wouldn't come back time after time :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Answer to prayers that he was released. president has certainly showed his despise for the USA military in his complete lack of involvement in this. What a PPOS
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

rjohns94 wrote:Answer to prayers that he was released. president has certainly showed his despise for the USA military in his complete lack of involvement in this. What a PPOS
He does not deserve his POTUS status.....Thankfully, most lawmakers and statesmen acted properly, and Montel Williams was very helpful.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

It all really comes down to the fact that his family didn't offer a big enough bribe earlier on. Otherwise, he'd likely have been home in a few days. And, I imagine some cop down there is enjoying his firearms.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:Answer to prayers that he was released. president has certainly showed his despise for the USA military in his complete lack of involvement in this. What a PPOS
He does not deserve his POTUS status.....Thankfully, most lawmakers and statesmen acted properly, and Montel Williams was very helpful.
I give him 60% of his POTUS status; I just shrink two of the five letters - instead of 'POTUS' I just use 'POtuS'.

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I am glad the fellow is back and wish him well. However those of us who live on the Border consider him a double barrel idiot for thinking he could just cross the border, tell the Mexicans he had three weapons in the car and expect they to allow him to turn around and return to the the states. I would sooner believe that water flowed uphill than believe that.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Charles wrote:I am glad the fellow is back and wish him well. However those of us who live on the Border consider him a double barrel idiot for thinking he could just cross the border, tell the Mexicans he had three weapons in the car and expect they to allow him to turn around and return to the the states. I would sooner believe that water flowed uphill than believe that.
]+1. Hard to believe someone that stupid made it to Sgt...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
Charles wrote:I am glad the fellow is back and wish him well. However those of us who live on the Border consider him a double barrel idiot for thinking he could just cross the border, tell the Mexicans he had three weapons in the car and expect they to allow him to turn around and return to the the states. I would sooner believe that water flowed uphill than believe that.
]+1. Hard to believe someone that stupid made it to Sgt...
"We teach them how to go to war, but, we don't teach them how to come back" Think about how many of the middle aged, and young homeless street Vets that have lost touch with reality, and are helpless to re enter society, and rethink your callous judgements :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

We still have vets from Vietnam in the same kind of purgatory for almost 45 years now. Had a friend go over, definitely did not come back the same. Seen him off and on over the years and the last time I saw him 6 months ago he seemed to be doing the best I had seen in years. Judge no one until you have walked in their shoes.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

+1 on all counts!
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

jnyork wrote:SAN DIEGO (AP) -- A Mexican judge has ordered the immediate release of a jailed U.S. Marine veteran who spent eight months behind bars for crossing the border with loaded guns.

Family spokesman Jonathan Franks told The Associated Press on Friday that the judge decided to release retired Marine Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi (Tah-mor-EE-si).

Franks said the judge released him without making a determination on the charge against him.

The family issued the following statement: "It is with an overwhelming and humbling feeling of relief that we confirm that Andrew was released today after spending 214 days in Mexican Jail."

The 26-year-old Florida man said he got lost on a California freeway ramp that sent him across the border with no way to turn back. His long detention brought calls for his freedom from U.S. politicians, veterans groups and social media campaigns.

His attorney, Fernando Benitez, says Tahmooressi carries loaded guns with him because his weapons, which were bought legally in the U.S., make him feel safer. He is often distracted, which could have contributed to him becoming lost, Benitez said.

Still, Mexican prosecutors say Tahmooressi broke the law, and they have denied claims by his attorney that he was held for about eight hours without a translator before authorities notified the U.S. Consulate.

But a psychiatrist hired by Mexican prosecutors to examine the Afghanistan veteran agreed with the defense that he should get PTSD treatment in the United States, noting in a Sept. 30 report that Tahmooressi, who now serves in the Marine reserve, feels like he is constantly in danger.

Tahmooressi did not admit wrongdoing, and he still maintains his innocence, his attorney said.

His mother, Jill Tahmooressi, has said her son's time in a Mexican jail has been worse than his two tours in Afghanistan.

Tahmooressi left Florida for San Diego in January to get help after dropping out of college, unable to concentrate or sleep, his mother said.

He was in a Mexican jail, of course he was always in danger. Geesh.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I too am glad he's finally back in the U.S. but I've thought from the beginning he exercised extremely bad judgement in having those guns with him. He gave them justification to mess with him. If he didn't know & trust someone in San Diego he could've given them to for safe keeping before he went to TiJuana for a good time, he could've checked them in with a LE agency. I can't help but wonder if that PTSD clouded his judgement. And then there's the holding him for ransom thing that those bastards chronically pull, too, even without the guns. jd45
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

He could have stopped before he crossed the border.

I'd block traffic rather than spend a single night in a Mexican jail.

If it means going to jail IN THE US, so be it.

Glad he made it back to this side, but the kid's a Class-1 dumb-butt.

:roll:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I don't know - I could see how getting lost and ending up at a border crossing, a guy could think he could find a way to turn around at the crossing.

I got a lot of hassle at an Army post once. I had a drawing permit to hunt a high valley that had access only across military land. I started driving up the mountain to find the Army had gated the road off at the bottom.

Drove down and went to the post gate to ask about it, they said that gate was shut for the duration of the hunt and no access was allowed (to keep us safe from bad weather), so I left. On the way out they said they were handling traffic differently, I could not just turn around and leave, but had to go through another checkpoint where they were searching cars, which put me on post with a rifle that was not registered with the post.

The military up here takes a dim view of civilians participating in hunts they feel should be military hunts, so I don't even mess with it anymore, which is what they want, I guess.