My .36 Model 1862 Pocket Police

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

My .36 Model 1862 Pocket Police

Post by Pete44ru »

I snagged this pristine example of a Colt clone this week - A petite Uberti .36cal, 5-hot Model 1862 Pocket Police with 5-1/2" bbl - well under the market value.

Here it is, again - for a size comparison to my OM Ruger Bearcat .22 SA revolver.

I'll be needing some .380" lead balls for it, then head for the range.........

Last edited by Pete44ru on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My .36 Model 1862 Pocket Police

Post by Ben_Rumson »

8) Those are neat! Great find.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

C&B revolvers are just the cat's meow! And those fluted cylinders are VERY cool looking.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote:C&B revolvers are just the cat's meow! And those fluted cylinders are VERY cool looking.
+ a million! 8) 8) 8)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Then again, I am a LITTLE biased... :wink: :lol:

plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Nice
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I had one with the shorter barrel. I was a bit surprised at how it shot. Cloverleafs @ 20 yards with a full charge load.

Another bad trade, letting it go.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Malamute wrote:I had one with the shorter barrel. I was a bit surprised at how it shot. Cloverleafs @ 20 yards with a full charge load.

Another bad trade, letting it go.
Likewise on all points.

I was surprised also to find that it was the same size as my S&W chiefs special, other than barrel length.

Each of Mr.Colt's revolvers of that period seems perfectly sized for its intended purpose. Most modern guns seem sort of awkward by comparison.

Jack
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice! :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Is there a fist shaking smiley? That pair is so nice looking, that I immediately jumped on to another forum to check for a Uberti .36....
And as luck would have it! There it was, an 1851 Navy! Priced low, earlier today. Well I told him I would take it, so I'll see if I get to join the club.

I have a feeling its gone though. I did not realize that they were that petite. I kind of passed over them before, thinking that they were a rather large pistol in a small caliber. I hope, I hope, I hope!
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Tactical Lever wrote:
I immediately jumped on to another forum to check for a Uberti .36....There it was, an 1851 Navy! Priced low, earlier today.
Well I told him I would take it, so I'll see if I get to join the club.

I did not realize that they were that petite.

I kind of passed over them before, thinking that they were a rather large pistol in a small caliber.
I sincerely hope that you won't be disappointed, when I tell you that there are .36's, and then there are .36's.

The 5-shot .36 Uberti 1862 is AFAIK the only .36 based on the small/petite 5-shot .31 Colt Model 1849 (Wells Fargo) frame - which was cut out so the larger (.36) front half of the cylinder would clear it (just like the larger M1860 Army).

The Pietta M1862 is based on the larger Model 1851 frame (also cut out for a.44 cylinder in the M1860), and is a 6-shot revolver. (All 1851's were originally of the "Navy" .36 cal).

IIRC, all M1851 frame-based revolvers are available only with octagonal bbls or a plain round bbl - but not with the streamlined M1860/M1862 type bbl.

In any event - keep yer powder dry ! ;)

jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Pete44ru wrote:IRC, all M1851 frame-based revolvers are available only with octagonal bbls or a plain round bbl - but not with the streamlined M1860/M1862 type bbl.
The .36 Cal. 1861 Navy is built just like the 1860 Army, but on the smaller frame.

Jack
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

That 1862 Police is just the prettiest pistol that Colt ever made. Buddy of mine had one back in the 50s when we started shooting. I had a Remington 44 but have always wanted an 1862 Police.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Pete44ru wrote:
Tactical Lever wrote:
I immediately jumped on to another forum to check for a Uberti .36....There it was, an 1851 Navy! Priced low, earlier today.
Well I told him I would take it, so I'll see if I get to join the club.

I did not realize that they were that petite.

I kind of passed over them before, thinking that they were a rather large pistol in a small caliber.
I sincerely hope that you won't be disappointed, when I tell you that there are .36's, and then there are .36's.

The 5-shot .36 Uberti 1862 is AFAIK the only .36 based on the small/petite 5-shot .31 Colt Model 1849 (Wells Fargo) frame - which was cut out so the larger (.36) front half of the cylinder would clear it (just like the larger M1860 Army).

The Pietta M1862 is based on the larger Model 1851 frame (also cut out for a.44 cylinder in the M1860), and is a 6-shot revolver. (All 1851's were originally of the "Navy" .36 cal).

IIRC, all M1851 frame-based revolvers are available only with octagonal bbls or a plain round bbl - but not with the streamlined M1860/M1862 type bbl.

In any event - keep yer powder dry ! ;)

Thanks Pete; this may be the big one, as its a Uberti 1851. I will see if I get it. It would not be a total loss. But I think I would be trying to find a small frame one still.

A guy's gotta keep busy somehow! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dang Pete, yours is in better shape than mine. I gotta stop beating these guns.-----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

That's quite the gennie you got there, Six ! ! Niiiice !

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I always thought those top-strap-less revolvers looked like the 'engineer' was on vacation that year...

It amazes me they don't bend or fly apart when fired.

Still - I wouldn't mind getting one some day.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

jhrosier wrote: The .36 Cal. 1861 Navy is built just like the 1860 Army, but on the smaller frame.

Jack
The 1860 and '51 Navy are actually the same size frame, the '60 has a step cut in it for the rebated cylinder.
Tactical Lever wrote: Thanks Pete; this may be the big one, as its a Uberti 1851. I will see if I get it. It would not be a total loss. But I think I would be trying to find a small frame one still.

The '51 is definitely larger than the '62's. It's probably a more practical shooter, just not the charm of the little '62's.

A decent pic showing a comparison of sizes I saw online. Bottom gun is '62, second one up is '51 Navy, third up is a Dragoon, top is Walker.

http://www.edna.cz/runtime/userfiles/se ... /59966.jpg
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Malamute wrote:
jhrosier wrote: The .36 Cal. 1861 Navy is built just like the 1860 Army, but on the smaller frame.

Jack
The 1860 and '51 Navy are actually the same size frame, the '60 has a step cut in it for the rebated cylinder.
Tactical Lever wrote: Thanks Pete; this may be the big one, as its a Uberti 1851. I will see if I get it. It would not be a total loss. But I think I would be trying to find a small frame one still.

The '51 is definitely larger than the '62's. It's probably a more practical shooter, just not the charm of the little '62's.

A decent pic showing a comparison of sizes I saw online. Bottom gun is '62, second one up is '51 Navy, third up is a Dragoon, top is Walker.

http://www.edna.cz/runtime/userfiles/se ... /59966.jpg
Yeah, its a '51 Navy. Not sure what's happening, but I won't be quite as disappointed if it doesn't happen. I have a NAA Earl, and it seems like it is accurate but that is a challenging pistol to shoot. I should probably take it out a little more.

Thanks for posting that.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Tactical Lever wrote:Is there a fist shaking smiley? That pair is so nice looking, that I immediately jumped on to another forum to check for a Uberti .36....
And as luck would have it! There it was, an 1851 Navy! Priced low, earlier today. Well I told him I would take it, so I'll see if I get to join the club.

I have a feeling its gone though. I did not realize that they were that petite. I kind of passed over them before, thinking that they were a rather large pistol in a small caliber. I hope, I hope, I hope!
ImageImage

My 1851s...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Handy little rabbit gun Pete :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I have read, in several references, over many years, that the perfectly-proportioned 1861 "Navy" was Sam Colt's personal favorite of all the revolvers his company produced..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Griff wrote:
Tactical Lever wrote:Is there a fist shaking smiley? That pair is so nice looking, that I immediately jumped on to another forum to check for a Uberti .36....

ImageImage

My 1851s...
Real nice looking collection Griff! Good lookin' rig also. A couple old ones in there? Details please!

Looks like I get to join the club, I have been wanting to get a bp revolver for quite some time. Had to do a little suckholing, for spending "all the money", I mean all "her money". :wink: Have not even seen a picture yet, but its listed as good shape.

Pretty excited!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Tactical Lever wrote:
Looks like I get to join the club, I have been wanting to get a bp revolver for quite some time. Had to do a little suckholing, for spending "all the money", I mean all "her money". :wink:

Do you mean to tell us that YOU are the ONLY guy to buy a gun that DIDN'T come as a package deal with a piece of bling fer yer woman ? ? . ;) . ;) . ;)

(I mean, that's a given - along with not spittin' inta the wind, tugging on Superman's cape, etc, etc.)

:mrgreen:

Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Pete44ru wrote:
Tactical Lever wrote:
Looks like I get to join the club, I have been wanting to get a bp revolver for quite some time. Had to do a little suckholing, for spending "all the money", I mean all "her money". :wink:

Do you mean to tell us that YOU are the ONLY guy to buy a gun that DIDN'T come as a package deal with a piece of bling fer yer woman ? ? . ;) . ;)
(I mean, that's a given - along with not spittin' inta the wind, tugging on Superman's cape, etc, etc.)

:mrgreen: . ;).

Yeah, not quite every time.... but she does have a few favourites and a couple that she claimed. One of the recent occasions, I was informed that she doesn't want any gun stuff. Whadya gonna do? Dames!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Buck Elliott wrote:I have read, in several references, over many years, that the perfectly-proportioned 1861 "Navy" was Sam Colt's personal favorite of all the revolvers his company produced..
That's probably mostly due to his predisposition to marketing; ALWAYS promote the latest & greatest! I have no doubt that had he lived, the 1862 & SAA would have supplanted the 1861! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The Colt 1860 Army brought about two major design innovations for Colt; the rebated cylinder and the creeping style loading lever. The former allowed for a larger caliber on a smaller frame. Basically, the 1860 .44 caliber is on a .36 caliber frame. The 1861 Navy, in .36 caliber, is basically a .36-caliber 1860, with a straight cylinder. The only other difference between it and the 1860, besides the caliber (and the cylinder design), is that the grip frame and length is smaller than the 1860 Army.

Colt incorporated both design features in the 1862 Pocket Police. It is built on the .31-caliber frame, being a 5-shot.36 caliber by using a rebated cylinder. The 1862 Pocket Police also uses a creeping style loading lever. In the same year Colt introduced the 1862 Pocket Navy. Same general frame and size, but a non-fluted cylinder, standard loading lever, and shorter octagonal barrel. Literally a pocket-sized version of the 1851 Navy.

As much as I love the 1862 pocket models, if I was starting into cap & ball looking for my first revolver, it would be the 1860 Army or 1851 Navy. Those are the gold standards.

Enjoy!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Tactical Lever wrote:
Griff wrote:My 1851s...
Real nice looking collection Griff! Good lookin' rig also. A couple old ones in there? Details please!
L-R: Colt 2nd Series, Armi San Marco {made of left over parts from the Colt 2nd series... All parts interchange with the Colts, except the barrel pins are on a different spacing}, Colt 2nd Series {later group} and a Colt Signature Series {assembled by Iver Johnson under license from Colt}. I also have four spare cylinders from Uberti that I bought from Dixie Gun Works... and work in all four guns!

A lot of people don't like that square-back trigger guard, but I find it adds just a dash of "different" and doesn't pinch my finger as described by some. One of my next acquisitions will be a pair of "cross-draw" holsters, a left & right so I can wear all four guns and compete in a "Josey Wales" match thrown up in MI.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The creeping loading lever was an innovation of one Mr. E. K. Root, and introduced with the 1855 Root sidehammer revolvers..

Root was Colt's shop superintendant, and the inventor of the horizontal milling machine, among many other machine tools used in gun manufacture..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...