Gunclub Report--5744

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Gunclub Report--5744

Post by Sixgun »

Fellow Shootists,
You boys remember that little incident I had a couple of weeks ago with 5744 powder? Well, I decided I was beating a dead horse dealing with Accurate Arms as there was no way they were going to admit any wrong doing, so I decided to keep on shooting that powder. I always did lead a somewhat reckless life so what the heck. I did decide to stop using it in the big bores with the exception of very limited use.

I went to the gunclub last Monday and shot up 400 rounds of assorted rifle ammo all loaded with 5744. I chronographed nearly every load with no major variations.

I brought a pair of 1895's in 30-40 to try out the Lyman 215 gr.gc bullet. I was somewhat satisfied but I think I was pushing them a bit fast. Groups ran around 3 inches with both guns.

A takedown 1894 in 32 Spl. was a tackdriver with 2" groups at 100 and 4" at 200. I was shooting little rocks out to 300 meters with ease. I had a liner put in that rifle with a 1-14 twist instead of the factory 1-16. This baby shoots. (did not take any pics of the targets) :cry:

A takedown 1893 Marlin in 38-55 was the day's winner and will show you that conventional wisdom does not always apply. If you notice, the first target was about 4 inches with .379 bullets. The next target was with everything the same but with .377 bullets. The .377 bullets outshot the .379 bullets easily and the bore measures .378!

Keep in mind I do not practice benchrest habits. I use a rest and shoot. if the gun gets hot, its gets hot. I keep on shootin'. I shoot fast and have fun. This ain't no contest and I ain't winning no Cadillac.

I had one of my homemade "shoot 'n see" targets at 200 meters. It measures 8" square. I shot very fast with 15 rounds with a front support only and hit it 12 times. The three misses were right off the target. This is going to be my new NRA silhouette rifle. Was made in 1902 and has a 100% perfect bore.

The homemade shoot 'n see" targets are easy to make. Just get some white cardboard (or white paper over brown cardboard) and stretch some Saran Wrap over it. Paint it black and let it dry. Thats all, the bullets will do the rest

I shot many targets and these below are representative. I also shot lots of steel and my favorite, rocks. Happy shootin' :D --Sixgun

Image,

.379 bullets
bullets,

.377 bullets,
Image,

my homemade "shoot 'n see" targets. Very neat as you can make them any size for just about nothing.,
Image,

Just a stupid pictue of a 100 rounds of 30-40 Krag ammo loaded with 215 Lymans. ,
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Okay, I'll bite. What is your homemade "shoot-n-see" target made out of?
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

Spill the beans. How do you make your own "Shoot n see" targets?

Dad burn it Ysabel, ya must have beat me by seconds.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Kid and Jengel, Your supposed to read the text and not just look at the pictures. This ain't no Playboy magazine. :D ----------Sixgun

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I missed it - was reading about the actual guns and shooting! Glad I wasn't the only one! :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I missed it - was reading about the actual guns and shooting! Glad I wasn't the only one! :wink:
:D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I wonder if it would be cheaper to take a clear or white garbage bag, stretch it over the carboard, and then paint it black? Saran-wrap can get kind of expensive...
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

Sixgun wrote:Kid and Jengel, Your supposed to read the text and not just look at the pictures. This ain't no Playboy magazine. :D ----------Sixgun
OOOHH, that's where I went wrong. Don't WE feel like fools now. :lol:

It's good to laugh at yourself once in a while. I actually went back and read the text, sorry for my indescretion.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Nice idea, making your own shoot-N-see targets.

I must be unusual, I read it and got it the first time.

One who reads first, then looks at Pix's. :wink:

When I read Playboy, I read the Playmate's name first. :lol: :lol:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Learn something everyday...Thanks.
I use to keep those Playboy Mags hidden from my Mom when I was kid, and when she caught me, I told her I was just trying to improve my speed reading skills.... :D
Semper Fi
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

There are words in Playboys? :shock:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Sixgun wrote:Kid and Jengel, Your supposed to read the text and not just look at the pictures. This ain't no Playboy magazine. :D ----------Sixgun
LOL :lol: :lol:

I am glad to see you didnt have another problem with 5744. Looks like you have some shooters.

I'll have to give those targets a try.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

What a great idea your targets are :idea:
I'm gonna make some with brightly colored paper, as well as white.
otteray
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Sixgun, it looks like you had alot of fun and good shooting. I like your idea for the shoot and see targets, going to have to try that.
Ricky

DWWC