Two interesting rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Two interesting rifles

Post by FatJackDurham »

I went to an antique rifle dealer and collector to consult on how to restore my RB No. 5, and I saw two really neat rifles in his shop.

One was an Ethan Allen Drop Block in .32 rimfire.

the other was an astonishing Triplett and Scott Civil War Repeating Rifle.

I didn't take pictures of my own, so I posted links to similar rifles. But it was just a sample of the kinds of things this fellow has litterally strewn around his cramped shop.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Re: Two interesting rifles

Post by Bruce Scott »

Very interesting - particularly the operation of the T&S.

"To operate the action of the gun the hammer was placed on half cock, and a thumb release catch was depressed on the rear of the receiver. This allowed the shooter to rotate the forward half of the receiver to the right (clockwise) and as the forward portion rotated an automatic ejector would extract the spent cartridge case from the receiver, dumping it on the ground. As the forward portion of the receiver was rotated further around, it pushed a spring-loaded door, which covered the magazine tube, open. This allowed a cartridge to be fed into the firing chamber. Rotating the action back to the left (counter clockwise) closed and locked the action, and cocking the hammer fully made the gun ready for firing."