45 ACP Lever Action.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

45 ACP Lever Action.

Post by Grizzly Adams »

It lives! :shock:

Saw one at End of Trail (SASS World Championship). During the posse shoot off, the rifleman next to me was shooting an Uberti 73. When the shooting was done and we were clearing each other and picking up brass, I notice his brass was 45ACP. Asked him about it, and he showed me his 73 which had indeed been converted to 45ACP. Pretty slick! Said it held 15 rounds... 8)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 45 ACP Lever Action.

Post by stretch »

Man, that would be just the thing for home defense, eh?

That and a 1911 and you'd be all set.

-Stretch
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

IIRC some of the Spanish El Tigre 92s or South American 92s that found their way to police use down yonder were chambered in ACP. I remember seeing a few so stamped at a pawn shop in Phoenix (sadly gone) that used to occasionally have some interesting old levers.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That woulda been Goatneck Clem. Him and Dusty Boddams have 'em. Dusty also has an 1894 Marlin so converted. The 1873 is an easier conversion... Adirondack Jack did all the hard work with his carrier for the Cowboy45Special. That carrier and setting the barrel back for a 45ACP chamber is all there is to it.

The Marlin needs a bit of work to the carrier bottom, you have to build up a ramp so it raises faster, shutting off the mag tube from pushing a second round onto it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Griff wrote:That woulda been Goatneck Clem. Him and Dusty Boddams have 'em. Dusty also has an 1894 Marlin so converted. The 1873 is an easier conversion... Adirondack Jack did all the hard work with his carrier for the Cowboy45Special. That carrier and setting the barrel back for a 45ACP chamber is all there is to it.

The Marlin needs a bit of work to the carrier bottom, you have to build up a ramp so it raises faster, shutting off the mag tube from pushing a second round onto it.

Yup! :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Grizzly Adams wrote:
Griff wrote:That woulda been Goatneck Clem. Him and Dusty Boddams have 'em. Dusty also has an 1894 Marlin so converted. The 1873 is an easier conversion... Adirondack Jack did all the hard work with his carrier for the Cowboy45Special. That carrier and setting the barrel back for a 45ACP chamber is all there is to it.
Shot with him today! Although I was slow as molasses, (as usual), I did get a clean match. I was REALLY careful on that last stage... 3 folks on our posse lost their clean match on that stage... it wasn't particularily difficult... but it really encouraged speed!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Since I like 1911's it always seemed like it would be cool to have a matching levergun and semiauto pistol, instead of just a levergun/revolver pair (how old-fashioned :roll: ). But I always fancied the 44 Mag in a levergun, and don't have the gunsmithing talents to make myself a 45 ACP levergun.

But then along came IMI and solved the problem (thankfully I have large hands) by making the Desert Eagle... :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

stretch wrote:Man, that would be just the thing for home defense, eh?

That and a 1911 and you'd be all set.

-Stretch
+1!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Another +1 for a nice HD piece. Would turn an otherwise 8 shot shorty 16" 92 trapper into at least a 10 if not 11 shot - .44 Sp ballistics at close range - sounds good to me. What's not to like? I've got a .44 Mag trapper with nine .44 Specials in it basically same function (w/ mags at the campsite). Otherwise I'd be in on this in a jiffy!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Griff wrote:
Grizzly Adams wrote:
Shot with him today! Although I was slow as molasses, (as usual), I did get a clean match. I was REALLY careful on that last stage... 3 folks on our posse lost their clean match on that stage... it wasn't particularily difficult... but it really encouraged speed!

Congratulations on your clean match! :D

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I've also seen El Tigre Spanish clones of the Winchester '92 chambered/barreled in .45 ACP. They had the barrels cut to about 16". Was told that these were done in South America for a law enforcement agency that had worn out the original .44-40 barrels and wanted their carbines to chamber the same round as their handguns and submachine guns.

Probably done in the 1940s, since the guns were sold as surplus here in the 1960s when most South American agencies were beginning to standardize on the 9mm.

The Winchester '73, '92, and copies of them were very popular in South America for paramilitary weapons for a long time. Many of the "trapper" short carbines went down there. Handy in "la jungla"!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

why---WHY....WOULD ANYONE WANT TO HAVE A 45ACP RIFLE OR CARBINE ? AND SINCE WHEN IS IT A CARTRIDGE TO BE USED IN SASS ??
I SUPPOSE IT IS BECAUSE OF THE WILD BUNCH STUFF, HUH?! THE WILD BUNCH IS A GOOD IDEA ONLY---ONLY!!!---IF YOU HAVE THE MAXIM GUN THERE TO HOSE THINGS DOWN WITH REAL HONEST-T-GOD AMMUNITION , NOT THAT WEAKASSED PHONY POPGUN stuff THEY INSIST YOU SHOOT. SILLYNESS RUN AMUCK THAT IS !!
YOU KNOW....SASS WAS A GREAT IDEA THAT HAS TURNED INTO A ROYAL PAIN-IN-THE-SASS. AND THE LIES ABOUT THEIR MEMBERSHIP NUMBERS HAVE NOW BORDERED UPON THE INSANE....LIKE WHEN YOU START BELIEVING YOUR OWN PROPAGANDA. YEEE GADS...!!!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Terry Murbach wrote:why---WHY....WOULD ANYONE WANT TO HAVE A 45ACP RIFLE OR CARBINE ? AND SINCE WHEN IS IT A CARTRIDGE TO BE USED IN SASS ??
I SUPPOSE IT IS BECAUSE OF THE WILD BUNCH STUFF, HUH?! THE WILD BUNCH IS A GOOD IDEA ONLY---ONLY!!!---IF YOU HAVE THE MAXIM GUN THERE TO HOSE THINGS DOWN WITH REAL HONEST-T-GOD AMMUNITION , NOT THAT WEAKASSED PHONY POPGUN stuff THEY INSIST YOU SHOOT. SILLYNESS RUN AMUCK THAT IS !!
YOU KNOW....SASS WAS A GREAT IDEA THAT HAS TURNED INTO A ROYAL PAIN-IN-THE-SASS. AND THE LIES ABOUT THEIR MEMBERSHIP NUMBERS HAVE NOW BORDERED UPON THE INSANE....LIKE WHEN YOU START BELIEVING YOUR OWN PROPAGANDA. YEEE GADS...!!!
I can't speak to SASS, but essentially the same thing happened to IDPA/IPSC not long after I quit competing. Race guns and Space Guns and High Tech/High $$$ accessories came to dominate what became a "Game".

A guy with a Stock 1911 was simply "out toyed".

IDPA came along to fix that, but I have been too poor to get back into competitive Practical Shooting...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Terry; hope you don't think less of me, but I really like my T/C Carbine in 45Auto. Wouldn't mind a lever in one too.
1st, Its a 45
2nd, Its shoots like a big 22
3rd, 255RFN at 1050fps will do anything I need
4th, 45ACP ammo is easier to find than 45Colt in my part of the state
5th, Did I mention its a 45 :mrgreen:

I do have a matching 1911, 45 colt lever and 4-5/8' Blackhawk to complete the 45 set. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

3leggedturtle wrote:Terry; hope you don't think less of me, but I really like my T/C Carbine in 45Auto. Wouldn't mind a lever in one too.
1st, Its a 45
2nd, Its shoots like a big 22
3rd, 255RFN at 1050fps will do anything I need
4th, 45ACP ammo is easier to find than 45Colt in my part of the state
5th, Did I mention its a 45 :mrgreen:

I do have a matching 1911, 45 colt lever and 4-5/8' Blackhawk to complete the 45 set. Todd
NOPE, IT DOES NOT BOTHER ME ONE BIT, AND YOU FOR DARN SURE WILL NOT BE CHASING BRASS DOWN THE RATTLESNAKE HOLES.
THIS IS ALSO THE REASON I SHOOT MY COLT SAA 45ACP[ORIGINAL CALIBER], THE TWO S&W 45ACP M25'S, THE CIMMARON 45/45, THE HARTFORD 45/45, AND HAVE NOT SHOT A 45ACP SHELLSHUCKER IN A COON'S AGE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Terry Murbach wrote:why---WHY....WOULD ANYONE WANT TO HAVE A 45ACP RIFLE OR CARBINE?
.45 ACP is a hoot to simply fun around with out of a carbine like the Marlin Camp or the Just Right. A HOOT! AND I KNOW A HOOT WHEN I'M HAVI'N ONE!! :shock: :lol:

That said, out of a lever gun...well, there are others I'd have first.

Also, there's something intangible but really wonderful about a hand full of those golden quail eggs we call "hard ball". Out with the boys, an ammo can full of 'em...it don't get no better.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Terry Murbach wrote:why---WHY....WOULD ANYONE WANT TO HAVE A 45ACP RIFLE OR CARBINE ? AND SINCE WHEN IS IT A CARTRIDGE TO BE USED IN SASS ??
Actually Terry,

Wild Bunch requires a minimum power factor that equates to about about 811fps with a 185gr minimum bullet. But, that's an absolute floor, so most shooters are using around 800fps & 200gr bullets to make sure they're above the floor. No, that ain't quite like "real" ammo, but, at larger matches, (state championships and above), all ammo is chrono'd and 1911s safety checked. And, like most shooting "games"... the challenge is in what one makes of it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!